Danny Elfman's JUSTICE LEAGUE (2017)

antovolk

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Compared to this, the Spider-Man scores are on the level of Superman: The Movie.

ya, it's hard to believe this is the same guy that did those scores. Very disappointing.

I think that Elfman has an enviable career. His 1988-1995 efforts are brilliant. The man soon achieved a original sound identity for himself. He was even able to bring memorable works in the 2000s. A substitution score like Justice League can not reduce appreciation for a composer. 

I do think it is pretty cool how he revisited his Batman theme after all these years and adapted it for a more modern sounding orchestral theme. There are a couple of bad ass renditions of it in those two bonus action cues at the end.

The problem with invoking his original score though is that it reminded me how great it was and I'd much rather be listening to that instead.

The most enjoyable cue by far is that Wonder Woman Rescues cue, which really makes great orchestral use of her theme and is exactly how I wanted the Wonder Woman score to sound. I heard rumors on Twitter that that cue was ghost written by someone else (Pinar Toprak) which makes sense given her theme doesn't appear anywhere else in the score.

I'd give the score 3 out of 5 which for an Elfman superhero score is ultimately disappointing.

5 minutes ago, Damien F said:

The most enjoyable cue by far is that Wonder Woman Rescues cue, which really makes great orchestral use of her theme and is exactly how I wanted the Wonder Woman score to sound. I heard rumors on Twitter that that cue was ghost written by someone else (Pinar Toprak) which makes sense given her theme doesn't appear anywhere else in the score.

I actually agree that was the most enjoyable part of the OST. I knew it was an adaptation of someone else's music, but I just thought Elfman handled it well, unlike the Williams Superman theme and his own Batman theme. I guess I was wrong. There was no Elfman at all.

Elfman's happy jolly Batman theme in this score is instantly recognizable, and takes less time to quote than Zimmer's two notes. LOL

Thanks for the increasingly rarer hour of soundtrack joy, Mr. Elfman.

Hearing the original themes is indeed very strange. I will still maintain the only reason they've been brought back is fan-service and that they actually have some heft and resonance to them that the other DC composers have missed since the beginning. All this doesn't say very much because outside of the those resurrected identities I'm left wondering why the new themes are a bit meh.  

8 hours ago, Damien F said:

I do think it is pretty cool how he revisited his Batman theme after all these years and adapted it for a more modern sounding orchestral theme. There are a couple of bad ass renditions of it in those two bonus action cues at the end.

The problem with invoking his original score though is that it reminded me how great it was and I'd much rather be listening to that instead.

5 hours ago, Muldoon said:

Edit to add: I've only heard about 10 tracks from this new album. It's alright.

Comments like this have me convinced that JWFans have been replaced by Cybermen. It's not alright...

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

Hearing the original themes is indeed very strange. I will still maintain the only reason they've been brought back is fan-service and that they actually have some heft and resonance to them that the other DC composers have missed since the beginning. All this doesn't say very much because outside of the those resurrected identities I'm left wondering why the new themes are a bit meh.  

I think the fan service use of those themes is a bit strange because the core demographic of Justice League is people growing up today, and for them the new themes for these characters is what they relate to, just like people of a certain generation relate more to the old superman theme and elfman's batman theme because thats what they grew up with.

It doesn't make any sense to bring back those themes because they aren't suited at all to this type of score, which is your typically dull aimless repetitive nonsense that no one should want to listen to outside of whatever movie it's intended for and doesn't seem to matter. It's also an insult to the great scores they were originally composed for. I can only imagine the people praising this garbage are like this jackass:

5 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Comments like this have me convinced that JWFans have been replaced by Cybermen. It's not alright...

It absolutely is alright. It's better than Wonder Woman by leaps and bounds in orchestration alone. The real cybermen were those of you who didn't like the score to The Force Awakens when it came out. Some of you still don't like it. I don't see how someone who would identify themselves as a "John Williams fan" could not like The Force Awakens, but hey, it's not my problem.

3 hours ago, Muldoon said:

It absolutely is alright. It's better than Wonder Woman by leaps and bounds in orchestration alone. The real cybermen were those of you who didn't like the score to The Force Awakens when it came out. Some of you still don't like it. I don't see how someone who would identify themselves as a "John Williams fan" could not like The Force Awakens, but hey, it's not my problem.

Don't lecture me, Muldoon. I see through the lies of JWFan. How can you do this? It's outrageous. It's unfair.

It's treason, then.

It doesn't excuse the bland Justice League score, though.

11 hours ago, The Doctor said:

It's treason, then.

It doesn't excuse the bland Justice League score, though.

Ha! I had no idea you'd created a thread on that topic!

Treason, eh? You'll never take me alive!

7 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Wy_VUsf_Mgl5wd_BR71kvm_No_VJmt_J5-i_Hgzy

Honestly, I always liked the Spider-Man scores better, though that may have something to do with the age I was when Raimi's Spider-Man films were coming out.

I don't get what Justice League has to do with TFA, they have nothing in common. TFA is one of the best Star Wars scores and Justice league is just uninspired and boring. Man of Steel blows justice league out of the water.

If MoS succeeds in one regard is that it does have a few strong identities that one can follow with ease. After listening to JL I can pick out where Elfman's fingerprints are but for the most part it seems entirely over-produced. They turned up the EPICTM dial. There's too much going on!

Brutal review of Elfman's work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/justice-league-review-dcs-superhero-embarrassment-beyond-saving/

Gurgling away in the background is Danny Elfman’s score, which grabs at John Williams’s 1978 Superman theme, Elfman’s own Batman motif from the Tim Burton years, and Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL’s Wonder Woman cello riff, in a panicky fumble for something, anything, the audience might recognise or like. The result, as if it even needs to be said, is an incoherent din.

On 11/11/2017 at 4:03 PM, The Doctor said:

I'm starting to believe he either wasn't involved with any of those old scores or with these new scores. It's just not possible.

His style evolved over the decades. 

*shrug*

9 hours ago, El Jefe said:

I like the score. Actual music for superheroes.

Pretty neat concept.

Elfman may not have reclaimed his 1980s-1990s superhero glory, but this score is a step up over the Zimmer/Holkenborg mess we would've gotten had Snyder stayed on. 

The throwback bits of his Batman theme gives me goosebumps.

Perhaps he was rushed, coerced by the studios to make a dark brooding mess, or the source material, i.e. the film, wasn't inspiring enough. There's a heap of mixed reactions though I've seen since the film came out. Some think it's a nice reprieve from the Zimmer scores, others think it isn't a scrape on the Zimmer scores, and the strange middle-ground who praise it for being an orchestral score like they'd never heard 80% of film scores today...