Danny Elfman's JUSTICE LEAGUE (2017)

antovolk

Batman, Spider-Man, Hulk, Hellboy, Avengers, and now Justice League. That's quite the superhero lineup. 

That's an unexpected choice. He's scored so many superhero films at this point, might as well try his hands at the Justice League I guess.

BTW a lot of his own material for AOU was fairly good, his rendition of the Avengers theme was great, so I have confidence he'll deliver something good. 

30 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

What's the deal with Whedon being involved? Was surprised given he's a force behind the rival franchise.

He stepped in to shoot some scenes after Snyder said he was taking a break because of his daughter's death.

36 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

An interesting development, but I can't be the only one who smells death in the air for the superhero craze now that the two worlds are mingling to this degree.  

Hurrah!

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Well Whedon's certainly making his mark. Great decision.

I also wonder if Whedon wants to re-establish a certain 'sound' for Batman before he directs Batgirl...

13 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

An interesting development, but I can't be the only one who smells death in the air for the superhero craze now that the two worlds are mingling to this degree.  

Elfman has mingled between DC and Marvel for decades now. 

10 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

It's our last chance at redemption.

He was our last, best hope in the universe for a decent superhero score!

I was talking more about Whedon, really.  Superhero movies will become even more monolithic than they already are, and the public will grow to resent them.  And I say this as a Whedon fan.

20 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

This is HUGE. Are they throwing out his score completely? His statement with 'replacement' seems to imply that.

It's not particularly huge.  It's a very strange situation, to have a change of director like this, but it's pretty natural that the composer would change as well.  Were we a few weeks out on this film, there wouldn't be as much wiggle room, but there's a ways to go, so why not?  Both good composers, though Elfman hasn't really had my attention for a looooong time.

I'd be curious to hear how Elfman will play with JXL/Zimmer's material, should he choose to do so. I like how he expanded on Silvestri's largely uninspired theme for the Avengers.

1 minute ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

It's not particularly huge.  It's a very strange situation, to have a change of director like this, but it's pretty natural that the composer would change as well.  Were we a few weeks out on this film, there wouldn't be as much wiggle room, but there's a ways to go, so why not?  Both good composers, though Elfman hasn't really had my attention for a looooong time.

I think it's huge in the sense that a director ostensibly called to just finish a film in post and do some minor reshoots has the broad latitude to throw out the score.

For me atleast a score can significantly alter the tone of a film. I am kinda shocked by a director hired to finish post AFTER THE ENTIRE FILM HAS BEEN SHOT has as much influence as to change the score completely.

Most of the fanboys are having conniption fits about Elfman replacing Holkenborg, saying ridiculous things like "I don't want an Avengers score, I want that energy and bombast from Junkie XL".

I mean, some fans are reasonable but most are just bitching about how "Whedon is ruining Snyder's film!" You dumbasses, JL will still be a Zack Snyder film, improved with Whedon's polishing.

5 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I think it's huge in the sense that a director ostensibly called to just finish a film in post and do some minor reshoots has the broad latitude to throw out the score.

For me atleast a score can significantly alter the tone of a film. I am kinda shocked by a director hired to finish post AFTER THE ENTIRE FILM HAS BEEN SHOT has as much influence as to change the score completely.

Snyder is completely hands-off on Justice League now. One trade article said that Snyder and Whedon really clicked while discussing the additional scenes for the film, and so Snyder trusted him enough to finish the film.

I wouldn't be surprised if Whedon broached the subject about the film's music, and Snyder probably said "If you want to hire a different composer, go ahead."

17 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Post is when scoring happens.  Even given the growing practice of composers coming on early and developing material in parallel, that development in this case took place between Holkenborg and a person who no longer has responsibility for the film in post.  It could be easier to start fresh for Whedon than to try fitting his own ideas to those borne of a collaboration between two others.

At this point, it will be difficult to preserve the agreeable musical continuity that for once was starting to exist in these films.  

5 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Post is when scoring happens.  Even given the growing practice of composers coming on early and developing material in parallel, that development in this case took place between Holkenborg and a person who no longer has responsibility for the film in post.  It could be easier to start fresh for Whedon than to try fitting his own ideas to those borne of a collaboration between two others.

At this point, it will be difficult to preserve the agreeable musical continuity that for once was starting to exist in these films.  

Yeah true. That's a good point. Though the "replacement" would suggest material had already been written even if it wasn't recorded.

And two interesting things emerge from this

1. Whedon is probably getting a co-directing credit. This won't be a Zack Snyder film in the truest sense as the film will retroactively become steeped in Whedon's sensibility. Not a good thing or a bad thing (though Whedon is a better film-maker) but just an observation. This was supposed to be Snyder's biggest movie to date, his magnum opus in a way and now won't be anymore.

2. Even though I wasn't the biggest fan of the DCEU music, I atleast admired and loved the fact that their score had consistency. Marvel has no regard for core consistency in MCU - MCU has 3 Iron Man themes, 2 Thor themes, 2 Cap themes, 2 Avengers theme, it is all just a total wash. I frankly hate this, I like a franchise to have musical continuity. It's one of the reasons Star Wars franchise is what it is. DCEU reused Superman themes from MOS in BvS. And Wonder Woman themes from BvS in Wonder Woman. Even though I don't think these are exemplary themes, I like continuity. Now even the DCEU will likely abandon music continuity. Just a poor state of affairs for film music.

I wonder what Whedon's credit on this will be. It would be pretty bizarre to see a Snyder/Whedon co-directing card at the end, but I think there are DGA rules precluding that. Producer, I guess? Or might he go uncredited?

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

With the good notices on Wonder Woman and Whedon on JL, suddenly DC seems to be the one to look for.

It's inevitable that Marvel will collapse under its own weight. I think DC is possibly poised to once again reign supreme. After the bizarre reaction to the first two movies, they'll come back with more quality films.

53 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Has Elfman ever had a full score of his own completely rejected?

He got replaced by JNH on the first Hunger Games.

46 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

With the change of director and composer, this has become the most anticipated film.

Surely The Last Jedi is still the most anticipated film of the year?

I still don't understand the hype for superhero films, it seems like this fad is burning out. With there being the probability of reboots and sequels to last to the end of time, how do people ready themselves to be entertained by more of the same thing?

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

(though Whedon is a better film-maker)

Whedon is the better overall storyteller, but he lacks Snyder's visual talent. Ideally a film like this would have a script by Whedon, while Snyder realises it.

49 minutes ago, igger6 said:

All I care about is memorable and melodic music, so I'd much rather Elfman throw everything out 

Then let us count ourselves fortunate that igger6 is not calling the shots in film music land.  There's plenty of "memorable melodic music" out there for you already so no need to call for shitty filmmaking practices to supply more for yourself. 

53 minutes ago, igger6 said:

DC is equally notorious for its crummy music

Is it?  Many people seem to enjoy it. 

54 minutes ago, igger6 said:

And let's be honest: the DCEU is four movies old and has featured two instances of musical consistency, one of which involved a returning composer. It's a little premature to crown them kings of continuity. (There have been periods in Marvel history when they also seemed poised to go that route.)

?

What's this about crowning?  You're arguing with the air here.  But I understand, it's fun to pretend there's a disagreement so you can pontificate.