What is the Last Cue You Listened To?

Sharkissimo

On 1/6/2020 at 7:45 AM, Edmilson said:

Aunt May's theme from the Raimi Spidey movies is still one of the best and most touching things Elfman has ever written.

What do you think of Young's unused theme for 3? While I do like Elfman's and appreciate them reinstating it for the theatrical cut (even if it isn't always appropriate), something about Chris's really gets me in a way the original one doesn't. A bit of a shame it isn't too high in the mix in the Editor's Cut, but i do appreciate it being restored all the same.

21 hours ago, HunterTech said:

What do you think of Young's unused theme for 3? While I do like Elfman's and appreciate them reinstating it for the theatrical cut (even if it isn't always appropriate), something about Chris's really gets me in a way the original one doesn't. A bit of a shame it isn't too high in the mix in the Editor's Cut, but i do appreciate it being restored all the same.

Listening to Young's (inexplicably and revoltingly unreleased) score for Spidey 3 was a revelation, there was so much good material in there that went almost unused, like this Aunt May's theme and a new love theme. Young even did a pop song version of the love theme, to try to appeal to the current trends! Unfortunately, he wasn't treated well by the fucking imbeciles at Sony.

Still, Spider-Man 3 is just another evidence that Young needs to be scoring more big, high profile movies, and not just weird stuff and the ocasional mid budget horror movie.

Despite the too-stately playing, this recording of Rózsa's as-usually-historically super-accurate translation of pilgrim's psalms into a rousing orchestral score for MGM's 1952 'Plymouth Adventure' is a great summation. The film is beyond boring, but the music is anything but.

One of the best unreleased cues from The Village:

The Village has so much wonderful unreleased material that somehow didn't get into the OST, and despite bootlegs existing all over the internet, I would love for some specialty label doing JNH's earlier Shyamalan scores complete and chronological.

Sometimes (like just now) a cue from Pleasantville comes on and I remember: Oh yeah, this is, like, some of the greatest film music ever written.  Honestly, at the Academy Awards for 1998, I'd have voted for Pleasantville over Saving Private Ryan (and I love Saving Private Ryan).

3 hours ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

From 2 minutes onwards, after the reprise of Rue's Farewell, it becomes one of JNH's very best tracks this decade. I specially love when the music turns sad at 4:19, as Katniss is having a nightmare on the train and is calmed down by Peeta. It's like the music is emphazing with her suffering in amidst all of that mess.

Silvestri's more emotional music for Contact, Forrest Gump, Cast Away, The First Avenger and Avengers Endgame, among others, may not be complex musically outstanding, but their simple quality is their biggest strength, because it gives them an honest, folk quality.

You know when your grandma may not have the same level of academic study than you, but she always find a way of comforting you through her simple wisdom and motherly love? It's kinda like that, if that makes any sense, lol.

• 1 month later...

The hymn-like melody developed from 3:09 - 7:10 of the suite from Copland's Our Town score is truly jaw-dropping.  Incredibly stirring and bittersweet.  Ample evidence of what a great composer can accomplish with the simplest of materials.

Thief of Bagdad's The Market and Love of the Princess

As great as the rerecording effort is, the program as released is a bit janky, I moved Market at the end for example. I feel these two make a great post-story epliogue pair, a sort of "where are they now?" Market presents the I Want To Be A Sailor in a big developed fashion much more well-suited to come after the Finale than right after the playful introduction in Thief Sequence and of course Love of the Princess presents "ultimate" statements of Princess and Ahmad too.

4 hours ago, Fabulin said:

Max Steiner's overture to Mildred Pierce, right now my favourite melody of his.

https://voca.ro/ndhbksi7ZwU

The film recording is superb. Steiner's tutti impetuoso conducting of the WB fanfare leaves toothless renditions in other scores or re-recordings in the dust.

The violins and the trumpeteer soloist play their hearts out too. The final solo is soo satisfying :) 

There is the sound of waves crashing present, and the ending is rather abrupt, but it's totally listenable, and beautifully so.

What do you think, @TheUlyssesian ?

It is quite fantastic. I actually have never seen the film so this is the first I am hearing the music. The theme is classic Steiner with its construction. The interlude or the B part is actually very warm and beautiful. Surrounding it the A phrase I think would be instantly memorable should I hear it a few more times.

Great piece! Thanks for sharing it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/24/2020 at 10:39 AM, CelMech said:

Heard the 'Altered States' score for the first time a few days ago, and I keep coming back to this track:

Check out the film!

Amazing combo of music and imagery. As is usual in a Ken Russell film!

Btw if you're ever in SF , come by and listen on a real stereo - mine

• 2 weeks later...

I don't listen to that score often, but every time I do, I love what I hear and think to myself that I need to listen to it more often!