What is the Last Cue You Listened To?

Sharkissimo

• 3 weeks later...

I still wish they had budgeted for a real choir to do the bit at the end, the synth choir still sounds weird to me after all this time

Being a tad facetious with the "1997 feel" comment, but I really do love the specific feel given to that motif by the synth choir.  Adds a feeling of mystery that wouldn't be the same with a real choir.  I've also just always had a weird attraction to synthesized voices in general, they always make my ears go 'oh that's interesting'.

But the scene that bit was written for isn't a mysterious scene, its footage of the dinosaurs enjoying life on the island.  I get why Spielberg replaced it with the old JP theme

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

But the scene that bit was written for isn't a mysterious scene, its footage of the dinosaurs enjoying life on the island.  I get why Spielberg replaced it with the old JP theme

Sure but it's not like a real choir would fit the scene any better,  it's an ominous motif either way.   Speaking of the score purely as a musical experience, disregarding the film context completely, I certainly prefer the score ending this way to the film version of the cue.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I certainly prefer the score ending this way to the film version of the cue.

Oh hell yea, me too!

"Dunn and Duffy Circus Train" (aka the second cue inside "Indy's Very First Adventure")

I think this might be one of my favorite Williams action cues of all time.  Pure, unadulterated fun with expert juggling of themes

I have not seen the movie, but this is pretty cool.  Original music by Jay Wadley for the 2020 Charlie Kaufman movie I'm Thinking of Ending Things.

For some reason there's no official release of this score.  This cue is clearly ripped from the movie, you can hear some SFX at times. 

Great film, and the music is very good too. Although it's pretty much just the ballet music in the film, along with some ambient remixes and a few jingles. Guess there's not much of an album there.

2 minutes ago, KK said:

Great film, and the music is very good too. Although it's pretty much just the ballet music, along with some ambient remixes and a few jingles. Guess there's not much an album there.

Luckily googling around I figured out that Wadley posted the clean recording on Soundcloud.  It's really good!

19 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Luckily googling around I figured out that Wadley posted the clean recording on Soundcloud.  It's really good!

Love this ballet dearly. The movie was both supremely emotional and frustrating in equal measure for me (that's Kaufman for you) but this ballet and its place in the story is yearn-central, and it made me melt.

I kind of wish they'd do a soundtrack release. There's the Tulsey Town jingle, a main title that's a separate recording of the ballet's first half, and while the rest of the cues are pretty subdued/ambient, they all seem to draw from the ballet.

Wasn't really sure where to post this because it's not really jazz or classical or pop.

Anyway, on this beautiful snow day I listened to Angela Morley's gorgeous arrangement of Claude Thornhill's "Snowfall" from the 1950s:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It’s a score that I enjoy more with each listen... he did a good job here.

I’d like to see Howard work with Paul Greengrass more if he continues to make things of this sort. By the sounds of it they had a good working relationship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FACT: “Mr. Banks is Discharged” is one of the greatest score cues of all time.  Or at least it has great emotional significance to me.  That’s how we measure the greatness of movie music, right?

I still love that cue!  A lot of posters seemed to think action tracks like "A Swarm Reception" and "MotorCycles Of Relief" were better, but I dunno, this one does it for me in a way none of those do.  It's cues like this that make me continue to love Giacchino's big blockuster sound.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The more I listen to this cue, the more fascinating it gets. The way JW creates a "sheen" of sound with the high strings is particularly effective (especially at the beginning). And the statement of the Ark theme at 3:27 contains possibly the creepiest bars of music in the entire score...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you need any evidence of the brilliance of Alexander Courage as an arranger and orchestrator, you need look no further than "Fresh Air" from Superman IV.  Just absolutely amazing.  If I'm honest, I prefer it to Williams' own standalone concert arrangement of the love theme.

• 3 weeks later...