'Thanks To Brilliant Composers, Film Scores Are Becoming Relevant To The Superhero Genre Again'

Ricard

It's a pretty widely accepted idea that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has been front and center when it comes to unmemorable (sometimes even poor) film scores. With the predictability, lack of visceral effect and lack of memorability — compounded with the cultural shift in the industry away from noticeable music — the MCU has severely suffered in their film scores. Despite such talents as Alan Silvestri, Alan Menken, Ramin Djawadi and more, the MCU has largely failed to create lasting music.

With the help of the incredible #HansZimmer, the DCEU has not suffered the same treatment of their film scores as the MCU has. However, aside from Man of Steel's theme and Wonder Woman's motif in Batman V Superman, the music has seen a similar decline in importance and memorability. Yet, within the past year, this trend among the superhero genre (although the problem exists across Hollywood) has seen significant improvements, and it seems we might just be turning around — superhero film scores may just be important again.

The big trend here is what the composers are choosing to focus on in their scores: characters. Think back to the earlier examples of Superman, Spider-Man, and X-Men — part of the success there was that the music was tied to the identity of the hero. In much the same way, Gianchinno (sic) made the music important to the characters of Doctor Strange, Beltrami's minimalism lent itself to the intimacy of Logan's relationship with Charles and Laura, the Awesome Mixtape — although largely pop songs — informed the audience of who these groups of outcasts and misfits are (and who they have grown into since their first outing), and Gregson-Williams utilized his musical prowess to showcase who Diana is and what it means to be a hero. That is what is important; that is why film scores have become relevant to the superhero genre again — a return to the focus of the character.

https://moviepilot.com/p/modern-superhero-film-scores-composers/4289627

Wake when we get actual "epic romantic music" in our superhero films again. 

I liked Logan, and parts of the Wonder Woman score are starting to grow on me but damn if the action music isn't the same RC pumping noise we've heard a million times. 

Certainly the MCU could do better to have actual recurring themes playing throughout their films, but they seem adverse to that, as well. Article is good and well-meaning but I don't entirely agree with the subject. 

Despite the undeserved attention these comic franchises get there are still a handful of things that are actually good. Seeking them in the blockbuster genre is kind of silly. Of what you listed there are all but a handful of mildly diverting cues, the rest is...well, noise.

I'm fine with it because I don't have to spend as much money on new soundtracks. So bland and mediocre film scores are good for the economy - I can save money and spend it on other endeavours.

But then sometimes a modern score I didn't care for much initially, like MoS or BvS, can suddenly grow on me and I end up listening to it a lot.

Themes are not the problem, per se. The musical application and variation is what makes film music so intriguing - getting a full, rounded musical work. Since UNDERSCORE these days is synonymous with limp, sometimes amateurish molasses based on boring and simple rhythmic development (save for a few exceptions) there just is not much reason to invest into it month by month. 

For the record, i do not think we lack the talent. It's just that the results tend to suck. Sadly the golden age of tv hasn't been kind to musical talent, either.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Hey at least Djawadi had "Light of the Seven" last year!  Brilliant cue.

It was okay. 

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This is all The Crown sounds like, ever.

BAFTA nomination material right there! 

In the first cue you linked, I listened to it all, and towards the end it gets all ostinato power anthem-ish and then sudden silence. That's where I immediately anticipated the delicate piano to come in next, and it did! Plink plonk... it's just so profound

Wonder Woman's score actually elevates the film nicely, but alas I wasn't exactly rushing to buy the CD. 

Either way, it's at least above the last few Zimmer works, so it's a baby step in the right direction, perhaps.

7 hours ago, publicist said:

For the record, i do not think we lack the talent. It's just that the results tend to suck. Sadly the golden age of tv hasn't been kind to musical talent, either.

I find a lack of willingness to make each one distinctive. Like with Doctor Strange, where they seemed to know how it should sound, but it was only touches at the end, instead of going trippy in several ways through the whole score.

Or take Black Panther. They could renounce to anything western, do several kinds of African music and weird electronica stuff, have some hip-hop. I think we'll get instead something generic sounding with a hip hop song by somebody else in the credits. I want to be surprised, but I don't expect it anymore, at all.

