The temp track or similarities thread

toothless

On 22/10/2018 at 3:08 PM, Luka said:

I was listening to some opera when I heard something that reminded me of a track in Solo...

It probably wasn't a temp track though haha

I raise you this...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gabriel, for some reason, can't hear your examples but do they sound like this:

If they do, it is all very intentional. Williams, Davis etc are very explicit about referencing Adams as there is an intellectual and creative connection between their work.

Hey, how about this as the opening to the Matrix

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Edmilson said:

16 years before, Danny Elfman predicted another Marvel theme.

Listen to the woodwinds from 0:04 to 0:15:

Now listen to this (1:24 to 1:41):

That's just Take on Me...

• 1 month later...
On 16/04/2019 at 9:55 PM, Disco Stu said:

Gettysburg is on TCM right now.  This moment in the main title immediately made me think of "Test Drive"

The Gettysburg theme came up on shuffle and I was reminded of this.  I think of Test Drive every time!

I doesn’t belong to that thread but I didn’t know where to put it: I just realized while I I was whistling the danger motif that it’s the base of the theme in interstellar 😂

• 2 weeks later...

JFC, I hate that Holkenborg brass sample but at least it's a decent score and theme. Much better than I can say about Elfman. The dude has not composed anything memorable since Dumbo. And this is from someone who loves Elfman. I saw him live at the London Nightmare Before Christmas concert - he was a ball of amazing, astonishing fire. Clearly film composition is not what he is into nowadays,,,,,

On 20/12/2022 at 2:46 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

I've never heard this score before, but I just found yet another cue that The Clone Wars blatantly rips off. :lol:

McNeely ripoffs are awesome. They are done by a fan who loves the original material.

On 28/11/2022 at 7:47 PM, thestat said:

Gabriel, for some reason, can't hear your examples but do they sound like this:

If they do, it is all very intentional. Williams, Davis etc are very explicit about referencing Adams as there is an intellectual and creative connection between their work.

Hey, how about this as the opening to the Matrix

Yeah, there's a lot of John Adams-esqe minimalism in the first Matrix score. I'm not familiar enough with Don Davis's work to know if he always does this, but I don't recall much, if any, in JPIII.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Michael Kamen's The Runway from Die Hard 2 (the good stuff starts at 2:20):

From Robert Folk's replacement score for Tremors (so short time scale and massive temp track concerns) (and obviously Folk is much much more than capable to compose his own action music as can be heard in the track below and he totally makes this his own....

Does anyone happen to know where this might've been temped from? I heard the exact section from 1:11 to 1:56 in a completely unrelated PS2 game, so I figure they must both have been temped from elsewhere.

18 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Does anyone happen to know where this might've been temped from? I heard the exact section from 1:11 to 1:56 in a completely unrelated PS2 game, so I figure they must both have been temped from elsewhere.

What game?

1 hour ago, enderdrag64 said:

What game?

I can't recall, but it was an extremely obscure game with basic synth/MIDI samples from like ~2005. I did check the credits too and there was no involvement from anyone who worked on TCW.

I guess when writing his Ninth Symphony, the editor tracked this theme and Beethoven went with it ;)

PS: I know there's also a proto-Ode to Joy in Choral Fantasy, so it's fun to find that he was working and working on that elusive melody.

Looking back in retrospect, I think the early 2010s was an important moment for the downfall of traditionally orchestral scores, because it was then that Hollywood made even established and experienced composers like JNH to copy the Zimmer Nolan scores (specifically Batman and Inception) in the temp track as closely as possible.

• 1 month later...

This is purely coincidental, but I thought it was interesting. 

I've been rewatching Doctor Who, and in 1x06 Dalek there's a theme that shows up a couple times that has the exact melody of Battle of the Heroes from ROTS. 

It shows up right before the title theme in the episode, and again around the 25:40 mark as the Doctor tells the military group that the Dalek isn't indestructible

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling that the motif below, which I like to call "the worried piano", has been re-used in numerous horror/suspense/psychological thriller movies. On the top of my head I remember hearing something similar in Wallfisch's It scores and maybe in  Marco Beltrami's or Fernando Velazquez's work for suspense movies.

