Danny Elfman's JUSTICE LEAGUE (2017)

antovolk

Assault? You can barely hear the score in the film.

Elfman might have "Batman-ed the shit out of that one moment" but the sound mixers decided to almost entirely bury it under the sound effects. An average person won't even hear it.

Karol

13 minutes ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Can I sue Elfman for sexual assault for what he did to my ears?

Hmm... What Zimmer did to my ears with Blade Runner was certainly some form of assault.

But not that particular type, I don't think...

24 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Assault? You can barely hear the score in the film.

Elfman might have "Batman-ed the shit out of that one moment" but the sound mixers decided to almost entirely bury it under the sound effects. An average person won't even hear it.

Karol

It was so damn boring, I thought it may play better in the movie but nope.

17 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Hmm... What Zimmer did to my ears with Blade Runner was certainly some form of assault.

Hey, I was on tour alright! All complaints will be forwarded to Benjamin Wallfisch.

I couldn't barely hear the Williams quote. I was expecting an unreleased more grandeur quote...but it was not there. Just a loud straightforward rendition in one scene would have been satisfying. Lost opportunity.... The batman theme I think he fits the character whatever the film

45 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

You complain about Zimmer a lot for someone who claims to be bothered by preponderances of negative posts.

8 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

You complain about Zimmer a lot for someone who claims to be bothered by preponderances of negative posts.

My ears simply don't like most modern Zimmer, yet I do enjoy some of his older music very much.

I will not claim that his efforts the days are objectively "wrong" in any way.

He notes that when he worked on the 1996 Mission: Impossible film, he dropped in Lalo Schifrin’s iconic theme.

"It would’ve been crazy to exclude it. It doesn’t matter if it’s a decade old, or seventy years old," he says. "Give me a reboot of any old film and I can take the themes and use them in a way that feels fresh."

I always had doubts about who arranged the 1996 Mission Impossible theme. Elfman, the guys of the U2 or was it a collaboration between all of them?

The Batman theme is all over the film, to the point where I feel like other themes are even influenced by it.  It’s cool.

Honestly, yes, the score is rough.  But you know what?  It’s a step in the right direction and I’m glad it exists.  

Danny Elfman's use of JW's Superman Theme is wasted.

Especially on the not quite awful Henry Cavill.

So that explains why Danny used an old theme by Bernard Herrmann and made it feel fresh. :)

Still, shouldn't he have used the iconic theme from the 1960s Batman film if he was really that strict about not abandoning the past?

Yavar

Jesus, do you actually read the article you comment on?

Elfman had little time to write the music, and often just scored storyboards.

He was asked to use his Batman theme and the Superman theme.

He says other films should learn from great film series like Star Wars or James Bond as far as thematic continuity is concerned because the audience loves it and reacts to it.

But yes, "egomaniac" and "pompous". How dare he like his own theme?

Morons.

3 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Red hair, vacant expressions... tatty, second-hand CD. You must be the Elfmans.

...egotistical, vain, obscene post count on a fan forum...

10 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

He says other films should learn from great film series like Star Wars or James Bond as far as thematic continuity is concerned because the audience loves it and reacts to it.

Morons.

I just fundamentally disagrees him him calling other composers egotistical just because they want to create something new.. Sure, some franchises absolutely needs continuity, but most franchises do not. Composers want to create their own theme, so they can forge their own identities and their own paths of success. I mean, is that egotistical or just the normal desire of an artist? 

Elfman didn't use the 1960s batman theme did he? Times change and styles change too. Is using color egotistical because the original film is black and white?

16 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Morons.

I thought you went to a day spa or something a while ago and found yourself/let go of your anger.  

Didn't take?

Can't believe I agree more with Junkie XL than Elfman. But I do.

