THE POST - SCORE Thread

Don't see why not, probably a sparsely scored drama requiring minimal music.

There seems to be a concerted effort from Disney to wrap up post on TLJ early, likely so they can devote their full resources to Han Solo for more than a paltry 5 months. They might have already finished the score?

I'd guess Spielberg will have a cut of Papers by August and they could start sessions by October. If required, that allows November for TLJ pick-ups then Dec/Jan/Feb for RPO.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Don't see why not, probably a sparsely scored drama requiring minimal music.

There seems to be a concerted effort from Disney to wrap up post on TLJ early, likely so they can devote their full resources to Han Solo for more than a paltry 5 months. They might have already finished the score?

I'd guess Spielberg will have a cut of Papers by August and they could start sessions by October. If required, that allows November for TLJ pick-ups then Dec/Jan/Feb for RPO.

Why would he not already be scoring RPO within this scenario? 

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

Why would be not already be scoring RPO within this scenario? 

Well if TLJ sessions are over/nearly over, he'd probably take a short break from writing? He's already done some preliminary work on RPO, apparently. I guess he can continue with that until Papers is ready.

We don't really know what state RPO's in though. It's almost entirely mocap so who knows if it's ready for spotting yet.

I'm going to be a bit of a heretic here and say I would rather have someone like Thomas Newman do this than Williams. The only way I would be interested in a Williams score for this is if the movie would allow him to write a score that is a crossbreed of Munich and David Shire's 70s thriller scores like All the President's Men or The Conversation. But I honestly can't imagine Williams being able to stretch that far based on what I expect of Spielberg for this (and I liked both Lincoln and Bridge of Spies). This project just doesn't sound that interesting, but I would love to be proved wrong. I am more interested in what kind of score Ready Player One could lead to than The Papers.

51 minutes ago, GWU08 said:

I'm going to be a bit of a heretic here and say I would rather have someone like Thomas Newman do this than Williams. The only way I would be interested in a Williams score for this is if the movie would allow him to write a score that is a crossbreed of Munich and David Shire's 70s thriller scores like All the President's Men or The Conversation. But I honestly can't imagine Williams being able to stretch that far based on what I expect of Spielberg for this (and I liked both Lincoln and Bridge of Spies). This project just doesn't sound that interesting, but I would love to be proved wrong. I am more interested in what kind of score Ready Player One could lead to than The Papers.

Agreed. But then again, I kinda like PRESUMED INNOCENT. I'm thinking the score will sound somewhat like that.

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

We don't really know what state RPO's in though. It's almost entirely mocap so who knows if it's ready for spotting yet.

Wasn't a problem for Tintin. 

Anyway any assignment John Williams takes is good news to me. Along with more music, it means he's doing well and enjoying work. All I want to know. 

22 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Random thought: When composers work on more than one film at a time, do you suppose they come up with a great idea for one film and choose to use it in the other?

I just had a great thought concerning the Men of Yorktown March.  This has the to be the oldest piece Williams has revised for concert purposes. 

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Random thought: When composers work on more than one film at a time, do you suppose they come up with a great idea for one film and choose to use it in the other?

It goes further and more dastardly that that; they think up some themes months and years before working on projects, and save them for a suitable movie. 

As far as I know, the next movie Williams scoring/recording dates have already been booked for the orchestra.....And they are still recording TLJ.

3 minutes ago, azahid said:

As far as I know, the next movie Williams scoring/recording dates have already been booked for the orchestra.....And they are still recording TLJ.

Are those bookings for TLJ or something else?

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Are those bookings for TLJ or something else?

Those dates/bookings are for the next Williams film project after he wraps up TLJ. TLJ session resumes next week!

1 hour ago, azahid said:

Those dates/bookings are for the next Williams film project after he wraps up TLJ. TLJ session resumes next week!

Wow, interesting scoop. Any idea how many TLJ sessions are booked after the next one?

