Hans Zimmer's DUNKIRK

antovolk

18 hours ago, Romão said:

That recurring two-note motif in Dunkirk is very reminiscent of the trumpet theme in BvS. Not sure really what to call them

And Shivering Soldier sounds like something right out of James Newton Howard's Signs

I smell a possible Signs temp-track there.

I find it hard to know. In the Wiikipedia they send us to the link this interview. The ask about the soprano boy is after the photograph of JNH on keyboards. 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2005/06/13/batman-vs-hans-zimmer-and-james-newton-howard-part-2

My mobile not allow me to paste the passage. 

I couldn't imagine any of the women I've dated tolerating Interiors. Even the loose narrative of Radio Days would frustrate them and the ending to The Purple Rose of Cairo would anger them.

Blue Jasmine suffers from the fault of many of his recent films where he just can't seem to find actors that make his dialogue sound natural anymore.  Maybe it's something about the way acting styles have changed or something.  Blanchett is amazing though.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Blue Jasmine suffers from the fault of many of his recent films where he just can't seem to find actors that make his dialogue sound natural anymore.  Maybe it's something about the way acting style has changed or something.  Blanchett is amazing though.

When did that start to manifest?

1 minute ago, Sally Spectra said:

When did that start to manifest?

In my opinion, it started a little bit around the time of Mighty Aphrodite (the mid-90s) and became an actual problem around the time of Melinda and Melinda (the mid-00s).

This doesn't mean I don't think he's made worthwhile films in the last 20 years, he has, but not a single one has come near the heights of his work in the 80s to early 90s.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Blue Jasmine suffers from the fault of many of his recent films where he just can't seem to find actors that make his dialogue sound natural anymore.  Maybe it's something about the way acting styles have changed or something.

I think that's normal. I know in every woody Allen film people talk like in a woody Allen film. Same way with Sorkin, all his characters talk like Sorkin writes. It is fine. It is the writer's distinctive personality shinning through.

1 minute ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I think that's normal. I know in every woody Allen film people talk like in a woody Allen film. Same way with Sorkin, all his characters talk like Sorkin writes. It is fine. It is the writer's distinctive personality shinning through.

I agree!  I'm saying that he used to have a stable of actors that could make his writing shine and that now he can't seem to cast the right people, not that he should change his writing style.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I agree!  I'm saying that he used to have a stable of actors that could make his writing shine and that now he can't seem to cast the right people, not that he should change his writing style.

He's complained in interviews about not being able to get the actors he's wanted initially for his more recent films. They don't just drop what they're doing because it's Woody Allen calling, according to him - often it's about scheduling and astronomical actor salaries, which indirectly ties into his vocal condemnation of multi-million-dollar blockbusters and how only they can afford the stars. He said he was lucky to get Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine as she was his top choice.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Blue Jasmine suffers from the fault of many of his recent films where he just can't seem to find actors that make his dialogue sound natural anymore.  Maybe it's something about the way acting styles have changed or something.  Blanchett is amazing though.

I know what you mean, but honestly I thought Blanchett was awful. Sally Hawkins on the hand stole the film.

43 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Do movie stars collect film scores?

Some directors do but movie stars like Harrison Ford? No.

Film scores seem to be a real white, middle class male thing. The rich are too occupied with more opulent things to care, and the poor have more lowest-common denominator mainstream tastes.

1 hour ago, Sally Spectra said:

Do movie stars collect film scores?

Maybe Tom Cruise does, who knows. I mean, according to this Richard Dyer article:

"Minority Report" brought a reunion with one of Williams' favorite onscreen colleagues, Tom Cruise. "Tom is a very affable and appealing guy," he says. "From the time of 'Born on the 4th of July,' he's not only come to the recording sessions, but also shows up for the dubbing and mixing." 

I saw the film yesterday. It's a fine film, certainly among the top 10 I've seen so far this year, but it wasn't QUITE the masterpiece I had been foretold. I liked INCEPTION and INTERSTELLAR more.

The score is the pulse and sound design of the movie, and in many ways the sole bearer of engrossment (even when not much is happening). I loved the propulsive nature of it, the ticking aspect, the engine mirroring, the endless inevitability that Nolan is always good at.

Then -- all of a sudden -- it opens up with these gorgeous, Vangelis-like segments for when the private boats appear, an arrangement of Elgar, I've come to learn. There's a bit of that towards the end of the movie too.

As an album experience, I think there's some 30 minutes worth of fine listening here. Otherwise, I'm not sure it should all go on album.

You have a giant 980x560 youtube video embedded in it.  Just put a link to the video instead.

10 minutes ago, Eric_JWFAN said:

I know I'm late to the thread, but I thought the movie was disappointing and the score was Zimmer at his absolute laziest. I keep holding out hope that he'll start making some sort of effort to compose real music, but I guess he has no reason to at this point. And frankly I don't think he's even comfortable with the idea anymore. 

The direction of film music continues to go downhill, and Zimmer (and his success among the masses) is a big reason why. Yeah you kids get off my lawn.. 

Release the hounds

Just now, Jay said:

You have a giant 980x560 youtube video embedded in it.  Just put a link to the video instead.

Ha, sorry. Haven't been on in a while. I'll try to change it. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Release the hounds

Meh.  Myself and others of reasonable and sound mind have dealt with him before, I believe.  Such drive-by posts aren't worth the effort these days - I'd say the haughty pretense and dismissiveness speaks for itself.

10 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

Maybe someone can help me in this thread regarding Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises.

At the beginning of Track 4 of the Batman Begins album, a a soprano boy appears, which also shows up in The Dark Knight Rises in the finale track, "Rise".

So my question is who wrote that bit? Was it JNH or Zimmer? Because if it was JNH, I didn't see him credited for it in TDKR.

Considering its derivation from the longer, very Zimmerish tune heard here, as an example,

I'd say it's Zimmer.

6 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I smell a possible Signs temp-track there.

Nolan doesn't temp his movies.

That track actually reminded me of this, on first listen.

3 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Meh.  Myself and others of reasonable and sound mind have dealt with him before, I believe.  Such drive-by posts aren't worth the effort these days.

Aw

Capture.PNG