Jerry Goldsmith's PAPILLON - NEW Quartet Records Expanded Version

Incanus

Quartet Records releases:

Papillon

papillon.jpg

Jerry Goldsmith

PRE-ORDER

€16.95

Quartet Records, in collaboration with Universal Music France and the Ecoutez le cinéma! Collection, are glad to present the expanded, definitive release of Jerry Goldsmith’s masterpiece for Franklin J. Schafner’s 1973 prison drama Papillon.

The bestselling autobiography of Henri Charrière, one of the few people to successfully escape from the notorious French penal colony of Devil's Island, served as the basis for Papillon. Steve McQueen plays the pugnacious Charrière (known as "Papillon" because of a prominent tattoo), incarcerated—wrongly, he claims—for murdering a pimp. He saves the life of fellow convict Louis Dega (Dustin Hoffman), a counterfeiter who will later show his gratitude by helping Charrière in his many escape attempts, and by smuggling food to Charrière when the latter is put in solitary confinement.

Papillon was an expensive French production by Robert Dorfman, with financial support from some American studios. When Schafner entered the project, he wanted to score the film with his favorite composer, Jerry Goldsmith, with whom he had already made three films (including the classics Planet of the Apes and Patton) After Papillon, Goldsmith had the opportunity to compose another three magnificent scores for Schafner (Islands in the Stream, The Boys From Brazil and Lionheart).

The sublime Academy Award-nominated score of Papillon is among the best and most celebrated of Goldsmith’s scores, and one of his personal favorites. It features a memorable main theme (a “Montmartre-like tune”), Impressionistic passages à la Debussy, intense and dramatic music, all colorfully orchestrated by Arthur Morton.

This new release has been carefully remixed and mastered by Mike Matessino from the recently discovered multi-tracks masters of the complete sessions, recorded in Italy and preserved in mint condition. It features every note Goldsmith recorded for the film, including music ultimately not featured in the final cut, extended versions of some cues trimmed during film editing, and alternates. There is also a generous selection of source music specially arranged by Alexander Courage and conducted by Goldsmith (these cues are quite important in the film, since they appear in Papillon’s dreams and in the band concert during the escape).

The 20-page full-color booklet includes liner notes by Ecoutez le cinéma! producer Stéphane Lerouge, and by John Takis, who provides a comprehensive track-by-track analysis.

01. Theme From Papillon (2:20)

02. The Camp (3:02)

03. Catching Butterflies (Extended Version) (2:57)

04. The Dream (1:49)

05. Hospital (3:51)

06. Papillon (Theme Variation) (1:50)

07. Freedom (3:59)

08. New Friend (2:07)

09. Antonio’s Death (2:30)

10. Gift From the Sea (Film Version) (8:18)

11. The Pearl (1:03)

12. Reunion (4:38)

13. The Garden (0:51)

14. Cruel Sea (1:30)

15. Farewell—Part 1 (0:59)

16. Farewell—Part 2 (2:25)

17. End Title (2:45)

Source Music

18. Field Drums (0:44)

19. Triumphant Parade (1:50)

20. Dance of the Nubian Slaves (from Faust) (2:49)

21. Cleopatra’s Variations (from Faust) (2:12)

22. Phryne’s Dance (from Faust) (2:13)

23. J’ai Deux Amours (1:52)

24. Sous les Toits de Paris (3:16)

Bonus Tracks

25. The Dream (Alternate) (1:44)

26. Freedom (Alternate) (3:59)

27. Free as the Wind (3:10)

Total Disc Time: 71:31

Limited Collector’s Edition of 1000 units.

I am a bit on the fence whether to upgrade this one since I own the Universal France release.

Ordered. And this marks a first speciality label purchase of 2017 for me. I'm shocked just how dull this year has been so far.

Karol

That is why I always think twice before ordering anything from Varese. They charge me customs on top of everything else. Still haven't bought Stanley & Iris for this very reason.

Karol

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

Doesn't Screenarchives carry this for US customers?

Yeah, that's how I bought the Quartet Tom Sawyer release.  I'll see what the price would come to once they have this listed.

Hey this is great, as I own no version of this score!  Excellent!