And what month roughly are the following sessions booked for? Any earlier than August and they're probably for RPO.

It seems like Spielberg has made this movie before. At times like these, I almost wish Williams were less exclusive in his late-career partnerships. 

16 hours ago, Quintus said:

It goes further and more dastardly that that; they think up some themes months and years before working on projects, and save them for a suitable movie. 

Well, yes. 

I like JW's smaller scores. I've even grown to like The Book Thief quite a bit. It would have been cool to see how JW would have scored Bridge of Spies, what themes he would have written and just how he would have told that story musically. Whatever tone Spielberg goes for with The Papers, I hope JW scores it instead of Thomas Newman or anyone else.

That is an interest point that's been made: This definitely has the potential to be a borderline thriller. I read a book on the Pentagon Papers and it could get pretty gripping at times. We'll see how Spielberg plays this. I'm guessing it will be close to Bridge of Spies -- i.e. some thriller elements but not exactly Minority Report or anything like that. 

On 2017-6-8 at 8:21 AM, Quintus said:

Or they file away themes that a director or producer rejected for future use.

On 6/8/2017 at 0:39 PM, igger6 said:

It seems like Spielberg has made this movie before. At times like these, I almost wish Williams were less exclusive in his late-career partnerships. 

His talents are being wasted.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this is now Williams' 28th feature film collaboration with Spielberg.

30 collaborations increasingly looking like an uphill battle, the way Spielberg keeps changing projects and aligning them with Star Wars scores. If Williams starts Episode IX around July next year, he'll likely be unavailable for any Spielberg films next year (Mortara?)

I mean, they can count it however they want, it's not like it really matters either way. I'm guessing it was an enjoyable and meaningful project for them but 21 minutes isn't a feature film in any universe! :P 

It's definitely the 28th feature film collaboration.

1.     Sugarland Express (1974)

2.     Jaws (1975)

3.     Close Encounters (1977)

4.     1941 (1979)

5.     Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

6.     E.T. (1982)

7.     Temple of Doom (1984)

8.     Empire of the Sun (1987)

9.     The Last Crusade (1989)

10.   Always (1989)

11.   Hook (1991)

12.   Jurassic Park (1993)

13.   Schindler's List (1993)

14.   The Lost World (1997)

15.   Amistad (1997)

16.   Saving Private Ryan (1998)

17.   Artificial Intelligence (2001)

18.   Minority Report (2002)

19.   Catch Me If You Can (2002)

20.   The Terminal (2004)

21.   War of the Worlds (2005)

22.   Munich (2005)

23.   Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

24.   War Horse (2011)

25.   Tintin (2011)

26.   Lincoln (2012)

27.   The BFG (2016)

28.   The Papers (2017)

I'm hopeful Spielberg fits in another film between Ready Player One (March 2018) and Indiana Jones 5 (July 2020). Maybe he could pick up Mortara and shoot it next year? Otherwise, their 29th collaboration would be another Indiana Jones when he's 88 years old.

I'm hoping that his decision to leave RPO is so that he can do these last two Star Wars. The Papers is such a different mindset compositionally that it's fine to go between SW 8 and 9. He's done with scoring 8, so now to The Papers and then hopefully 9.

56 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It will feel like the score he would have done for Bridge Of Spies!

As long as he involves a choir, I'm in.

Yet to be disappointed by any Williams score that utilised choir; he's sadly abandoned them since ROTS. :( Hopefully a female choir plays a large part in TLJ's score.

38 minutes ago, crumbs said:

As long as he involves a choir, I'm in.

Yet to be disappointed by any Williams score that utilised choir; he's sadly abandoned them since ROTS. :( Hopefully a female choir plays a large part in TLJ's score.

15 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

Yeah, like the most subdued use of choir in Williams career? War of the Worlds had sparse choir too.

With any luck Williams was just laying the groundwork with subtlety in TFA, fully intending to return to glorious choral extravagance as the new trilogy unfolds.