THE POST - SCORE Thread

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I've demanded Main Title for The Papers involves a two hundred piece choir singing the weather forecast in yesterday's Washington Post, translated into Sanskrit.

:lol:

I reckon TLJ will have an increased choir presence but nothing like the prequels (well, the first and third anyway - don't even remember AOTC having one).

Then he'll go all out for IX, because it seems like the type of thing a populist director like Trev would ask for (especially knowing he'll need the music to compensate for mediocre directing).

EDIT: whoops, forgot all the great microedited Emperor material in the finale track, and Yoda and the Younglings!

I'd like to see how he approaches all that island stuff, especially if there's a lot of Force teaching. Seems like that big, dark tree looking thing with the book from the trailer could yield some evocative atmosphere, possibly choral. One thing I'm still curious about is that guy who saw that early footage of TLJ at some Disney event (with some shots that the teaser eventually confirmed like the rocks floating around Rey's fingers) mentioned also seeing this:

That kinda seems like a typical image for Williams to use female choir. You'd think he'd use it at some point in this trilogy for Rey.

• 3 months later...

I just hope it's a little outside the box. On paper, the film seems like a snoozefest to the point I can already hear the score. Hope I'm wrong!

Either way, two new Williams scores in the space of a week. Haven't had that for 6 years! And you can bet this score will be recorded and mixed within a fortnight, unlike the luxurious Star Wars schedule Disney have afforded him.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

I just hope it's a little outside the box. On paper, the film seems like a snoozefest to the point I can already hear the score. Hope I'm wrong!

Don't worry.  Any problems with this film will be fixed in Post.  

9 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

So we're officially getting 2 Williams scores this year (and the Kobe short).  Awesome!

I was just thinking how it's kinda surreal that we're going to close this year out with two Williamses back-to-back, followed by a whole year that will have a Spielberg movie and no less than three "Williams franchise" sequels, all without a John Williams score...

6 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I was just thinking how it's kinda surreal that we're going to close this year out with two Williamses back-to-back, followed by a whole year that will have a Spielberg movie and no less than three "Williams franchise" sequels, all without a John Williams score...

It remains to be seen if Mortara will be picked up where they left off. Spielberg could easily resume that film and wrap it for a December 2018 release.

But yes, it's a daunting prospect that we might need to wait until Episode IX until we hear another new JW score. Still not as bad as the dearth of new scores post-Munich and post-KOTCS though!

Plus there's always new expansions to look forward to. MM is probably already planning his post-CE3K project. :)

42 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Are those three movies really something we wanted a JW score for?  I would rather him use the time to compose a concert work or two (that he will compose something is a given) instead of movie retreads.  Solo is the only one that might have been worth it of those three.

All that being said, I would have liked a score to RPO.  

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Solo

Fantastic Beasts 2

Jurassic World 2

I doubt JW would have been that inspired by any of those movies.

And I like what JNH came up with for the Fantastic Beasts world, and Giacchino's JW had some nice ideas too.  Powell's Solo should be fun, I think!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I doubt JW would have been that inspired by any of those movies.

And I like what JNH came up with for the Fantastic Beasts world, and Giacchino's JW had some nice ideas too.  Powell's Solo should be fun, I think!

I agree!  But I also agree with @mrbellamy's point that it's pretty surreal, all these franchises that started with Williams still going strong.

Just now, Not Mr. Big said:

I'm personally hoping for something along the lines of Catch Me if You Can meets Spotlight (Howard Shore).  

As long as it's not Lincoln 2.0. (great score sure), and something more different, I'll be pleased. A Catch Me If You Can type score could be great. 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I agree!  But I also agree with @mrbellamy's point that it's pretty surreal, all these franchises that started with Williams still going strong.

Yeah, I'm actually anticipating all four of these 2018 scores. RPO is the only one I'm really all that disappointed he's not doing himself, mostly because obviously it's the only one he was actually going to do.

But I just think it's funny that after our heavy John Williams fix in December, we then enter into this parallel "Willams movies without Williams" world for awhile. Karmic!

Based on that image, I can't wait to hear The Self-Righteousness Scene.

3 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

The coolest part of getting these two scores back to back in quick succession is that they're polar opposites.  It'll be quite nice to have these two listening experiences from the same composer.

One will be listened to once, at most, quickly forgotten, and become a dust collector. The other will have dozens of discussion pages. 

Well, certainly "The Post" will never compete with a Star Wars film in terms of repeat listens for most of us, but I still think it's an interest dichotomy.  I'm glad to have the opportunity to experience them all the same.

Its cool that we do not know the tone of the movie and therefore the score is an unknown.  I hope Spielberg does not get blinded by the hate of Trump so as to make journalist glorious heroes of the republic.  Such hagiographical approach will fall flat.  Reporters, if honest, are valuable to an open society, but many of them tend to be a-holes with their sense of self-importance and entitlement.  A movie of this sort should try to paint an honest picture, though it could be done with humor and wit.  

I think some sort of plaintive solo piano theme is probably a given, and it'll be another lovely melody which is about all I can ask for. But it would be nice if the score overall were a little more high-energy or perhaps darker than Lincoln or The Book Thief. Not that I dislike those scores at all, but just to change it up so it doesn't feel like it was too predictable.

On October 31, 2017 at 7:16 AM, BloodBoal said:

I want a Scherzo For Paperwork And Orchestra cue 

On October 31, 2017 at 9:07 AM, crumbs said:

13. Scherzo for Paper Clips

I wouldn't be surprised if the OST is around 50 minutes!

It might come down to how much extra (IE not intended to be used in the actual movie) Williams writes/records.