And I'm not sure Goldenthal was the inventor of it either. I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of "worried pianos" had popped up in even older scores.

Talking of Sherlock, I don't know if anyone else watches the UK series Taskmaster, but the piece of music composed for the task intro sections is so reminiscent that I have to stop myself humming Arnold's main theme every time I hear it:

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

the UK series Taskmaster

There's a Quebec version that I've been watching and it's the same music haha

I guess the fact that the original is from the UK make it even more Sherlock-like hahaha

• 3 weeks later...

In his new blog post, Lukas Kendall compared two cues from Avatar: The Way of Water and Spiderman: No Way Home and came to the conclusion that every modern score is... the same.

I had a funny moment yesterday that acted as good contrast. I was channel surfing with my daughters (twins, they’re eight). I was briefly on Avatar 2, on HBO...as reverent choral music played for a scene of ecological tragedy (doesn’t matter which one).

The kids saw Spider Man: No Way Home on the channel guide and asked me to turn to it. 

So I did—and reverent choral music played for a scene of one of the Spider-Mans losing his mind in grief and beating the crap out of a defenseless Green Goblin.

I said, “It’s the same music.” The kids listened a sec, and laughed: “Yeah, it is!”

I haven’t gone back to compare the cues—but sonically, they really did sound like the same cue. I mean, they might have even been in the same key. (I’ve been told lots of film cues are in D minor because it’s easy to play, with only one flat.)

In the old days, there was occasionally “temp track love” that would result in similar sounding cues.

But this was even deeper than that: it was, on a conceptual level, the exact same cue.

And that’s film music today on the blockbuster level. It’s like there are three or four different cues: joy, suspense, tragedy, action. Just pick one and tailor it to the timings.

And each score is effectively written by eight or nine musicians, working under the “brand name” of the guy with the track record who supervises.

It’s really the only kind of score that fits this business model—and, make no mistake, it is a business, and a huge one at that.

I don’t think it’s a surprise that the “multiverse” films are the last big mega-hits being squeezed out of these “franchises.” They’re just a kind of comic book that we all used to read: the “team-up.” Three different Spider-Mans! Two different Batmans! Old and young Indiana Jones, together!

It really feels like the end of something.

https://www.lukaskendall.com/post/it-s-the-same-score

This is probably the NWH cue he was referring to:

Don't know about the Avatar one, it's probably unreleased.

On 09/04/2023 at 4:16 AM, Edmilson said:

Looking back in retrospect, I think the early 2010s was an important moment for the downfall of traditionally orchestral scores, because it was then that Hollywood made even established and experienced composers like JNH to copy the Zimmer Nolan scores (specifically Batman and Inception) in the temp track as closely as possible.

I've never seen the film but found this clip of the scene. It's just about the least inspiring way imaginable of scoring it, paying no regard whatsoever to the period or setting. Not saying I'd expect a medieval ensemble, but a historical approach to action has been done far better than this. I really hope the director explicitly asked JNH for this, because otherwise it's a very poor cue.

11 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I've never seen the film but found this clip of the scene. It's just about the least inspiring way imaginable of scoring it, paying no regard whatsoever to the period or setting. Not saying I'd expect a medieval ensemble, but a historical approach to action has been done far better than this.

Yep, it's a particularly uninspired cue. The score as a whole has some really good parts (some of them unreleased), but the action/suspense music is so uninspired and dull. You can almost see the director/producers/executives/etc asking JNH for a "Batman Begins kind of score".

12 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I've never seen the film but found this clip of the scene. It's just about the least inspiring way imaginable of scoring it, paying no regard whatsoever to the period or setting. Not saying I'd expect a medieval ensemble, but a historical approach to action has been done far better than this. I really hope the director explicitly asked JNH for this, because otherwise it's a very poor cue.

It's very classic JNH action cue though haha like I could have perfectly heard that in Hunger Games. Actually I feel like I heard pretty much the same thing in Hunger Games 😆 And Maleficent too