The temp track or similarities thread

toothless

I lack the musical knowledge to really explain this, but Elfman and Shore just seem to favour similar progressions. Parts of Silence of the Lambs are very similar to Batman, while the quieter parts of Oz sound like the Shire parts of Lord of the Rings. It's probably why Shore scoring Ed Wood doesn't seem as odd in context as it might have done, or how Elfman channelling Shore in Red Dragon just sounds like Elfman. I don't think they're ever copying each other.

With my previous post (Shore elfman) and the one before it (Hooper/muse), I think it's just unintentional similarities hence why I changed the title of this thread to better reflect that :)Nonetheless, both examples a quite striking at how similar they sound :)

45 minutes ago, toothless said:

think it's just unintentional similarities

Indeed. I doubt The Hobbit was temped with anything other than The Lord of the Rings.

At most, some other works of Shore may have been used.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

From an IMAX film - I'll eat my hat if that wasn't temped with Dante's Peak. Not only the main theme but the whole cue structure from this point:

I just clicked play at the same time on both videos and it allmost sounds like one piece indeed !

• 1 month later...

When I listen to "Ravenna's Embrace" and more so with "We are worthy of each other" from JNH's The Huntsman, I get a feelings of "The face of pan" by Williams :) Just some similarities :) 

I love how parts of Dracula were the basis for the Cloud City music years later in TESB, sans choir. In fact I love how Dracula is one big unofficial Star Wars alts album.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Listening to Marvel's Daredevil Season 3 soundtrack after watching the series and came across this little piece. It was either inspired by Remembering Petticoat Lane from Jurassic Park, or perhaps an homage to Williams...

Partway through the track, Paesano introduces a small choir that also reminds me of another cue from Jurassic Park - Hatching Baby Raptor.

Can anyone else hear the similarities?

I was listening to some opera when I heard something that reminded me of a track in Solo...

It probably wasn't a temp track though haha

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with self-stealing (in moderation).  Just wanted to point this out.

(0:26 - 0:41)

(4:59 - 5:17)

You may remember that the latter is my favorite part of my favorite score of 2017 ("don't @ me" as the kids say!)

• 1 month later...

When watching Home Alone 2, I noticed one of the chases uses the chase motif from Indy's Very First Adventure, another one is a prototype Fighting the Troll.

• 1 month later...

The above piece has a reoccuring section (it first appears at 0:07) with an uncannily similarity to two separate Mario Nascimbene film compositions:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This isn't so much a similarity as a direct interpolation of the material, but I was listening to Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream last week and it was absolutely killing me thinking of what movie "Dance of Clowns" made me think of.  I finally thought of it today: it was used in The Santa Clause (not credited in the film credits though).  I'm guessing this was a result of temp love.

Here's the music in context

That’s a good catch! I imagine if the music producer of the Santa clause ever saw this post, he/she’d be exasperated that they found the one guy on the interwebs who called them out on their oversight. 

• 2 months later...

Beyond the Morricone, the theme from Yellowstone is effectively Quick and the Dead - perhaps massive homage or just, well, something, else. Play the key themes from Silvestri in your mind with this 'theme', slow it down, and well.....voila.

Breaking! The Planet of the Apes series has utilized time travel for decades. But what if original composer Jerry Goldsmith was no stranger to time travel either? What if he went to the future  and used the sounds of tomorrow to generate the celebrated music of his time? Want to know the answer? You may not like what you find. 

The source?

On 8/12/2019 at 1:35 PM, thestat said:

Beyond the Morricone, the theme from Yellowstone is effectively Quick and the Dead - perhaps massive homage or just, well, something, else. Play the key themes from Silvestri in your mind with this 'theme', slow it down, and well.....voila.

I'm not hearing anything beyond some vague melodic similarity.

I like Tyler's scores for this series, but his main theme doesn't really do it for me.

On 10/21/2018 at 1:02 AM, Arpy said:

Listening to Marvel's Daredevil Season 3 soundtrack after watching the series and came across this little piece. It was either inspired by Remembering Petticoat Lane from Jurassic Park, or perhaps an homage to Williams...

Partway through the track, Paesano introduces a small choir that also reminds me of another cue from Jurassic Park - Hatching Baby Raptor.

Can anyone else hear the similarities?

The first half of that was definitely temped with Petticoat Lane and Hatching Baby Raptor. Particularly from 1:30 - you can just picture Hammond looking solemnly towards the island, and even down to instrumentation at 2:38.

The second half sounds more original, but man... they should've just licensed JW's cues for the first half.

If ever i were in an editing situation I'd show the composer a copy of the film with a temp track once (so they knew what sort of thing I wanted) and then immediately replace the temp with the shittiest, tinniest stock music I could find (of a quality that no studio would put in a movie). That way, anything the composer produced would be better.

Aaron Copland very lightly borrowing from a folk song for his Red Pony film score.  A folk song that he later published his own arrangement of in the "Old American Songs" set.

Copland borrowed from folk songs all the time of course, I mention this time only because about The Red Pony Copland said, “There are no quotations of folklore anywhere in the work.”  Wrong!

(0:40 - 0:47)

(0:28 - 0:42)

And here is Copland's own arrangement for voice & piano

On 8/16/2019 at 11:01 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Television is the dump of Film/Television Scoring.  

I don't see why more TV doesn't just use library music. If the nature of the show means that the music isn't really prominent, there are better things for composers to spend their time on.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I was listening to the Memoirs of a Geisha OST a few days ago, when this

reminded me of this

I don't think is very unlikely that Snow Falling on Cedars was used as temp for Geisha, but anyway, on the very same track, I discovered an unexpected surprise: the second half of the OST track, which, according to Jay's spreadsheet, corresponds to cue 6M5A The War Comes, is quite similar to The Immolation Scene from Revenge of the Sith!

Just listen to this:

And this

I'm pretty sure this has been brought up by another JWFanner since 2005, but since I haven't listened to Geisha in years, this struck me as a surprise.