So Close Encounters of the Third Kind 40th Anniversary is this year, think we will get it complete this year?

RICHARDSTRAUSS68

So on November 16 Close Encounters will be 40 years old, do you guys think we will get it complete? I have the Original Vinyl Pressing, The Expanded edition from 97 I believe, I also got the SACD from 2015. If anything this is a job for La La Land or Intrada. Do you guys think it's time for the complete release? Does anybody have any news on it maybe coming out? Anything?  

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

If not this year, then we'll get it next year. That as well as E.T..

I hope it will be soon. I love the film and soundtrack.

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

To own a complete CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND would be my dearest JW dream, but I somehow doubt that it will ever happen.

Still, it's a mouthwatering prospect, and one I'll always look out for.

Same here. I wish they would get on it. 

Isn't this a Sony score?

13 minutes ago, Richard said:

To own a complete CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND would be my dearest JW dream, but I somehow doubt that it will ever happen.

Sure, a major JW score in complete form: never gonna happen... :rolleyes:

I think we are getting some kind of special John Williams releases later this year because Mike Matessino hinted at it in April I think during the Jurassic Park interview?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Mattessino made it clear that new Star Wars score releases ain't happening any time in the immediate future.

Oh, yes? i didn't know that.

Did he say the reason?

5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Well, it's the Star Wars anniversary year too.

I knew it was Star Wars and figured it would all be at some point. I was working on a project and got to talk to a person that works at Lucasfilm and she told me that all the tapes from the sessions had be remastered and digitized. I don't know if she was telling the truth but if so maybe someone is planning something soon?

1 hour ago, dillweed97 said:

I knew it was Star Wars and figured it would all be at some point. I was working on a project and got to talk to a person that works at Lucasfilm and she told me that all the tapes from the sessions had be remastered and digitized. I don't know if she was telling the truth but if so maybe someone is planning something soon?

Doesn't mean much.  They reuse these for many different reasons such as concerts, other films like lego star wars, games, archival purposes, etc. At least it means these aren't slowly degrading in a basement somewhere. 

7 hours ago, dillweed97 said:

Truth be told, we will not be getting any new expansions this year but with the Live Concert recordings for the Original Trilogy coming up, Disney will be doing something from their catalogue as a commemorative tribute to John Williams music. Think Vinyl!

As for CE3K. Im optimistic that we may get it this year. Looking hopefully at LLL at the end of this year. Matessino had informed us to start saving.

1 hour ago, azahid said:

Truth be told, we will not be getting any new expansions this year but with the Live Concert recordings for the Original Trilogy coming up, Disney will be doing something from their catalogue as a commemorative tribute to John Williams music. Think Vinyl!

As for CE3K. Im optimistic that we may get it this year. Looking hopefully at LLL at the end of this year. Matessino had informed us to start saving.

Nice! I am starting to get tired of Star Wars re issues though maybe if we got a good sounding ROTJ.

I hope it is CLose Encounters he is talking about, I was listening to the SACD today and was thinking about it again haha.

1 hour ago, dillweed97 said:

Nice! I am starting to get tired of Star Wars re issues though maybe if we got a good sounding ROTJ.

I hope it is CLose Encounters he is talking about, I was listening to the SACD today and was thinking about it again haha.

They've been reissued to death but technically it's been two decades since we've had a newly minted release of the OT scores (sourced from the session masters, which are seemingly uncatalogued and missing in the salt mines).

The scores would be a revelation with modern scans. Even the vinyl remasters were a revelation and they aren't even first generation masters of the score.

20 hours ago, Richard said:

Still, it's a mouthwatering prospect, and one I'll always look out for.

But we have that since 1998, no?

17 minutes ago, publicist said:

But we have that since 1998, no?

Just expanded, I hope we get a complete one soon because I have been wishing for this one for a while. Get a complete one with lots of extras and some alternates. I went as far as to also but a didgital version on iTunes because I feared I would play the CD so much it would break haha.

Just now, azahid said:

I would be interested in a definitive release with the OST program on disc 2 and all the extras and original film takes. Only Matessino could do proper justice.

Exactly!

But as far as these things go, pretty much all important stuff was on the Arista, right? The LP was not a re-recording, i don't know about any alternates (except what was on the Arista) and the sound is really good. But i'm in for that precious completely different version of the finale, of course.

