Jump to content

THE POST - SCORE Thread


JTWfan77
 Share

Recommended Posts

Indeed.  It will be interesting to see how the movie is spotted and how many pop songs are tracked in (inevitable given the time period).  Bridge of Spies rather notably didn't have a single score cue for the first 30 minutes or so of the movie!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I reckon huge chunks of the OST will be the standard concert arrangements which aren't in the movie. He did the same for Lincoln and Munich, because both films were sparesly scored but he wanted to elaborate on his ideas.

 

Even then, it won't be a long OST. They might pad it out with source music, ala CMIYC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Just hope it has some of the conspiracy type music from his Oliver Stone movies. In fact, he might channel that style of writing for the film overall.

 

Presumably he'll write a theme for Streep given she's clearly a strong, female protagonist dealing with conflict on many fronts, which is music to JW's ears with his noble/patriotic writing.

 

I was just going to say as much. The plot seems very focused on the kind of morality, politics, and patriotism that characterize Stone's films, and with courtroom scenes included as well, it seems most like JFK. Perhaps we'll get a similar theme to JFK, which has a do-the-right-thing kind of vibe.

 

But somehow I sense the main theme will be much darker and less "heroic" than the JFK main theme. Which is cool. I'm always down with darker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

 

Just hope it has some of the conspiracy type music from his Oliver Stone movies.

 

I hope not but that's exactly what it will be

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The film reminds me of All the president's Men.

I would like for Williams to write the most minimalistic score of his entire career, to see how that would sound! ;)

 

Up until now I think it's Munich.

(although the main theme is not minimalistic at all)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I want an entirely solo piano score played by Johnny himself!

Oh, that would be VERY VERY interesting indeed! (like The Firm was)

 

or maybe a score only for percussion! (including marimba, vibraphone and such instruments too).

Unfortunately Williams doesn't think outside of his comfort zone nowadays.. (at least in film music)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Feed it to me.  I hunger.  I hunger for Americana.  Let it dribble down my chin.

I need to resist......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

It's not so much that he doesn't think outside the box, it's more what Spielberg wants -or at least what I think.

well, maybe. But I'm sure if Williams suggested something, Spielberg would accept it. I assume he trusts him after all these years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm still holding out for another JW score that's as rich and sweeping and thematic as the first Harry Potter. I discovered JW through that film, and it will always be his strongest work to me.

Bridge of Spies had relatively little music in it to accommodate Spielberg's original intention of Disney releasing JW from TFA only for a couple of weeks to write the score. Then alas, a pace-maker operation came in the way.

You'd think if Williams had to forfeit (for scheduling reasons) one Spielberg film over another, in this case RPO, he'd pick the one that offer the most fulfilling challenge to him? Unless he's really slowing down and only picking the projects that are easier (but that wouldn't explain committing to a whole Star Wars sequel trilogy)....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, zoltan_902 said:

I'm still holding out for another JW score that's as rich and sweeping and thematic as the first Harry Potter. I discovered JW through that film, and it will always be his strongest work to me.

Bridge of Spies had relatively little music in it to accommodate Spielberg's original intention of Disney releasing JW from TFA only for a couple of weeks to write the score. Then alas, a pace-maker operation came in the way.

You'd think if Williams had to forfeit (for scheduling reasons) one Spielberg film over another, in this case RPO, he'd pick the one that offer the most fulfilling challenge to him? Unless he's really slowing down and only picking the projects that are easier (but that wouldn't explain committing to a whole Star Wars sequel trilogy)....

 

Is it really surprising that he picked this over RPO? RPO looks awful. Like a horrible video game. It's an understandable that an octegenerian will have little to no interest in it. Hell I am in my twenties and it is too teen looking even for me.