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Finally something worth my time.

Karol

No love for Stanley & Iris / Pete N Tillie, Twister, Sky High, Cliffhanger, Spielberg / Williams III, Lockhart Williams Rarities, Simone Pedroni piano Williams?

1 hour ago, Jim Ware said:

The Universal France release has a number of cues running at an incorrect speed (and therefore at incorrect pitch). 

Well that changes everything. Since it is one of my absolute favourite Goldsmith scores I had to order this. :) 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Hmmmm, this comes out to $32 USD when converted with shipping... that certainly crosses a threshold where I have to think twice.

Yeah, at that price I'm gonna wait and hope they release it digitally like Basic Instinct and Total Recall. I love the score, but that's too much for me.

Edit to add: This will be much cheaper at Screen Archives -- $24.86 shipped.

16.95€ is nothing! Just compare Quartet's and Varese's prices! In Germany you pay 35€ for a 1CD Varese album and 25€ for a 2CD Quartet album! I love you, Quartet records!

Regardless of who worked on it, the music speaks for itself and should be ordered immediately especially by those who devote their time to lame modern superhero scores and the like. This was a time when a score still counted! (and there's not even music in the first 30 minutes).

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Now the burning question is what other label has a great one up its sleeve before ordering a single cd...

I just have a never ending wish list of obscure Italian scores for that very purpose. Ordered along with Morricone's Matchless. 

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Hey this is great, as I own no version of this score!  Excellent!

No love for Stanley & Iris / Pete N Tillie, Twister, Sky High, Cliffhanger, Spielberg / Williams III, Lockhart Williams Rarities, Simone Pedroni piano Williams?

All of those are fine. But weak lineup compared to previous years.

To put it in numbers, I used to buy 50-60 albums a year for the past 6-7 years. We're in late June now and I only got 4 so far. I have yet to fully listen to 3 of those and none of them contain music written specifically for a 2017 film. And no, new arrangements of Alan Menken stuff, with few additions, don't count.

Karol

World premiere of a completely unreleased John Williams score is weak.  What a world we live in...

The second half of the year will be more exciting than the first, don't worry

I didn't say if it was exciting or not, just that its not a weak release.  It's important.

Papillon is by far the highlight of the year, so far! Would you recommend to buy it immediately? I'm worried because of those 1000 copies. I mean it's PAPILLON!!!

The following of the main program is unreleased:

1. Catching Butterflies (1:23 minutes)
  2. The Dream (0:30 minutes)
  3. Papillon (1:50 minutes)
  4. The Garden (0:51 minutes)
  5. Farewell - Part II (0:30 minutes)

John, do you happen to know when this release is going to ship?

Quartet confirmed to me that Universal France retained the digital rights, so while its possible this could come out digitally, it may not be probable. It would be up to Universal France.

OK now the site reads:

PRE-ORDER
Availability date: 06/29/2017

Yeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just saw it on jerrygoldsmithonline!!!!!! This was so due to be released!!! Now I can burn my Universal France CD!

Last year we got "Chinatown", "The Omen" and "Rambo: First Blood Part II" and this year "Papillon"! That's it, now we have all classics!

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Whoever decided to limit this release to just 1000 units, made a bad decision. It should have been at least 2000. Now there will be exactly 1000 very lucky people and approximately further 1000 very unlucky people.

Someone from Quartet posted about this over at FSM. They said the tiny quantity was a "Strict restiction from the license owner."

2 hours ago, Display Name said:

Last year we got "Chinatown", "The Omen" and "Rambo: First Blood Part II" and this year "Papillon"! That's it, now we have all classics!

What? No love for Air Force One? Or Mulan?

44 minutes ago, Muldoon said:

What? No love for Air Force One? Or Mulan?

Of course, I want them more than anything else. I was just refering to the remaining notorious scores from the 70s and 80s. Of course there are still a few 80s scores and tons of 90s scores that need to be completed.

49 minutes ago, Muldoon said:

Someone from Quartet posted about this over at FSM. They said the tiny quantity was a "Strict restiction from the license owner."

Okay, this makes sense. Otherwise these 1000 units would have been a very awkward decision. Why would the license owner do that?