Depends on what you mean by "important". I myself consider Eleven Commandments and the "car horn" cue to be important ;)

That being said, the Arista CD is one of the better 90s expansions, as the team really did try to include as much as they could under the 80-minute time limit

We could get a lot this year. The most probable I guess would be:

1. E.T. / Close Encounter of the Third Kind / The Witches of Eastwick
  2. Born on the Fourth of July / Amistad / Minority Report / War of the Worlds
  3. Harry Potter

JFK has already been announced and Star Wars as well as Indiana Jones can be excluded. Dracula must be re-recorded and Nixon is up to Disney, so it can take a while.

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

3. Harry Potter

JFK has already been announced and Star Wars as well as Indiana Jones can be excluded. Dracula must be re-recorded and Nixon is up to Disney, so it can take a while.

I hope we get those.

Despite the announcement for JFK for 2017 its possible that it will move onto 2018. Too much Williams traffic in the last qtr of 2017.😄

1 hour ago, azahid said:

Despite the announcement for JFK for 2017 its possible that it will move onto 2018. Too much Williams traffic in the last qtr of 2017.😄

It feels like that release has been ready and waiting for years now. Any idea what the big hold up is Aza?

15 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

3. Harry Potter

Only interested in BOTFJ and 'Nixon' (the rest has been released to death or is available in already overlong OST's). He might have recorded quite a lot of stuff for 'Nixon' that never made it either on the record or into the movie.

I'm sure every label and their pet cat are climbing over each other to get the licence for Azkaban; seems a little weird it's taking so long (even though we're all used to lonnnng waits for JW expansions). I just assumed with LLL & WB's solid relationship, this would be a no-brainer. Perfect tie-in for the LTP performances and cheaper to licence than LA-recorded scores (where the union fees decrease in % every 5 years or something).

As for non-Potter expansions, Williams dropped that hint about revisiting Amistad recently. With 40 minutes unreleased (and who knows how many alternates?) that seems ripe for a 20th Anniversary expansion.

38 minutes ago, crumbs said:

As for non-Potter expansions, Williams dropped that hint about revisiting Amistad recently. With 40 minutes unreleased (and who knows how many alternates?) that seems ripe for a 20th Anniversary expansion.

Really?! This would be fu...ing awesome!!! The 90s' scores of John Williams are well treated unlike his 80s' scores.

20 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I'm sure LLL already has the licence. Now it's probably just a matter of artwork approval and all that crap that can delay a release.

Possibly. I doubt they'd use the film posters as album artwork because the OSTs already used those. If it's original art featuring the cast, it might require approval from Radcliffe, Grint and Watson.

Likewise I can't imagine anyone getting the licence except LLL with Matessino producing, so I'm not worried... just impatient! :P

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, this year marks the 20th anniversary of the release of the first book, so... you never know! ;)

Per today's New York Times Crossword Puzzle, today is the 20th Anniversary of the book's release.  Don't know if the US and UK had same release date.  Was pleased that the NYT used the UK title: Philosopher's Stone.

Star Wars - per a source (MM, if I recall correctly), is all about the new Star Wars movie this year.  So, no new releases from the vault.  Considering the commentary concerning the sound quality of the two-disc OT sets, a major amount of work will be needed to properly present the OT.  And the PT might need some work to restore what JW composed, rather than the mashed up mess we got in the films (do the notes exist stating which sections of which take to use for the final product?).

Close Encounters might be a bigger project than we might imagine-- how many versions exists of the aleatory passages?

Remember - JW pays close attention to the expanded/reissue versions of his works and has a voice is what gets done when.   

Also, this September is when the "19 Years Later" Epilogue takes place. This will be the perfect year to release all the complete JW HP scores, or at least to start with the first one.

23 hours ago, crumbs said:

It feels like that release has been ready and waiting for years now. Any idea what the big hold up is Aza?

Obviously they have a bigger fish to fry. JFK is a license nightmare but they are hoping to clear it but still no guarantees if they will be able to get it out in 2017.

"JFK was a friend, I knew him. Everyone knows John Williams music, everyone. Who doesn't know him, I know him. It's a tragedy the score isn't released, a real shame. The fact that it hasn't been released is sad. Sad!". - potus

13 hours ago, Jay said:

The old scores were re-digitized back in 2005 for the ROTS OST bonus DVD mixes.  These better sounding versions been appearing in LucasArts video games ever since... well, until the Mouse House shut down LucasArts.  Sony didn't have access to them which is why they just kept repackaging and reselling what they had.  

Yes, it's quite logical that the studio/company that owns the music is doing everything to protect their own assets. There were several apocryphal horror stories about Lucasfilm letting rot reels and tapes in their own archives, but I'm sure all the music for all the films they made is safely stored in pristine hi-res digital files.