 

Post offers him a much more prestigious film that will be seen with great interest by all the critics and industry people and discerning audiences. Not to say he is chasing awards but I think in context, this movie offers a more interesting opportunity to Williams over RPO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The trailer for this movie gave me the impression that it's a film in the mold of Lincoln with lots of patriotic monologues and people of virtue choosing to stand by their convictions. I fear this means this will result in another Americana, Lincoln-esque score instead of something more unique. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Lincoln both film and score but I was hoping The Post would be a film about journalism ala Spotlight and lead to a unique score from JW.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

 

Is it really surprising that he picked this over RPO? RPO looks awful. Like a horrible video game. It's an understandable that an octegenerian will have little to no interest in it. Hell I am in my twenties and it is too teen looking even for me.

 

Post offers him a much more prestigious film that will be seen with great interest by all the critics and industry people and discerning audiences. Not to say he is chasing awards but I think in context, this movie offers a more interesting opportunity to Williams over RPO.

 

Also consider the sheer amount of time he has to spend actually watching these things, he'd probably much rather be scrutinizing Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep (who mind you he's never written music for before!) than a bunch of unfinished CGI and TJ Miller running around in front of a green screen. Especially after just spending half a year with 2.5 hours of Star Wars. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haha I knew someone would mention that. Not the same!

 

24 minutes ago, publicist said:

Though it probably will not result in music that is overly exciting...

 

Unfortunately we probably did lose out a bit with this trade-off but I like to keep it in perspective as a fan of an 85 year old. I want the music but I also want him to enjoy himself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would rather enjoy Spielberg doing a rousing historical movie for a change (the Trumbo script, for instance), but more oscar-friendly 'liberal' self-congratulation it is...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

YouTube on my phone just put the trailer for this in front of me so I watched it. Starring the two highest ranking luvvies in all of Hollywood, The Papers, or "Vignette: The Movie" (seriously tired of Kamiński now) looks to be the biggest Oscar bait of Spielberg's entire career, yes even more than Schindler's List was.

 

Of course, it'll be perfectly constructed and oh so elegantly played, but I just don't have the mood for it. The Williams score, well, I've already heard it dozens of times before.

 

Boring all round! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The Williams score, well, I've already heard it dozens of times before.

 

Boring all round! 

Huh? where do you know how the score's gonna be?

Or you're guessing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Scintillating_CA said:

I'm excited for this one (film and score)! I can't hazard a guess as to the kind of sound JW will bring, but I sure admire how they used Helvetica throughout the trailer. Nicely done. : )

 

They should have used Comic Sans to make it a bit funnier :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel like the poster art will be bordered with white, and the Williams and OST credits will feature in the border (in black text, presumably).

 

A bit like The Last Crusade's OST cover.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I feel like the poster art will be bordered with white, and the Williams and OST credits will feature in the border (in black text, presumably).

 

A bit like The Last Crusade's OST cover.

 

Yeah could be..! Was thinking about it as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I  had this.

Naamloos-2cc.jpg

9 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

 

Why would the actors be credited on the soundtrack cover? Is it usual?

 

 

 

It was quite unusual, but -for example- LINCOLN did it. The promotion of Lincoln was heavily focussed on Daniel Day Lewis' perfomance and hence his name was promptly feautured on posters and such, even the soundtrack cover.

 

I see with The Post a similar trend: HANKS and STREEP are everywhere, and it's a Spielberg-film, just like Lincoln.

 

It could very well be incorporated in the final CD artwork.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The credit for Williams will be "Composed and Conducted By".

 

Lincoln and TFA had ‘Music By’... It’s no longer a given...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dunno why Lincoln was worded that way, but TFA had to be that way because Ross and that other guy conducted a bunch of cues

 

Williams conducted all of TLJ and The Post himself

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the second past tense post I have read about the recording of the score.  I know there were sessions.  Do we know if the recording of the score is completely done, or are we just assuming?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

This is the second past tense post I have read about the recording of the score.  I know there were sessions.  Do we know if the recording of the score is completely done, or are we just assuming?  

 

Yes, the film is finished. Spielberg will lock sound mix next Monday:

 

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/steven-spielberg-the-post-ready-player-one-ben-mendelsohn-arthur-miller-writer-1201895214/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.