THE POST - SCORE Thread

12 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Rey's theme isn't catchy and memorable?  :huh: In fact, all the new themes in TFA are at least memorable.  If they were noticed in TLJ, then I would say the themes are memorable. :yes:

I think the TLJ new themes are more memorable than TFA

and we get better renditions of the themes from TFA in /TLJ

13 minutes ago, king mark said:

I think the TLJ new themes are more memorable than TFA

and we get better renditions of the themes from TFA in /TLJ

tumblr_p14c8l2Z5l1w8mobyo1_500.gif

(LOL)

15 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Rey's theme isn't catchy and memorable?  :huh: In fact, all the new themes in TFA are at least memorable.  If they were noticed in TLJ, then I would say the themes are memorable. :yes:

Yes, of course...but The Adventures of Tintin is not memorable (It's excelent score :)). In current Williams' music it's a lot motifs but no full theme for character...except for Rey. Nowadays, his music is more concert style than film style. I want simple theme, like Raiders March, or Imperial March with rich orchestration. That's reason why I love him. This is Tintin motif, not theme for main character?!

I do think the use of "March of the Resistance" in TLJ is so improved from TFA that I sort of consider it one of TLJ's themes at this point, since it barely made an impact in TFA.  Otherwise, I would not say the usage of the minor themes from TFA were improved in TLJ.  I feel about the same about Rey's theme in TLJ as I do in TFA: there's not as much of it which I don't like, but there's also some brilliant new variations which I like better (none found on album, of course.)

2017 has turned out to be an unexpectedly good year for JW source music. 2 loungey piano tracks and 1 off the wall alien jazz/big band track. I've always wanted to hear more of JW writing for ensembles other than full orchestra and it seems source cues are about as much as we're ever going to get. 

I'm currently on the 6th track, and I already absolutely love this score!

That's my type.

EDIT: tracks 4 and 8, that's John Williams whispering directly to my heart. :wub:

This score is now available to purchase or stream on all the usual digital platforms

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/1321453988

https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=B5gmxqhe4hqbrhgv6xtzfnnzbti

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XY9K1D

https://www.7digital.com/artist/john-williams/release/the-post-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-7187329 (16bit / 44.1khz FLAC)

https://www.7digital.com/artist/john-williams/release/the-post-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-7187330 (24 bit / 44.1khz FLAC)

https://open.spotify.com/album/3cTpZRRZFh3TkmSohIu9iD

etc

Physical CD is still planned for Friday, January 12th - the same day the film opens wide (its only playing in NY, LA, and DC currently)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077HP1DVD

Listening to the OST a second time thru, whatever nominations this score receives are totally deserved. Some people here were down on this score before but I don't know how anyone from the music branch could listen to this and not recognize all that it does so well. Without having seen the film, the music on the OST is beautifully constructed and sounds pitch perfect for the tone and subject matter of what I've seen so far.

In 1000 years the only religion left will be jediism, the one true God will be George Lucas, and the right hand of God will be JW. Amen.

2 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

"The Presses Roll"

:lovethis:

At first glance I thought you'd written The Princess Roll. :D

4 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

Does anyone else hear this weird tapping noise all over the album?  Like at 1:17 in "Deciding to Publish"?  It's really obnoxiously loud.  That's not intentional, is it?  It doesn't sound like studio sounds or seem to correspond to any instrument playing, but maybe I am being naive.  It seems to be in almost every track.  Seems like they must have goofed badly when mastering this album to let that into it.

It's all over it, so much of it in the first half of the opening track. Not a clue what it is - sounds glitchy to me, surely not intentional? Can't help but feel if it's not a mastering error that it's something to do with an underlying synth...

This is one of Williams's weakest scores of the millenium so far. A largely boring and forgettable affair. Not that The Last Jedi was fun, but it was less boring than this.

Urk, not a fan at all of Williams's "developement" since 2005 - this is easily his weakest decade since he began scoring. The 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s were great decades for him but now in the 10s he just couldn't keep it up. He hasn't even written a single score this decade that can measure up to any of the top 5 scores of the previous 4 decades.

27 minutes ago, Lewya said:

This is one of Williams's weakest scores of the millenium so far. A largely boring and forgettable affair. Not that The Last Jedi was fun, but it was less boring than this.