It gets to the point where the most original use of music in superhero stuff is, hilariously, what James Gunn does (although it's more of a space opera glued somehow to the other stuff). It turns out using music the good way hooks the audiences, who would've thought. (Nevermind the boring Tyler Bates underscore... I think those two movies deserved better on that area).

I could go into themes and musical continuity and where to put what but when we don't have the above it feels pointless.

Brónach - who's curious about Mark Mothersbaugh and Thor

I'd rather Supergirl have a terrible score so the world can have an even easier time forgetting that movie exists. The score isn't even top-drawer Goldsmith anyway (for me at least, but I hum that main theme now and then). 

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Hey at least Djawadi had "Light of the Seven" last year!  Brilliant cue.

This is all The Crown sounds like, ever.

:sleep1::sleep1::sleep1::sleep1::sleep1::sleep1:

Yup. It's another cheap, redundant Time/Journey to the Line knockoff. With that said, it does its trick in the show, making all sorts of montages seem "profound" and "meaningful".

Good show. Generic and sometimes distracting score.

Haven't heard Wonder Woman, but I liked the little bits of score in Veep.

1 hour ago, Sharky said:

The Zimmer underscore in Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman utterly outclasses most of the music from this supposed renaissance of supehero music, manufactured in the mind of Jeremiah Paul.

Indeed. And at least it has its own character, which is more than what can be said for superhero scores these days, including the ones that BB listed.

But I'm guessing that's what this article is trying to get at, with poor results.

Zimmer's score for MOS and BVS is exactly the kind of issue I have with modern superhero scoring and scoring in general. He makes fine themes, but his underscoring for both films is full of largely noise and irritating Junkie XL electronic, not my cup of tea really. 

I suppose it could be worse though, like Jackman's work for The Winter Soldier. Shudders! 

I actually prefer Jackman's Captain America scores to anything in Man of Steel or BvS.  Those are not my favorite Zimmers.

37 minutes ago, KK said:

Yup. It's another cheap, redundant Time/Journey to the Line knockoff. With that said, it does its trick in the show, making all sorts of montages seem "profound" and "meaningful".

Good show. Generic and sometimes distracting score.

Haven't heard Wonder Woman, but I liked the little bits of score in Veep.

Oh yeah, I love the show itself.  Much like with Game of Thrones, a great show with a score that's mostly wallpaper.

15 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

He makes fine themes, but his underscoring for both films is full of largely noise and irritating Junkie XL electronic, not my cup of tea really.

I'd rather listen to inventive 'noise' than cloddish pseudo-Zimmer chaconnes.

On 6/10/2017 at 1:52 PM, Sharky said:

Oh it's different I'll admit, I just wish it was the kind of different I like more. Way too much of BVS sounds utterly "bleak" for me to enjoy for example. 

It's certainly better then a lot of the Zimmer clone scores at least. 

7 minutes ago, Sharky said:

To be fair, there is a fair amount of noise in those scores that I could do without ("Oil Rig", JXL's generic pounding, etc).

Unfortunately, Elfman doesn't do anything good anymore, Williams exclusively scores Disney Star Wars and Spielberg dramas and Horner and Prince have passed on. So there's no one left to compose a great superhero score. Prince did warn us that the future would be rough.

Actually I like a lot of stuff in MoS because it does have the "make it sound distinctive" thing I like. (Or maybe because I associate it with Interstellar the next year for some reason, which I also really like). I don't want people to write more John Williams stuff, it's going to be mediocre and we have his actual stuff anyway. There's action moments in MoS which are too overbearing and BUM BUM BUM BUM for my taste (I don't think action equals noise, and it's probably the other way around...) but I liked the other stuff and the theme is cute.

I'm probably not saying anything that hasn't been said hundreds of times here.

I can't hear the Ant-Man theme without thinking of Mission: Impossible, but it suited that film nicely nonetheless. Sort of like how I forgive Horner for using Powerhouse in Honey I Shrunk the Kids. :P

The Beck scores you mentioned were more or less the same indistinct fluff, just with some occasional flavour.

I'd want someone Austin Wintory to take charge with a superhero score