Watchmen series is being developed by Damon Lindelof for HBO

crocodile

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The show went on hiatus midway through Season 3 so they could negotiate an end date and write towards it instead of stretching it out as long as possible as instructed. 

No, there was a hiatus in season 3 because of the 2007 writer's strike.

Oh snap you're right!

Season 3 was when ABC thought they could being the season and get through sweeps with 6 episodes of LOST, then had a replacement show (DAYBREAK starring Taye Diggs) come in and replace it for the winter, but it bombed and reruns filled the gap till LOST returned for February sweeps

From Damon Lindelof's open letter to the Watchmen fans:

We have no desire to 'adapt' the twelve issues Mr. Moore and Mr. Gibson created thirty year ago. Those issues are sacred ground and they will not be retread nor recreated nor reproduced nor rebooted. They will however be remixed. Because the bass lines in those familiar tracks are just too good and we'd be fools not to sample them. Those original twelve issues are our Old Testament. When the New Testament came along it did not erase what came before it.    

watchmen-silver-face-700x380.jpg

Oh Damon, you sweet child, don't you see you are making it even worse for yourself? Now you're not only making connection to the Bible but also creating something that will be compared to the "beloved" work.

Karol

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

From Damon Lindelof's open letter to the Watchmen fans:

The wholesale cockswallowing among a section of the comic book fandom is vomitive and nauseating.

Sacred? 

If the fucking bible can be made into series and movies, Shakespeare can be made into series and movies then anything can be. Nothing is "sacred" in that regard. Jeez!

Yea, fandom is a strange, but powerful thing.

If it's good, it's good. If it's bad, it's bad. Right? I'm willing to give it a chance!

21 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Speaking of Lost, I keep seeing Game of Thrones being compared to it lately. A lot.

Lost had "ridiculous" in its DNA from a get go. The more silly it got the more I liked it. Sure, a lot of people were disappointed with the ending but not to this extent. I at least had some sort of emotional reaction to it. It was clunky but endearing, if that makes sense. GOT is leaner and more polished, even at its worst, but very flat all around.

Karol

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Quintus said:

These guys must be concerned about The Boys getting in with TV audiences before they did. The standard has been set and this will need to be better if it is to stand out.

Is that the one IMDB says John Williams has a cameo in? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Watchmen 1x01 It's Summer and We're Running Out of Ice

Hey that was pretty good.  This does a pretty good job of world building, both via things you subtly pick up on if you've read the comic or seen the movie, and just genuinely new ideas as well.  They paint a pretty good picture of how this world is different than ours, but also setting up the specific story they are telling this season.  I really enjoyed Tim Blake Nelson's Looking Glass character (in and out of mask), and Sister Night is one cool lady as well.  The whole Jeremy Irons sequence was awesome.  Overall, a compelling story, plenty of questions raised, but at least I get the impression they will be answered week to week and not dragged out forever.

Watchmen 1x02 Martial Feats of Comanche Horsemanship

Really surprised that Don Johson's sheriff character had a KKK outfit in his closet, is this a setup?  Jeremy Irons' scenes continue to be the best. So bizarre and fun.  Sister Night is a great main character, I like her a lot.  Nice to see her kick butt this week at the trailer park.  The story of the White Night was fascinating.  Oh and I forgot to mention last week, but I really like Reznor and Ross' score to this show!  It works really well in context and I might check it out on its own as well.

Watchmen 1x03 She Was Killed by Space Junk

Wow!  Jean Smart showing up as Laurie Blake was an injection of fun and excitement into this show just when it was needed.  Not that the show was boring before her, but it was a bit on the dour side, and her appearance in every scene she was in really livened up everything all around.  I wasn't a huge fan of the suicide bomber at Don Johnson's funeral nor that Sister Night had to throw his coffin on top of it after she got it in the hole, but w/e.  Seems like this could all be part of someone's plan for sure.  Jeremy Irons' scenes were again excellent, and the "reveal" that he's Ozymandias was likely not a surprise to anyone watching, but was still super fun.  I enjoyed Laurie's extended phone call to Dr Manhattan and don't really know what to make of the car that abducted Will being dropped in front of her at the end.  She looks up at Mars as if to imply it was his doing, but was it?

Watchmen 1x04 If You Don't Like My Story, Write Your Own

The whole opening with Lady Trieu buying the farm just before something impacts it from space was fantastic; I assume that is Ozmandias returning to Earth after he finally escapes his imprisonment?  But does Dr Manhattan have him imprisoned or does Trieu?  I thought Angela's long scene in the heritage center was a bit goofy and the tech in this world doesn't seem fully thought out (they don't have the internet or cell phones, but they have perfect holograms and pagers?), but I liked the way it joined up with Laurie seeing the car crash and the connection it all had to Lady Trieu and her company having ships that can carry cars around.  It's interesting that she is working with Will on something but i just have no idea what it could possibly be.  The Ozymandias scenes this week were a new level of weird with the fetuses in a lake (?) and that his prison has tech to grow them into functioning adults, and that he's catapulting them outside his prison.  But nothing was weirder than lube man appearing and sliding down that sewer grate (!!)  That was one of the funniest things I've seen on TV in a long while!

