THE POST - SCORE Thread

47 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Both composers were still very good with their worst efforts. That is something which not even Morricone could claim about his music.

Indeed, Morricone has written a lot of bad shit, and of course a few very good scores.

4 hours ago, king mark said:

Also it could be that the score is MIXED very badly  so that's why it was not standing out. It's been true of most JW scores in the past 20 years

I think that Williams style of music, when mixed too low, doesn't do it any favors

Harry Potter really was mixed well and gave his score a chance to shine.

I think for that reason HP1 is one of Williams best scores to listen to "in film" and the film is so much better for that.

23 hours ago, publicist said:

Let 'em come...

I really like some of Morricone's famous efforts, like The Untouchables, The Mission, the dollars trilogy and Once Upon a Time in the West. A while ago I wanted to go more in depth in his film music so I checked out many of his soundtracks on Spotify, both obscure ones and more familiar ones. Unfortunately, I found many of them unsatisfying from a purely musical standpoint. They may still work well in the movies though.

36 minutes ago, publicist said:

That's a bit too broad to hang a discussion onto, thus back to the topic at hand:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/upcoming-soundtrack-albums/

So there are two original Williams releases within a week in 2017.

Wasn't the soundtrack to The Post postponed until the movie's general release, 12 January?

They both sound like pizza toppings.

Well with any luck the film is actually overscored and extroverted, which is why that reviewer considered it "atrocious." A quiet Americana score in the vein of Lincoln would never be described as "atrocious", even by an ignoramus.

On 11/21/2017 at 1:54 PM, Disco Stu said:

Goodness.  Fetch me my smelling salts!

smelling-salts.gif

OMG Pride and Prejudice! lol,I love that mini Series :) 

As for my thoughts on the Post score..... I can't wait for TLJ!!!!

7 hours ago, artguy360 said:

The Americana stuff doesn't interest me. I'm not sure JW has much more to musically express working in that particular mode. Lincoln was like all out JW Americana. But JW conspiratorial stuff ala JFK and Nixon? I hope so.

Lincoln is not a good example, but I hope so too.

15 hours ago, TownerFan said:

I hope that the NBC-styled stuff the Kaplans mentioned is somehow related to the fugato-like writing of some of those pieces. 

No, he just literally quotes his NBC theme during a television news bulletin scene.

Trying not to get my hopes up too high but this is sounding good... :)

It's certainly more praise for the music than we got for TFA IIRC. 

I don't think it's that hard to believe that the audience might have given a little round of applause when his name popped up. It sounds like the score might have a few crowdpleasing, celebratory James Horner-isms. Which probably contribute to the comments about the film being a bit on the nose, but in a good way.