THE POST - SCORE Thread

Wow I was expecting a joke post, but it's real!

There are no spoilers at all.

1. The Papers
2. The Presses Roll
3. Nixon’s Order
4. The Oak Room, 1971
5. Setting the Type
6. Mother and Daughter
7. Scanning the Papers
8. Two Martini Lunch
9. Deciding to Publish
10. The Court’s Decision and End Credits

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2017/11/29/the-post-soundtrack-details/

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

10 tracks... I wonder how long they are.   If the album is, say, 50 minutes, a lot of them will be pretty meaty!

Hey!  I just checked the Amazon page for the album and it says 40 minutes!  That's not in the Film Music Reporter article.

https://www.amazon.com/Post-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B077HP1DVD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511988424&sr=8-1&keywords=the+post+soundtrack

A 10 track, 40 minute Williams soundtrack.  Very old-school.  I can dig it.

image.png

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Would it be the first time ever we get a complete score directly with the first release? :P

No.

Unless you mean specifically by John Williams.  Then yes.

The only JW score that comes close to being complete at launch is Saving Private Ryan.

SpaceCamp and Monsignor are pretty close too.  Accidental Tourist, Nixon, and JFK are fairly close IIRC.

17 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

What spoilers could there possibly be, anyway?

He was probably referring to the Trump cameo in the post-credits scene.

Please be a chamber/small ensemble playing the gnarly stuff you might have heard in a 70s political conspiracy score, and not more noble Americana.  Actually, if painted with the former colors rather than the latter, it might help sell the whole ridiculous production.  David Shire rather than Copland.

I think they just said that was one cue towards the end. I wonder if The Presses Roll might be that. I know they said it came in towards the end of the film but that seems like the highest energy title for something like that, maybe it's a montage or something when they publish the story. Could see it being a concert piece that he threw up there as an album opener.

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yup it could very well be the complete score on this OST.

You really think JW would put a complete score on CD from the start? No way.

I can see track 10 being an incredibly serious, heavy, 10 minute mammoth of a cue that everyone will go wild over.

Yeah that tracklist doesn't look chronological at all. 40 minutes seems about expected though. Bit surprised he hasn't expanded the album with theme arrangements like Lincoln!

Guess this also indicates Disney are intentionally withholding the TLJ tracklist until the last minute. Would be very cool if they kept it hidden until the release! With all the pre-order sites listing the same placeholder track titles (Untitled Track 1 etc.) I'm guessing that's the actual tracklist Disney sent out.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Guess this also indicates Disney are intentionally withholding the TLJ tracklist until the last minute. Would be very cool if they kept it hidden until the release!

In theory there's no reason at all to see a tracklist before listening to the album, unless it's an expansion (in which case you know the score and want to see how it's arranged).

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The only JW score that comes close to being complete at launch is Saving Private Ryan.

SpaceCamp and Monsignor are pretty close too.  Accidental Tourist, Nixon, and JFK are fairly close IIRC.

Not JFK.

Awesome tracklist! Very short album but I guess I didn't really expect anything else haha. 

I do find it pretty hilarious that several of the titles are virtually identical to our joke ones ("Scanning the Papers," etc.)

40 minutes. I don't share all your optimism it might be the complete score.  The most likely scenario is that the score is the usual hour and a half/ two hours score but they only put 40 minutes of it on c.d. and we get screwed as usual

But I'm thinking due to the subject matter (freedom of the press or something in the Trump era) and Meryl Streep cast as a "strong woman" amid the sexual scandals of Hollywood, this might be a very popular film among the politically correct Hollywood elite for multiple reasons .Maybe Williams finally has a chance to win an Oscar for scoring the "right" movie this year

1 hour ago, king mark said:

40 minutes. I don't share all your optimism it might be the complete score.  The most likely scenario is that the score is the usual hour and a half/ two hours score but they only put 40 minutes of it on c.d. and we get screwed as usual

IIRC, JW only spent a few days in the recording studio, right? Like 3 or 4 days? Is that enough time to get much more than 40 minutes of music put down?

I highly doubt the score is much longer than this OST indicates. I'm just surprised he didn't pad out the runtime with a reprise track, but his recent end credits suites have served the same purpose anyway, just improved. 

He's basically maxing out the disc capacity for TLJ so I think his methodology has changed lately about OST assemblies. 

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I think there is one OST that was complete, right from the beginning: Presumed Innocent!

I don't think it is entirely complete. E.g. the short main title isn't on the OST and there is at least on missing rendition of the family theme IIRC.

Setting the Type sounds like a joke-title but let's hope the music is more exciting than the track title. :P

I guess The Post didn't warrant a very expansive score so this might well contain lion's share of the music from the film. :)