Watchmen 1x05 Little Fear of Lightning

Wow, the entire backstory, and present story, of Looking Glass was fantastic!  I loved the parallels of the 7K leading LG to "discover" the truck and set on their own parallels with Will wanting Angela to investigate her legacy on her own.  Also just seeing the giant squid in NYC realized was hella cool.  The world building was also great this week, interesting to see support groups for those affected by 11/2, etc.  I'm not sure what to make of the Ozymandias confession video, like would he have really felt it prudent to make that video on 11/1?  And it seemed like LG ended up immediately believing it without question.  But that also makes me wonder about Rohrschak's journal, which has presumably been published in this world, so shouldn't their already be lots of people who know it was a hoax?  I might have missed some details somewhere.  Sad to see LG have to turn on Angela and get her arrested (though it'll be fascinating to see what the pills do to her next week), and that the 7K showed up at his home at the end :( Ozymandias scenes this week were the best yet.  Interesting to reveal he's on a moon of Jupiter, and the whole arranging of corpses thing reminded me of the Black Freighter story too.  This show is awesome.

Watchmen 1x06 This Extraordinary Being

Well, that was awesome.  I loved the smokey b&w style of the entire memory sequence, all the camera tricks of sometimes showing Angela sometimes showing Will, all the reveals about what meant what and what's really been going on.  It didn't even matter that we got no continuation of the Veidt or Looking Glass storylines this week because Will's backstory was so compelling, as was the new light shed on what happened to Judd.  So he is a good guy after all, I knew it!  I somewhat dislike some of the more sci-fi aspects the show involves, such as memories being able to be transferred to someone else via pills, and a strobe light being able to mind-control someone, but everything is delivered in such a well designed package you can kinda just roll with it.

This season is paced really well too.  We're 2/3s of the way through the entire story and it feels like it.  Everything is right where it needs to be for the third act.  Can't wait to see what happens next.

• 2 weeks later...

Watchmen 1x07 An Almost Religious Awe

Another weird and wacky episode!  If you thought giant blue dildos and lube man was as weird as this show was gonna get, here comes the elephant in the room!

All the young Angela in Saigon memories were cool, as was the explanation of what the Seventh Kalvary is up to, and that Trieu's goal is to stop them, thought I still have no idea how or what her clock does.  Nice to see Looking Glass survived hte attack, and now has one of their masks to wear!  Maybe he'll be one of the dudes in the car outside Angela's house.  Speaking of the Kavalry, interesting spin that Judd's wife is working with them.  I remember having suspicions about her weeks ago, but then so much time went since we last saw her, I forgot about her for a while.  Interesting that Laurie fell for her terrible trap, unless that was her goal?  I can't figure out what role Laurie will play in all this.

Veidt's trial was pretty funny.  Can't wait to see him return to earth and, I presume, crash into the farm and then end up in Trieu's statue?  2 episodes to go!

Watchmen 1x08 A God Walks Into Abar

That was all pretty damn awesome.  The ebb and flow of this episode was fun, and I enjoyed all the timey wimey stuff.  I'm not sold on this actor's portrayal of Dr Manhattan, though, I thought Crudup did a better job in the movie. The long scene with Manhattan and Veidt was cool though, finally seeing him interacting with someone in the main cast is pretty cool.  The explanation for how he ended up on Europa was pretty neat too.  The shooting with the 7th Kavalry was pretty cool and while I don't understand why Manhattan could go out and blow up all their heads but not the device that would shoot him, I'm sure it'll all be explained next week.  Bring on the finale!

Watchmen 1x09 See How They Fly

A very satisfying ending to a very unusual but fun season of television.  While a decent amount of what happens was somewhat easy to figure out, there was enough stuff in here you couldn't see coming that made you engaged the whole time, and we got some really nice character moments to boot, too (especially between Will and Angela).  Jeremy Irons was terrific and you really leave the show wanting so much more of his story.  Lady Trieu was, I suppose, just developed enough as the big bad, and I am glad her mother/daughter Bian survived.  I enjoyed Laurie and Veidt's interaction too, and Looking Glass processing everything going on.  It was cool to see Archie at the end too, and that Nite Owl II got another shout-out.  I liked the ambiguous nature of the final sequence, too.

Overall, one of the best and most entertaining seasons of television I watched all year, and I'd basically be just as happy if it was renewed and they made another, or if this was it.  It functions as a nice sequel to the original story and all the new characters were nice additions as well.  The only bummer was no on-screen confirmation that lube man was agent Petey :p

• 1 month later...

No. It was always designed as a one-off season.

I recently watched this by the way, and thought it was great. Not what I expected, but it handled its world and characters with a lot of thought. Really enjoyed it!

There's a lot of detail in there, that I'm sure would make repeat viewings quite rewarding.

Jean Smart was fantastic in this by the way! 

• 3 weeks later...