Watchmen series is being developed by Damon Lindelof for HBO

crocodile

I thought Lindelof had been banished from the face of the earth? Why can't he just go away, nobody liked him. 

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I thought Lindelof had been banished from the face of the earth? Why can't he just go away, nobody liked him. 

I haven't seen anything from Lindelof that I've disliked, and Prometheus is my favorite Alien movie.

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I will take Lindelof over Zack Snyder any day, all day.

:beerchug:

I do think that Watchmen was pretty well covered in the movie regardless, so shrug on this one.

5 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I point you to The Leftovers sir! One of TV's finest.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

KK and Koray will probably go mad for this.

No. This sounds like a bad idea. And I'm not sure I trust Lindelof's instincts outside of smaller human dramas. Also doesn't help that I haven't really enjoyed anything else he's helped pen.

56 minutes ago, KK said:

I point you to The Leftovers sir! One of TV's finest.

Yeah, based on his previous work I have to wonder how much of that show is down to him alone and I doubt it's much. 

Judging from what I've read from the cast and crew, he had a fundamental part to play. He is a co-creator after all. But I'm sure it helped that he had Tom Perotta by his side to class things up.

Some ideas simply don't work as long form media.  I can buy a mini-series of like 8 episodes, but an ongoing series with multiple seasons is overkill.  If this ends up being great then I'll eat my hat.

• 1 year later...

Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross to score Lindelof's Watchmen:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-score-hbo-watchmen-727263/

The Watchmen cast includes Regina King, Jeremy Irons, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson and more ...

Don Johnson?!

• 7 months later...
2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

The trailer does nothing for me. 

The further Watchmen gets away from what Alan Moore originally created the less interesting it becomes, I find.

That and the Syder film is all you need.

The trailer does nothing for me either. But I have faith in Lindelof!

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

KK is a The Leftovers apostle.

Indeed. But maybe Lindelof needed Perrotta by his side to make that happen. We shall see...

1 hour ago, KK said:

Indeed. But maybe Lindelof needed Perrotta by his side to make that happen. We shall see...

A lot of the mythology, philosophy, and pathos in The Leftovers are refined from LOST. It’s very clearly Lindelof, especially after the first season, which is all original material. Perrotta’s book is covered in its entirety in season one. 

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I gave up after the first season, because the finale of that was already very drawn out. I guess they were told halfway through that they got to make another season.

They did the best they could under the constraints of a bygone era of prime time network television. The show went on hiatus midway through Season 3 so they could negotiate an end date and write towards it instead of stretching it out as long as possible as instructed. 

To me, the mystery was always secondary to the human stories on Lost - an exciting framework for the rest of it.  I guess why that's why I loved it until the end.  It did sag a bit in season 3, but once they had a target, it really ended with laser focus. 

My spouse gave up on The Leftovers after the first episode, so as a result I gave up on The Leftovers after the first episode.   I did like the pilot though.

Checking Lindelof's Wikipedia entry, I loved most of the stuff I've seen of his, except for ST:ID which I thought was just OK.  As I mentioned earlier in this thread,

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:53 AM, mstrox said:

Prometheus is my favorite Alien movie.

This trailer is too brief to give me a feel one way or the other on Watchmen, but we'll definitely check out at least the first episode.