Sweeping Strings

Shameless plug for my work friend's debut novel ...

... published last week. This seemed the most appropriate part of the forum to do this, I hope no-one minds. I think it's an amazing achievement and am doing what I can in my own small way to help her out :) .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taint-Jude-Nicholas/dp/1999716604/ref=la_B0717517BG_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1495653031&sr=1-1

It's self-published, she hasn't got an agent and her publicising of it is entirely Twitter and Instagram-based. Add that to it only having come out 10 days ago, and I think we can expect it to be a while before reviews start to appear.    

Richard my friend, Lord alone knows how long you'll wait for reviews. So I offer my own thoughts (granted, they are based on being only 70 pages into a 354 page novel) about 2 niggles with it which might well bug you too. 

First of all, although the lead character is an American teenage girl who is narrating in the first person and therefore talks about cherry soda, cell phones etc ... she also uses the non-US spellings of words like color, center and gray. Once I noticed this, it became a 'cannot be unseen' thing and I found it pretty jarring. Raised this with my friend, she said that it was a case of 'not wanting to argue with the computer'. I thought of saying 'But ... don't word processors have an American dictionary setting?', but held my tongue. 

Also (and I haven't had the heart/nerve to mention this yet) ... I guess self-publishing also means self-proofreading, because in those 70 pages I've noticed about 13 typos so far. Some small (like missing/misplaced punctuation), some pretty major (missing words). The combo of these 2 things does have the effect of 'throwing me out' of the story, unfortunately.

I will persevere, but I really don't know if I'll finish it :/ .       

100 pages in, and the typos had went up to 18 ... having had my reading 'flow' interrupted once too often I gave up and told friend so, apologising for having done so and admitting to feeling guilty about it. She told me not to feel sorry or guilty, saying that there was no way now for her to fix the issues with any ease and therefore it didn't bother her.

Curious attitude for someone who is clearly hoping that this book will be the start of an authorial career and their route out of 'office-drone' work. Of course, maybe she's putting on a brave face.  

On 7/1/2017 at 12:56 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

If you click on the link, there are now 3 reviews. One 5-star, two 2-star.  

I just stumbled over this thread. Self-published books can indeed seem unprofessional if the author doesn't have an eye for details (errors) or support from others who have. Just out of curiosity, did your friend sell many copies?

Current Amazon 'bestseller ranking'  of the paperback edition - 1,741,866 

And of the Kindle edition - 984,594 

I'm guessing she didn't. We're no longer friends ... long story short, turns out my giving up on the book after 100 pages wasn't OK with her after all.