John Williams receives Harvard honorary degree

Dzadza

Thank you for sharing this @Dzadza!!! And welcome to the MB! :)

Btw do we know how many honorary doctorates Wiliams has from different universities in the US?  

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Btw do we know how many honorary doctorates Wiliams has from different universities in the US?  

Too many! They're handing them out to everyone over in the US, it seems, even to those who have no previous connection to the university.

Interestingly, Williams doesn't have that long education when you put all of his semesters together. It would hardly amount to a Bachelor's Degree today. But at that point, it was more important for budding performers to "train with the best" mentors. And in that regard, he succeeded.

But I'm sure he makes up for it with all these Honorary Awards.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Too many!

Considering that they're academically meaningless, I don't really think it matters how many a university gives out.  These things have always been a way for professor-types to get a famous person to come to their parties.

Anyway:

Mr. Williams holds honorary degrees from twenty-one American universities, including The Juilliard School, Berklee College of Music in Boston, Boston College, Northeastern University, Tufts University, Boston University, the New England Conservatory of Music, the University of Massachusetts at Boston, The Eastman School of Music, the Oberlin Conservatory of Music, and the University of Southern California.

http://www.jwfan.com/?page_id=132

Congrats to the maestro!

Though I wonder if these comical tributes of his "greatest hits" ever test his patience, especially when done in front of a largely academic audience.

Some part of him must wish there was there was this sort of appreciation for his lesser-known, or more "academic", for the lack of a better word, works.

41 minutes ago, KK said:

Congrats to the maestro!

Though I wonder if these comical tributes of his "greatest hits" ever test his patience, especially when done in front of a largely academic audience.

Some part of him must wish there was there was this sort of appreciation for his lesser-known, or more "academic", for the lack of a better word, works.

he knows what has buttered his bread to the non-musical public--why do you think he keeps scoring SW films at 85.  I am sure he appreciates when musicians, such as Ma, Perlman, and Slatkin, praise his concert music.  But at Harvard, I think he was genuinely tickled by the performance. 

11 hours ago, KK said:

Congrats to the maestro!

I would love to hear Williams some day be able to say to these people:

Oh angel babies those a cappella renditions of Crimebuster from Heartbeeps, The Training Montage from SpaceCamp and Killing of Marcel from The Images were fantastic! 

12 hours ago, KK said:

Why would he be bothered by it? He's a humble guy, he knows how privileged he is and what an immense platform he has to push out his works. Even his lesser-known works are far more publicised and have a wider reach than 99% of contemporary composers. Do you think anyone has ever said no when he asked about recording or debuting a new work?

No, he did not study at Harvard. As others have said, these 'honorary awards' are just an excuse for professors to get a celeb to their parties.

The only 'honorary awards' worth anything for Williams would be UCLA, Julliard and Los Angeles City College. Even then they would be academically meaningless, but at least relevant as an award for a former student.

Now if Williams can just manage to not be a secret rapist, he should be able to hold down all these honorary degrees.

(Universities fell over themselves in a rush to revoke all of  Bill Cosby's honorary doctorates.)

"I have no degree, but I have an honorary degree from Juilliard which is kind of like a nerf vibrator. Nice to look at! Doesn't do a lot." - Robin Williams

21 hours ago, KK said:

Congrats to the maestro!

Who knows how often he even really hears these sorts of tributes. Especially since they're students who prepared it just for the occasion I'm sure he was flattered.

I doubt a man at his age and with his experience has much time anymore for that kind of insecurity. Worrying that they're making him look lame in front of all the cool Harvard people. That sort of thing seems important at 22 but at 85?

On 2017-5-27 at 10:22 AM, Docteur Qui said:

Why would he be bothered by it? He's a humble guy, he knows how privileged he is and what an immense platform he has to push out his works. Even his lesser-known works are far more publicised and have a wider reach than 99% of contemporary composers. Do you think anyone has ever said no when he asked about recording or debuting a new work?

Actually Kathleen Battle declined to premiere Williams' Seven for Luck.

• 1 year later...
On 5/27/2017 at 12:27 PM, Richard said:

What's JW done to get this honorary degree? Did he study at Harvard?

I didn't study at Harvard. Can I get an honorary degree?

Yes, if you write a gazillion Star Wars scores.