What is the Last Cue You Listened To?

Sharkissimo

• 3 weeks later...

It has been said before, but no harm in doing it again.

Everytime I listen to the opening of one of the Star Wars scores (which is quite a lot), everytime I can't believe how good it is!!

It never ever gets dull or annoying or repetitive. It blows my mind everytime.

Listening to David Arnold's score to The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader.

The majority of this cue sounds like it's been plucked right out of one of his Bond scores. What a frigging blinder of a track!

Diesel's Final Pursuit from Hummie Mann's Thomas and the Magic Railroad

I always love it when the score to a film aimed at younger kids is bold enough to not pull its punches.  That climax in particular gets me pumped up every time!

One of the best "training montage" cues I ever heard, fight me.

I'm confident Batman Begins is my favorite Bat-movie (though not the favorite Bat-score despite my love for the above cue).

I quite like this piano version of Seven Years in Tibet.

Apart from that this album contains some of the worst piano adaptations of movie themes that I ever heard. But this one I like.

Funny that this album also contains a version of the theme from Love Story of which I always got reminded by Seven Years in Tibet.

Don't know if anyone else here knows these guys. But around 10 years ago I really listened to a lot of the stuff that they did. I was going through an old playlist and came across this. This is my favourite piece by them. It's so cool and get goosebumps from it everytime, especially when the whole orchestra joins in and they play part of Beethoven's 5th Symphony.

Jones's League of Gentlemen score is fundamentally amazing. It's a shame the film did not do well and got mired in all kinds of controversy, and Varese botched the release of the CD, but this was weirdly his swan song - yes, he did a few other films since then but nothing significant. I met him at the London Fans of Film Music event in 2018 but did not dare to ask about this film - I don't think it was a happy project for anyone at all. Please someone go into the Leeds archives and start releasing a lot of this music as there is a wealth of material out there. I asked him about complete releases of GI Jane and Merlin and all he said at the time was that he composed tons of music for each. I know labels have had a shit of a time getting him to release his work, but at least at this event he was well game (ie. fan service). It seems like he is protective of his IP rights to the extreme - strange:

On 15/12/2022 at 2:53 PM, Knight of Ren said:

Seriously, At World's End is one of my favorite Zimmer scores ever. It has his style everywhere, but he manages to develop all his (fantastic) themes in new and interesting ways and present them in a completely orchestral package that is pure fun from beginning to end! Such a great score and definitely my favorite from the Pirates saga!

That cue is great, and I really hope there's some kind of expanded release sometime, because there are some lovely cues not on the OST (like Jack & Beckett or the Maelstrom cues)

I totally agree here - it contains such a wealth of great themes and full orchestral rambunctiousness that, while not Cutthroat Island level, is massively massively impressive, especially with the themes HZ has built throughout the franchise. If it was released as a complete edition, fans would appreciate the complexity of the score. I think it got lost in the bad album edit stuff HZ did at the time and his silly reorientation into a sound designer.

I bought the blu-ray 2-pack for The Rescuers films recently, and decided I needed this score immediately.

This cue especially is just so amazing!  I love the mickey-mousing for every city the message hits in the map shots, and just how upfront Broughton is with his themes in general!

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The "worst franchise ever produced by Hollywood" still managed to have some astounding music, my favorite being this lovely short cue:

What cue is it. It's blocked for me

On 16/03/2023 at 3:03 PM, ThePenitentMan1 said:

I bought the blu-ray 2-pack for The Rescuers films recently, and decided I needed this score immediately.

This cue especially is just so amazing!  I love the mickey-mousing for every city the message hits in the map shots, and just how upfront Broughton is with his themes in general!

This reminds me a lot of Willow. But Broughton mostly reminds me of something else.

On 16/03/2023 at 2:03 PM, ThePenitentMan1 said:

While this is very good typical Broughton, I have been mystified by the near legendary status this had in the early 1990s (probably due to the scarcity of the CD). 7

It's not much more than cartoonised outtakes from Young Sherlock Holmes (which is still Broughton's magnum opus). It' still very professional and innovative, but the small scale of the orchestra and the mickey mousing make it sound like an 80s Disney film.....

Invariably re-appraising Kamen whom I loved in the early 1990s and grew to dislike in the late 1990s and early 2000s (his work was very same-y by then and sometimes a bit sloppy, and I am totally turned off by all his concertos etc - saxophone, electric guitar, 'dad' music that makes Kenny G say hi, cringe.....).

I liked Die Hard 2 when it came out, and it obviously has a couple of barnstormer tracks that set the scene for orchestral film music for the next 3-5 years - The Runway, and Snowmobile, but I think this wild madhouse has gone underappreciated, probably because it was unreleased until Varese's expansion:

Just came upon this piece by spanish composer Diego Navarro and absolutely loved it. It's for a spanish movie from last year and there's no score release so far, but the composer released the love theme on his YouTube channel and is a gorgeous, heartfelt and romantic piece of music that instantly reminded me of JNH's The Village, which is one of my favorite scores ever. The lovely violin solos are stunning, and the main theme is memorable and emotional, so it was quite a great find!

If the rest of the score is in this style, it would be interesting to hear a proper score release.