Urk, not a fan at all of Williams's "developement" since 2005 - this is easily his weakest decade since he began scoring. The 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s were great decades for him but now in the 10s he just couldn't keep it up. He hasn't even written a single score this decade that can measure up to any of the top 5 scores of the previous 4 decades.

24 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Incoming insults from hornist in 3... 2... 1...

If there will be insults, it might be because such posts are stated as established facts versus opinions. 

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Williams should stop writing for Spielberg. 

I guess he will, after Indy 5...

33 minutes ago, Lewya said:

He hasn't even written a single score this decade that can measure up to any of the top 5 scores of the previous 4 decades.

IMO, you're setting the bar too high.

35 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess he will, after Indy 5...

I hope he will, before Indy 5...

1 hour ago, Lewya said:

He hasn't even written a single score this decade that can measure up to any of the top 5 scores of the previous 4 decades.

Agreed.

Out of curiosity,those who think this is a great score:

Can you please name one post-1970 score that you think is weaker than this?

There are no right or wrong answers. I'm just curious about your tastes. ;)

7 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Out of curiosity,those who think this is a great score:

Can you please name one post-1970 score that you think is weaker than this?

There are no right or wrong answers. I'm just curious about your tastes. ;)

Maybe Rosewood and Stepmom?

Yeah I noticed that ticking too. Really disconcerting. Thought it was a problem with my speakers.

But in terms of the actual music...

Very good!

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount and type of synth used, and was happy to hear a lot of CMIYC-esque stuff. That part did get a bit boring on first listen, but I'd say it's a grower.

And in any event...

All of the "preparation" material is stunning, and the Americana at the end is predictably delectable. I love that little piano theme, too - it's very simple, but has a beautiful yearning, nostalgic quality to it. Another great theme from JW. 

"Presses Roll" was really my wow moment here (and possibly of JW's entire output this year). Those churning strings just build and build and then it gives way to these beautiful fanfaric chords:

I'm guessing this will be a chill-inducing moment in the film. Every score I'm just amazed at how Williams writes these little moments of harmonic resonance that are just so perfect. 

And then the strings just keep churning on, with low brass rumbles accenting the piece. Truly epic writing, and basically the definition of Williams awesomeness. :woop:

Some of the other preparation music (later in this track, for instance) is perhaps JW's grooviest in recent years, too. 

It certainly has some moments of interest, at least on first listen. I do think it may work better on its own terms rather than as underscore, though I also suspect it fits the film Spielberg actually made rather than the film I wish Spielberg had made (at least based on my impressions of what The Post is, from the reviews I have seen). I imagine that this and TLJ will both reward repeat listens.

I just finished listening to the Maestro's soundtrack to The Post. Once again, John Williams has outdone himself. I think this is the first time I have listened to one of the Maestro's scores before seeing the film the music accompanies. I was already looking forward to seeing the film, but having just listened to the Maestro's music for the film, I cannot wait to see it.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Williams should stop writing for Spielberg. 

Holy crap what an utterly stupid position. I mean if you are going to take a giant shit like that at least defend your reason for doing so rather than just dropping the deuce and then running away.

I really wish I had not read those early movie reviews, particularly those that spoke of Williams writing "NBC news styled music."  The Presses Roll and Setting the Type are very good tracks, but they have little to do with the style referred to other than kinetic strings.  Had I not had that stupid expectation, I would have enjoyed them more, though I will grow to enjoy them over time.  

7 hours ago, publicist said:

Thank god you both don't hand out Oscars.

You're right, we don't hand out Oscars. What we hand out is something far more precious - our money, and that entitles us to comment on the music that we buy and listen to, so you can take that sanctimonious clap-trap and 

JW's score for The Post seems very concise and carefully measured. I love that in a few early tracks there is a hint of his regal/stately style which I assume is associated with the newspaper institution itself but the music never goes fully into regal horn passages. It is restrained and fleeting as it should be. I am eager to see the movie now and hopefully listen to the FYC music.

The Press Roll is peo

13 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

But both Spielberg and JW let it rip with the melodrama in the second half. The second half is capital D super DRAMATIC and most of the score is spotted there. And JW does a terrific job of heightening the tension and drama of those sequences. Setting a fucking newspaper font is scored with the intensity of Luke walking out to make a last stand and it is hella entertaining and super super dramatic.

The score absolutely makes its presence felt and has a massive impact on the entire second half. I would say much more so than TLJ.

I get a feeling there's cool unreleased music  because only a few tracks fit that description