Hans Zimmer's DUNKIRK

antovolk

Nolan loves MacGruber!? He has just gone way up in my personal opinion of him as a human being.

"MacGruber! Making life-saving inventions out of house-hold materials! MacGruber! Getting in and out of ultra-sticky situations! MacGruber! The guys' a fricken genius! MacGruber!!!!!!"

Or my personal favourite -

"MacGruber! Pepsi pepsi pepsi pepsi pepsi pepsi pepsi pepsi!" MacGruber! Pepsi pepsi pepsi pepsi pepsi pepsi pepsi! MacGruber! Get the guy a pepsi! MacGruber! PEPSI!!!

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Are we gonna have a bunch of interviews with Nolan and/or Zimmer again telling us how profound the music for this film is?

I mean I love the Interstellar score, but that got tedious really fast.

The worst part of any Nolan film release. It's going to be a long month ahead.

20 minutes ago, KK said:

Christopher Nolan Says ‘Dunkirk’ Score Started With A Recording Of His Watch, Shares His Love Of ‘MacGruber’

That's a pretty flowery preamble for being the 100th film to use the "ticking clock" gimmick...

People did the same with Marianelli's Atonement. Is it a Dunkirk tradition?

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I prefer Hans Gruber myself. 

If a MacGruber sequel isn't made with his father being revealed as Hans Gruber, then life isn't worth it anymore.

1 minute ago, Koray Savas said:

People did the same with Marianelli's Atonement. Is it a Dunkirk tradition?

That was a type- writer no?

Speaking of Atonement, I've said it before and I'll say it again; what that film did with that incredible one-shot of Dunkirk with a thousand extras used and brilliantly choreographed cannot be beaten. It's the pinnacle Dunkirk images that I've seen on-screen.

13 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Speaking of Atonement, I've said it before and I'll say it again; what that film did with that incredible one-shot of Dunkirk with a thousand extras used and brilliantly choreographed cannot be beaten. It's the pinnacle Dunkirk images that I've seen on-screen.

Yeah, it's too bad Wright's career has kind of fizzled after those early highs.

I liked them both quite a bit, but didn't think they were as great as P&P or Atonement.  I couldn't even finish Pan it was so shitty.  Never saw The Soloist.

3 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Pan looked horrendous. Didn't bother with that one. 

Ahh, i remember that abomination from a flight last year. ADHS horrors...the Duracell bunny come alive as a movie.

29 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Yes, but everyone acted like its use was the second coming of Christ. 

Forget the typewriter. The music itself is great stuff.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I liked them both quite a bit, but didn't think they were as great as P&P or Atonement.  I couldn't even finish Pan it was so shitty.  Never saw The Soloist.

I remember enjoying the Soloist. Saw it when it first came out, but not since.

17 minutes ago, antovolk said:

First clip

Is that music a joke? It seems wildly out of place...

Hannah's still my favourite Joe Wright film and score. Everything else of his that I've seen was so listlessly middlebrow and straining for some kind of significance.

27 minutes ago, antovolk said:

First clip

Looks like Hoytema is going for the 'soaked the negative in absinthe' look he gave to Insterstellar.

Fuck you all. How about waiting a couple of more weeks untill you've seen the movie?

(I'm drunk at my summer house, in case you need justification for the colourful language).

35 minutes ago, Thor said:

Fuck you all. How about waiting a couple of more weeks untill you've seen the movie?

(I'm drunk at my summer house, in case you need justification for the colourful language).

You should drink more often. 

31 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I just wasn't expecting a scene where people have a calm conversation on a boat to be scored as if the Joker was chasing Harvey Dent...

I imagine this is a quick scene that goes between two more tenser scenes.. I cant remember if this was part of the prologue in IMAX either

1 hour ago, Sharky said:

Hannah's still my favourite Joe Wright film and score. Everything else of his that I've seen was so listlessly middlebrow and straining for some kind of significance.

I hate the term "middlebrow."  I guess that means I'm middlebrow.

I think his first two films are brimming with passion and emotions, beautifully staged and acted character work.

I really liked his Karenina adaptation as well.  His staging of scenes is always fascinating.  Not sure what happened with Pan.  Just wrong.

5 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

Thats a good list actually.

Plus:

Kingdom of Heaven

The Brothers Grimm

The Nativity Story

Planet Earth by George Fenton

There Will Be Blood

Edge of Darkness by Corigliano

Jane Eyre by Marianelli

I reckon that

Inception

Interstellar

How to Train Your Dragon

Under The Skin

Memoirs of a Geisha

There Will Be Blood

would fit into a top 100 if someone reasonable were doing the ranking.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

These are GREAT scores? Like belonging to the top 100 in Hollywood/film history?

So, in order to be great, a score has to belong in the Top 100 of Hollywood/film history? Meaning that there are only 100 great film scores?

Here's 50 for a head start:

ID4
Godzilla '98
Stargate
Batman
Batman Returns
Edward Scissorhands
Jaws
Star Wars
Close Encounters
Superman
Empire Strikes Back
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Return of the Jedi
Temple of Doom
Last Crusade
Jurassic Park
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Alien
Planet of the Apes
Patton
The Omen
The Final Conflict
Poltergeist
First Blood
Rambo: First Blood Part II
Under Fire
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
Aliens
The Land Before Time
The Rocketeer
Titanic
The Mask of Zorro
The Legend of Zorro
The Living Daylights
Tomorrow Never Dies
Ben-Hur
The Big Country
Back to the Future
North by Northwest
Psycho
The Magnificent Seven
The Ghost and Mrs Muir
King Kong '33
RoboCop
Spartacus
Hellraiser
Hellbound: Hellraiser II
The Bride of Frankenstein
Rocky

Any top list of scores that doesn't include JNH's Signs, King Kong, Lady in the Water, The Village, Airbender, Maleficent, Unbreakable, Dinosaur etc is a list I wouldn't read.

There are several scores on that list that don't belong anywhere near a top 100 list.

---

Just watched the Dunkirk clip - wow, what a wildly inappropriate musical tone. I appreciate that it may be within a larger energy-building part of the film, but could Zimmer not at least try to pretend we're in the '40s?

30 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

There are several scores on that list that don't belong anywhere near a top 100 list.

---

Just watched the Dunkirk clip - wow, what a wildly inappropriate musical tone. I appreciate that it may be within a larger energy-building part of the film, but could Zimmer not at least try to pretend we're in the '40s?

You mean by having swing music and jazz?

I, for one, am very glad they're not going out of their way to capture the period, or any 'convential' style of the WW2 genre. It doesn't seem to be a period piece anyway, even if itakes place in the 40s. The focus seems to be somewhere else altogether.

Giacchino already did swashbuckling warfare anyway, and Williams has you covered for noble horns. I'm all for a synthasized soundtrack; I just think that sample cue is crap that's all.