THE POST - SCORE Thread

On 26.12.2017 at 8:18 AM, indy4 said:

I like this score! It's much more understated even than Lincoln, but there are some really nice moments that shine through. And unlike TLJ, it doesn't suffer from scatterbrainedness or an over reliance on music that's already been written.

But half of this score doesn't go anywhere. Something like Deciding to Publish is one big wait for the piece to actually start but it never does.

9 hours ago, Bilbo said:

It’s not his best work but I’ll take this over the BFG any day of the week

Well I grant you that.

Does anyone else feel like there should be one more track added between Deciding to Publish and The Court's Decision? All that build up in the former really calls for a release, something like The Presses Roll to provide some musical pay off and to act as a crescendo for the whole OST.

The young French director Xavier Dolan had this to say about The Post: "Well, there’s the perfectly fun and thrilling score by Williams" when he picked The Post as one of his 8 best movies of the year. Otherwise, as expected, Greenwood's score for Phantom Thread get mentioned by most directors (2). One director mentioned the Blade Runner score as well.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/directors-best-movies-tv-2017-guillermo-del-toro-denis-villeneuve-luca-guadagnino-1201911679/2/

Yeah I am enjoying this one though I agree that it is a lot of buildup with not much payoff. But that said, I do love a good tension score and there are some nice sounds interspersed throughout. Will continue to listen and mature my opinions...

54 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Well, even if the score wasn't required to be obtrusive, it could be more interesting musically.

The source cues (which I assume are playing in the background thus being the most unobtrusive cues of the film) are far more interesting harmonically than the actual score cues.

44 minutes ago, king mark said:

JW can skype?

that means he must be able to read this message board!

I am sure JW had a team of dedicated technicians to set up his skype connection. Too newfangled technology for him. 

This is a good score. It’s mellow and unobtrusive in the kind of way that JW states in the interview. Mind, I haven’t seen the film, but I’m sure it does its job more than well enough.

The two source cues really stand out. They’re sublime. I could listen to a whole CD of JW’s jazz lounge music and I would still want more.

22 hours ago, king mark said:

JW can skype?

that means he must be able to read this message board!

Tbh, I'm not sure you can skype without consulting JWFan first.

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

Tbh, I'm not sure you can skype without consulting JWFan first.

What does this have anything to do with me

I like how you go out of your way to be an asshole every time .This is the second time this week you post exactly the same thing

Thanks for the reminder, my physical copy is probably in my mailbox, too!

Anybody seeing the film this weekend?

1 hour ago, Damien F said:

Setting The Type reminds me of the action motif from the Star Trek Voyager episode "The Scorpion Pt 2" by Jay Chattaway 

http://johndadlez.com/MP3/StarTrekVoyager/04-06.mp3

John Williams must read this site to know that Star Trek is better than everything. 

Hey! 

Why'd you wake me from my nap?
I'm not in the mood
To play your games
Or sit on your lap

You
Where's my Yankees drinking glass?
I want some juice
And I want it now
So you better move your ass
And feel bad for me
'Cuz I'm just getting over a cold

I'm four years old!
I'm four years old!
I'm four years old!
Somebody better tie my shoes!

Now
I run down the hall
I scream and I yell
And I cry 'cuz I fell
Bring the rubbing alcohol

Outside
I get mud on my shoe
I come back in the house
I get it on the rug
The cleanging's up to you
And I won't take a bath
Unless you make me Spaghetti-O's

I'm four years old!
I'm four years old!
I'm four years old!
Mommy reads to me at night
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Well
I can't have a job
And I can't go to school
If no grownups are around
I can't go near the pool
I'm not alowed to climb
My neighbor's apple tree
I'm not allowed to sit
Too close to the TV
I don't know how to drive
And I don't know how to spell
But if I hear my brother cursing
I do know how to tell
'Cuz he made me eat some bread
That was covered in mold
I'm four years old!
I'm four years old!
I'm four years old!
I just threw up on my grandmother

I like the score, but the ticking/noise we can hear is annoying as ****. Do you know if it can be heard on the FYC as well?

Here is how it looks on "Deciding to Publish":

image.png

Those points over 13kHz are the ticks.

Saw the film tonight. As others have said, the movie is perfectly spotted. Almost all the music is in the final 3rd of the film and it works really well. I was surprised by how much speed the score adds to the film. The movie itself is fun but rough. 

I definitely had a newfound appreciation for the score after seeing the film. Knowing the visuals it accompanies really reminds you what a genius Williams is at matching his music to Kaminski's shots. Just superb stuff.

On 1/13/2018 at 8:11 AM, Chewy said:

I like the score, but the ticking/noise we can hear is annoying as ****. Do you know if it can be heard on the FYC as well?

Here is how it looks on "Deciding to Publish":

image.png

Those points over 13kHz are the ticks.

The clicking noise is even MORE prevalent on the FYC album.

I stayed through the credits to compare and could not hear the clicking at all in my theater so I don’t think it is intentional as others have suggested or that it is inherently part of the score’s recording.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

The clicking noise is even MORE prevalent on the FYC album.

So that must be the recording... Impressive we are having issues like this in 2017...

I think there was one short piece of music when Tom Hanks was talking at one point that was led by a clarinet or something. The entire cue seemed low woodwind heavy and I couldn't recall hearing it on the OST. It was kind of ominous and serious minded. Anyone recall something similar? 

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but has anyone received the physical CD yet? I would like to know whether it's a jewel case or a *shudder* cardboard sleeve. Thanks.

I saw the film today and stayed through the credits.

At the very end of the film credits I could swear I heard the little piano melody slightly extended for strings. i don't hear that version  on the OST or FYC. That section would fit at 10.39 of the OST credits

this is bugging me the OST doesn't sound edited

5 hours ago, king mark said:

I saw the film today and stayed through the credits.

At the very end of the film credits I could swear I heard the little piano melody slightly extended for strings. i don't hear that version  on the OST or FYC. That section would fit at 10.39 of the OST credits

this is bugging me the OST doesn't sound edited

It could just a be an edit in post, adding a section from somewhere else?

except that missing section can't be found anywhere else on the FYC or OST

I'm still not 100% sure about this but it stuck me  as though the theme was a bit extended when i watched the credits