The temp track or similarities thread

toothless

I was listening to a little Ferdinand, like any good Powell fan would on a Saturday morning, when I immediately thought that there was something about it that said Bizet. Then I listened to, incidentally, a Mutter album containing Sarasate's Carmen Fantasy based off of Bizet's beloved opera. The feeling of similarity, even though there is a difference, solidifies my feeling that Ferdinand, obviously rooted in Spanish opera to begin with, is a very Bizet-esque score.

The Sarasate piece is quoting Aragonaise from Carmen of course.

• 3 weeks later...

I was watching The Phantom Menace yesterday (although it's my least favourite, I'm doing a Star Wars Marathon)

And I was surprised to hear something that sound very similar to Kylo Ren's theme to my ears:

At 0:10

• 1 month later...

Escape from the Planet of the Apes, The Labor Continues (couldn't find it on YT but it's conveniently in the LLL sample, 0:59-)

https://johndadlez.com/MP3/PlanetOfTheApesSoundtrackCollection/3 EFTPOTA/3_10_TLC.mp3

Compared with The Mummy:

• 3 weeks later...

Makes me think of Hedwig’s Theme at 0:15!

Funny that it is with the same director that a decade later, John Williams would work on Harry Potter. 

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a personal story: about a decade ago, my father or my brother (don't remember exactly) was in the living room watching Benjamin Button. Then this scene started...

And I immediately was reminded of this:

But what do you guys think? Was Benjamin Button temped with Spider-Man of all things? Or just Desplat and Elfman wrote similar melancholic music for violins? Of course, Elfman's a little sadder and maybe more modern/urban, while Desplat's more magical and whimsy, but anyway.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Here's a personal story: about a decade ago, my father or my brother (don't remember exactly) was in the living room watching Benjamin Button. Then this scene started...

And I immediately was reminded of this:

But what do you guys think? Was Benjamin Button temped with Spider-Man of all things? Or just Desplat and Elfman wrote similar melancholic music for violins? Of course, Elfman's a little sadder and maybe more modern/urban, while Desplat's more magical and whimsy, but anyway.

Can't say they sound particularly similar. The whimsy in Desplat's track definitely sets it apart from the melancholic mood Elfman was going for. That bit of instrumentation you highlighted is a bit close, but that's about it.

Honestly, it reminds me more of the first minute and 40 seconds from this Oldfield track:

Admittedly, I think it's more the general vibe than anything the track does composition wise, but it stuck out to me nonetheless.

Also, where was any of that in Desplat's HP scores? Would've enjoyed those far more if there were more moments like the Benjamin Button track. Good stuff!

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

Can't say they sound particularly similar. The whimsy in Desplat's track definitely sets it apart from the melancholic mood Elfman was going for. That bit of instrumentation you highlighted is a bit close, but that's about it.

Yeah, as I grew older, I realized that, despite having similar violin melodies, these are very different cues with different moods.

On 2/1/2020 at 12:28 PM, Edmilson said:

Yeah, as I grew older, I realized that, despite having similar violin melodies, these are very different cues with different moods.

Funnily enough, I was listening to some JL tracks, and suddenly this particular cue gave me "Alone" vibes that hadn't jumped out at me prior. Not sure if this particular exchange influenced my thought process afterwards.

This particular cue is very much in the vein of the more melancholic parts of the Spidey scores. Pretty good track, probably my favorite (along with A New Hope) on the JL score, although I'm not exactly a fan of the Age of Ultron-like action music.

• 2 months later...
On 12/23/2019 at 5:37 AM, Luka said:

Makes me think of Hedwig’s Theme at 0:15!

Funny that it is with the same director that a decade later, John Williams would work on Harry Potter. 

All Williams' films must take place in the same universe!

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2019 at 10:25 PM, Fabulin said:

This should have been the music to Hedwig's death

found the middle man!

17:50-19:10 several further ideas for Hedwig's Theme can be found.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So how the hell did the title theme of a classic 60s-70s hungarian puppet series end up in Furry Vengeance (2010)? Is there some common ancestor I'm missing?

• 2 weeks later...

It's spoilt in the title, but listen to hear what Jim Steinman could have accomplished if he had become a regular film composer...

He would have been like Horner with all the recycling :lol: but man, those melodies with those orchestrations are gorgeous! He should have definetly done more scoring for film, he always said he loved film scores, I don't understand why he didn't do it more (not counting the songs, I mean background score).

Warren Zevon would have been a great film composer too, I remember Judd Appatow offered him a movie that never materialized... Ah, the possibilites...

• 2 weeks later...

Tomoyasu Hotei - Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Mitsuto Suzuki - The Audition (first 50 seconds only)

• 3 weeks later...

While John Ottman has denied using Lifeforce as the basis of his X-Men theme (down to even outright saying that it wasn't in the temp), I do wonder if he has anything to say about this particular similarity:

I can certainly believe it being a coincidence, given the shared elements are essentially just the back beat of both tracks, but I can't help but wonder given how successful RFAD would've been.

That is such an inherently simple idea and progression that it's plausible both of them could've come up with it independently. Not to mention that the TDKR cue uses the established main two note motif for the series, so unless it's a TF3 situation (ironically a Jablonsky effort) where the themes from the score are thrown in to try and hide the temp, I'm sure it's just HZ messing around with his own themes further.

The sound is exactly the same. Yes the progression itself could have been thought of independently, but it's almost the exact same, so even that I have a hard time believing. Plus the 2 note motif is only one part of that progression, the rest sounds exactly like Jablonsky's.

Even if I give the benefit of the doubt and say the exact same chord progression is a coincidence, someone from HZ's team decided to get the exact same sound for TDKR brass from Your Highness. I think the TF3 situation is more likely overall.

I just discover that Michel Legrand's Theme from the Thomas Crown Affair: Windmills of your Mind has a french reboot song from Legrand himself called Les Moulins de mon Coeur (Windmills of my heart litteraly)