The temp track or similarities thread

toothless

Very interesting @Muad'Dib

In some ways temp tracking is kind of nice because you know there's a piece out there that sounds at least vaguely like your favorite cue. :lol:

I do really like those Henry V bits in particular. I'd never heard the score. 

Emulate seems a better word, but yes, you hear the influences. Of course, 'Hook' proved that copying was not above him - i guess he just liked that Delerue piece and 'The Sea Hawk' ('The Firebird' notwithstanding).

For JP's 'Island fanfare' i throw Bruce Broughton's 'Silverado' into the ring, which was a beloved temp track piece back then:

On 6/17/2017 at 11:23 PM, ymenard said:

Well, Spielberg did it on Jurassic Park (with the Brachiosorious cue) and Henry V again.   That's why it would more enter into the temp track territory here, it's a lot more harder to say than comparing something like Debussy's La fille aux cheveux de lin and Episode 1.

Could you point me to the specific TPM cue where you think that was the temp? 

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

How do you know this?

I would have to check old 'Soundtrack' and FSM issues but i remember Doyle and 'P2' mentioned as temp tracks on the both JP scores. 'Silverado' is just  hunch.

On 6/30/2017 at 0:55 PM, Will said:

Could you point me to the specific TPM cue where you think that was the temp? 

I said we don't know if such piece was temp-tracked, since it was a really short motif (It's working! in TPM) and only is a couple of seconds long. It's also way too specific to temp track in such a way and it's only the orchestral transcription from Debussy's Prelude.  It probably inspired Johnny, especially since impressionism and religious-undertone is all throughout TPM especially the Tatooine scenes.

Henry V is another thing...

On 2017-6-30 at 9:47 PM, publicist said:

I would have to check old 'Soundtrack' and FSM issues but i remember Doyle and 'P2' mentioned as temp tracks on the both JP scores. 'Silverado' is just  hunch.

Mentioned by who?

It was something like an ongoing series about music editors. But it really isn't a big secret. If you were a FSM reader in the 90's, there were literally 100s of such revelations. 

Because nobody gives enough shit to dig up the old magazines. Why is it so important? Even without the faint remembrance of reading it the fucking music is the sound proof. It is obviously modeled on something not out of the Williams toolbox and the 'Henry V' influence on the stegosaurus cue is VERY obvious. 

• 1 month later...

At first I thought this might be a coincidence, but I notice a lot of similarities between my favorite Rogue One action cue and The Matrix's subway fight cue:

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Which is best, Will? Answer wisely...

Obviously Rogue One.

Star Wars is better than everything!

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Let him speak! Come forth, Will, and tell us your honest thoughts on the matter.

In terms of score, I'm not sure yet, as I've only listened to The Matrix once. In terms of these particular cues, I'd have to go with Giacchino's, mainly because the building tone thing seems to be harmonized in a slightly more heroic manner, although it's close. Also the Giacchino cue has some really fun trilling going on. 

That's probably not the answer you were looking for, but there it is!

2 hours ago, Loert said:

John did it better!

1 hour ago, Will said:

At first I thought this might be a coincidence, but I notice a lot of similarities between my favorite Rogue One action cue and The Matrix's subway fight cue:

Don did it better!

12 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

John did it better!

It is good...but the age gap is large. Corigliano was fortunate to have had Sonorism happen!

1 hour ago, Will said:

In terms of score, I'm not sure yet, as I've only listened to The Matrix once.

Only once?!

29 minutes ago, Loert said:

Only once?!

Haha yeah, I just saw the film for the first time yesterday (and loved it!) and dove right into the OST afterward. 

30 minutes ago, Will said:

Haha yeah, I just saw the film for the first time yesterday (and loved it!) and dove right into the OST afterward. 

Well, it's better than nothing! :D Glad you liked it. Make sure to listen to the rest of the trilogy too...Matrix Revolutions is my favourite of the three.

1 hour ago, Loert said:

Well, it's better than nothing! :D Glad you liked it. Make sure to listen to the rest of the trilogy too...Matrix Revolutions is my favourite of the three.

Matrix Revolutions is the purest of the three in terms of traditional orchestration work. It's also my most listened of the three precisely for that reason. 

Yeah, I'm listening to it now after seeing the film yesterday. I do really like the techno beats, even though they largely aren't Davis. I thought the film was very good and thought-provoking but that it still wasn't close to the first one. I'll be seeing the third in a couple days. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just read in this article that "The Firebird" was used in the temp track to The Thin Red Line. Does anyone know what scene that might have gone with, and, more importantly, what bit of the ballet score was used? 

• 2 months later...

Just obvious and well-known things. Except for "The Mask of Zorro".

7:01

and

5:18

0:00 to end

This one (0:00 to 02:05)

Served of inspiration for this.

5:21

And

Ha! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...