What is the Last Cue You Listened To?

Sharkissimo

7 hours ago, Sharky said:

can't get Jerry's sombre march for the Luftstreitkräfte (or is it Stachel's ruthless ambition?) out of my head. Creates a sense of one's fate already being written, as you tread slowly towards oblivion. Check out the false relations in the counterline at 0:50. It's somewhat reminiscent of the Main Titles from The Sand Pebbles, but even better.

Even better, it's just a minor-mode variation on the main title, as are all the other themes and motifs. They guy sure knew how to stay true to his concept.

Another star-sudded half-serious Agatha Christie-adaptation, another big luxurious tune that could grace any epic. Those were the times.

A smattering of cues from The Village and Snow Falling On Cedars.  Great companion pieces, though the former is the more refined and mature work.  Quite breathtaking in its elegance and subtlety.

The four-note main theme from 'Snow' is too timid and vague to make the score stand out.

Speaking of which, 'Vertical Limit' is another JNH from around this era that is no masterpiece but listened through the distance of 17 more or less dismal years it appears to be classy and robust - if not exactly challenging - adventure score. Most importantly, back then re-use fees still meant an agreeable length of, in this case, 45 minutes.

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

The four-note main theme from 'Snow' is too timid and vague to make the score stand out.

The score was always more about ambience anyway. One of his finest, without a doubt.

I think I prefer it over The Village, even though the latter is the more accessible work.

The RVW/Pärt inspired parts and the sweet americana for me. As a whole it kind of lacks focus, as if JNH didn't really got what the movie was about (fundamentally). I don't blame him, it's hard being called up to supply a thick cover of false importance.

The 36-minute reworking makes the score appear better than it is (in original form). Also one of Tomlinson's greats, even if the hiss is distracting.

On 15/06/2017 at 4:25 AM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Soundtrack Factory has just brought out a 2-disc set, of this, and very fantastic, it is, too!

15 hours ago, Jay said:

Surprise Attack from TWOK

G.O.A.T.

I love SURPRISE ATTACK, Jay, but..."G.O.A.T."?

On 21/06/2017 at 7:26 PM, KK said:

There are certain cues that aim higher and channel something raw, but intangibly metaphysical. This is one of them:

All this JANE EYRE talk plus the nice weather, got me thinking: what's goes well with a nice glass of red, on the patio, on a late-evening Summer's day? Answer: STRING QUARTET FESTIVITY AT THORNFIELD.

Bottoms up! 

7 hours ago, Richard said:

I love SURPRISE ATTACK, Jay, but..."G.O.A.T."?

Greatest of all time

One of my favourite takes on Zimmer's staple "gating", if you will, set-pieces:

Good suspense writing.

On 6/24/2017 at 4:27 AM, Richard said:

Thanks for that, Jay, but...wha'?! :o

Better than BATTLE IN THE MUTARA NEBULA, or GENESIS COUNTDOWN, or KIRK'S EXPLOSIVE REPLY?

Those are all great tracks but Surprise Attack is just the freakin' tits

20 hours ago, Jay said:

Those are all great tracks but Surprise Attack is just the freakin' tits

15 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Yes! 

(shakes head) I don't know why I bother.:(

Anyway, they worship at the altar of STEALING THE ENTERPRISE.

Like JNH Horner - even in his more schmaltzy incarnations - had reached a state of elegance that gave simple americana a lift that other composers could not. Also this piece goes ballsy in most agreeable ways: note the Khan fanfare at 02:40!

On 6/28/2017 at 5:09 PM, publicist said:

Like JNH Horner - even in his more schmaltzy incarnations - had reached a state of elegance that gave simple americana a lift that other composers could not. Also this piece goes ballsy in most agreeable ways: note the Khan fanfare at 02:40!

One of the best action pieces of his career!