• Patton
    • Star Trek The Motion Picture
    • Poltergeist
    • Medicine Man
    • Small Soldiers
    • Mulan (Score)
    • Gremlins
    • Gremlins 2: The New Batch
    • Other (any of the other many many scores Jerry has done. Please explain why in a post

I am just curious to see which scores are you favorite of Jerry's.

Mine is a tie between Small Soldiers and Poltergeist because of the way they are written and how I enjoyed them growing up.

LEGEND. Because it has everything - tonal, abstract, impressionism, romanticism, electronics/orchestra fusion - and even though some of it is aesthetically questionable it's exactly this kind of brave try-and-error forward-thinking which made Goldsmith such musical giant.

I wanted to like Legend, and did for a while, but I think something about it started to grate on me, and I'm also pretty sure I heard it once while I had the flu and that totally tarnished it for me.  As for my favorite Jerry score, the human adventure is just beginning....

For album -- THE MUMMY

For score-in-movie -- probably ALIEN

The first is simply a rambunctious adventure affair, filled to the brim with awesome ethnic elements, melody and catchy meters and rhythms (slightly more streamlined than he used to be). It's good in the movie too, but it really rocks on album. As far as soundtrack albums go, nothing beats Jerry in the 90s, IMO.

The second is a tour-de-force of organic scoring, with elements mirroring and expanding upon all the audiovisual ideas in the film (both narrative and Freudian). I like his original conceptualization, but I think the Scott/Rawlings-edited version is superior in every way.

"Legend" is awesome, but nothing will ever beat "Alien"! Ridley Scott did really not know what he has got.

"Alien" is musically complex and maybe the other score I mentioned is the only one that has the same atmospheric density. Additionally I have to mention the brilliant and unique instrumentation of the xenomorph which consists of conches, a serpent and a didjeridoo. "Alien" is a score that has EVERYTHING Jerry Goldsmith is admirable for!

"The Mummy" was my first Goldsmith score, but the OST has a weird gap of a certain chapter of the movie.

Gremlins 2 is ace. But so is 'Lionheart' (in the 'when knighthood was in flower' category), 'Under Fire' and a zillion others from different eras (say, 'Seconds' or 'Papillon') that today will be flattened by stuff like 'The Mummy' or '13th Warrior'. Goldsmith is harder to favourite than even Morricone - he lacks the elevator hits but still has so many different highlights every mention of a single score feels like a betrayal.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

The second is a tour-de-force of organic scoring, with elements mirroring and expanding upon all the audiovisual ideas in the film (both narrative and Freudian). I like his original conceptualization, but I think the Scott/Rawlings-edited version is superior in every way.

Drax? The score is so minimized in the film, even when it should really come alive, like when they land the ship. It just get lost much of the time. Like tears in the rain.

Star Trek V, which has slowly been growing in my book over Star Trek: TMP. It has everything. Several great themes, it's exciting, it's relaxing when it needs to be, and it's great to listen to on its own as well.

There are so many to choose from though. Goldsmith had a great diverse filmography / discography of scores. It's been great to go through it.

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Star Trek V, which has slowly been growing in my book over Star Trek: TMP. It has everything. Several great themes, it's exciting, it's relaxing when it needs to be, and it's great to listen to on its own as well.

Another one has seen the light!

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Another one has seen the light!

I'm a fan of all of his Star Trek scores. I loved how he approached just about every sequel he did, as opposed to other composers simply rehashing their work, Goldsmith usually attempted something a bit different. 

4 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

Curse you, @dillweed97, and your limited poll options!

Haha what can I say I was sleepy when I wrote the poll and some of his bigger themes I am not really a fan of :P

There are many to choose from besides ST:TMP & POLTERGEIST but SUPERGIRL was an epic score for me big broad sweeping themes and exciting action cues.,  the avant guarde  ALIEN which is masterpiece of terror and THE FINAL CONFLICT.

3 hours ago, azahid said:

There are many to choose from besides ST:TMP & POLTERGEIST but SUPERGIRL was an epic score for me big broad sweeping themes and exciting action cues.,  the avant guarde  ALIEN which is masterpiece of terror and THE FINAL CONFLICT.

You know I just realized I have never listened to Supergirl haha

2 hours ago, dillweed97 said:

YOu know I just realized I have never listened to Supergirl haha

SUPERGIRL was my first Goldsmith score that I officially fell in love with and then I discovered Goldsmith.

4 minutes ago, azahid said:

SUPERGIRL was my first Goldsmith score that I officially fell in love with and then I discovered Goldsmith.

Ah mine was Small Soldiers when I realized who he was. I remember being a little kid and loving Poltergeist and then after learning about music and all then finding out who did it.

My first album was "The Mummy", then "Hollow Man", then "Alien" and "Gremlins".

I have never listened to "Mulan" and "Lionheart". The only essential scores of Jerry Goldsmith I do not own yet, but that's 1. because the OST of "Mulan" is real shit with 7 tracks and I'm waiting for an expansion by Intrada or La-La Land and 2. because "Lionheart" is OOP and I'm waiting for a re-release by Varese Sarabande.

I had a friend send me Alien as tape dub from Glasgow. Unfortunately the music was too dark for my taste and was not the bright orchestral sound I was looking for. However it was many years later I rediscovered ALIEN and just about then the Varese Goldsmith box set appeared with the unreleased music and I was hooked. The Intrada set is Dynamite😆

• 3 months later...

My favorite Jerry scores are Alien and Star Trek TMP, and I suppose something like Twilight Zone The Movie, Poltergeist, Gremlins, Total Recall, Basic Instinct, Star Trek First Contact, Air Force One and Mulan would round out my top 10.

And the man composed over 150 scores why these particular ones on the poll?  And why is it a multi-select poll?  Oddities abound!

On 5/29/2017 at 5:52 PM, Disco Stu said:

Yeah it's a pretty stupid selection.  Small Soldiers?  Gremlins 1 and 2?  No Planet of the Apes? No Sand Pebbles?  The Goldsmith fans who seem to only care about his scores for trashy 80s and 90s movies are so weird.

Yeah I stand by this comment about the poll selections.