"It’s a massive undertaking. And I can’t say anything about Justice League specifically, but I’ll tell you this, and this was exactly the same experience that Hans and I had when we did work together on Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: It’s like when you see a movie like that, these iconic superhero movies, some of them have a 60 to 80 year legacy, multiple composers had a go at their themes, multiple filmmakers did their version of these characters—it’s very scary. You watch a movie and it’s like, “Holy shit, now I have to come up with something.” You’ve got sweaty hands and you’re nervous, and you talk about it over and over again—and I have exactly that relationship with Zack Snyder—and then Zack said, ”There’s only one thing you can do, and that is embrace this character as if it’s your own, keep it close to your musical soul, and just do whatever you feel is the right thing to do for this character.” That’s the only thing we can do. That’s what all these great directors did back in the day, and that’s what all these great composers did back in the day. It makes no sense for me to do extensive quoting of Hans’ score of the really amazing Batmans. It makes no sense for me to quote Superman from John Williams. Because all fantastic composers, they all did the same thing, they did something that was close to their heart, and I have to do exactly the same thing on this movie. You know this is Movie Number 4 that I’m doing with Zack, so you build a friendship and it’s built on trust and loyalty. You know how to challenge each other, you know what to expect on the other side, and it’s this really open, amazing dialogue about where to take this franchise."

-Junkie XL on doing Justice League. 

The only problem is, when Junkie XL tries to do his own shit, it is usually garbage. 

A very genuine response from Holkenborg indeed, and something which is at the heart of these situations that these are just humans with difficult burdens and pressure from studios. If Holkenborg's music doesn't speak to me, at least his honesty and words do.

A massive petition is doing rounds with the idea (too) of releasing Junkie XL's score with Zack Snyder's version, calling Elfman's score generic, lazy and his effort here very unprofessional. 

Well over 26 000 people have signed it.

https://www.change.org/p/warner-bros-zack-snyder-s-director-s-and-tom-holkenborg-s-score-for-home-release-e90fef07-11c6-4a9a-9ae8-375c7717dafa?recruiter=91715253&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

Did Junkie even get to the point where he wrote anything? Sounds like he was replaced before he even had a chance to spot the film.

youre not going to spot a film before the normal reshoots take place and it was determined there needed to be massive ones done.

52 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It mixed very low

I laughed out loud when we got to that big Batman theme statement that is just literally drowned by sound effects. They buried it on purpose. Maybe it's for the best.

Karol

16 hours ago, Joe Brausam said:

The Batman theme is all over the film, to the point where I feel like other themes are even influenced by it.  It’s cool.

Honestly, yes, the score is rough.  But you know what?  It’s a step in the right direction and I’m glad it exists.  

I was talking about that with someone as well, I felt as if WW and Elfman’s Batman theme were used as a foundation for the Hero theme.

Everyone knows how I feel about Zimmer and the state of most current film music so I’ll save my breath and spare everyone.

This may not be perfect but it’s a step in the right direction for DC musically. 

Just now, Stefancos said:

I must have missed the Superman theme, where did it play in the film?

Spoiler

When Superman is resurrected (but the theme is twisted a bit) and when Superman appears during the final battle and punches Steppenwolf.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

I must have missed the Superman theme, where did it play in the film?

Here.

Spoiler

And also when he appears towards the end.

Karol

I haven't actually noticed the moustache thing. Didn't really pay enough attention. But he did look bit strange in some shots, like they actually used a CGI double or something. Also in his first sequence they must have changed a lot in post because a lot of the shots in trailers from that scene seem to take place at night.

Karol

Around the internet, it seems disgruntled employees are coming forward with all sorts of revelations about the behind the scenes drama and the film is a Frankenstein monster if ever there was one. 90% of Superman's stuff is from re-shoots. Whedon ended up retooling upwards of 60-70% of the film. 

The story of this film's making is far more interesting than the film itself.

PS: how come people did not find the creepy animated face on Superman more distracting? It just looked horrible. The FX company employees who worked on the moustache removal themselves said on Reddit that they did not have a lot of time and even they think it looks horrible.

1 minute ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The FX company employees who worked on the moustache removal themselves said on Reddit that they did not have a lot of time and even they think it looks horrible.

I'm not saying they are for sure fakers, but I'm always wary of internet accounts that say they work for a company during some controversy.  They better use real names that can be verified against the credits.

Recently there was a person who falsely claimed to work for EA (Electronic Arts) during the Star Wars Battlefront II loot box debacle.  Just to be a troll/get attention.