Dissapointing AOTC box-office results - $232m after 3 weeks

Pelzter

It appears, that AOTC only managed to bring in $20,6m in its 3rd weekend, bringing its three week total gross to a 'mere' $232m, compaired to $255m for TPM and an astonishing $285m for Spiderman. This means a drop from last weekend's $61m to $20,6m. At this rate, AOTC will have to fight to make the $350m mark, in my opinion

There are alot of studios who wish their movie would gross $232 million after 3 weeks. There is nothing wrong with AOTC gross. Sequels don't generally gross as much as the first film, although there are a few exceptions. It should hit around 300 million which is what most people predicted anyhow. Plus this is the most competative summer a Star Wars movie has faced.

Well, I find it hard to call a film that will gross over $300 Million a disappointment, but perhaps this will bring a new perspective to the numbers:

Traditionally, sequels gross around 60% of what the previous installment in the series did, so if we consider AotC a sequel to TPM, its current $232 million is 90% of TPM’s comparative take within the same period, so its final outlook is likely to be above the industry’s standard. Also, keep in mind the following influencing factors:

1. TPM capitalized on a 16-year wait from fans, just as Spiderman has benefited from a long-overdue film treatment.

2. TPM had no other major competition (The Matrix never did Spiderman numbers). AotC has had to contend not only with Spidey, but now with a major Ben Affleck movie.

3. AotC has also had to address this whole TPM “negative response” nonsense; and as TPM proved, it’s an almost impossible task to overcome the public’s preconception about a movie.

All in all, I think AotC is doing very, very well.

AOTC's gross is being hurt by the pirating of the sampler DVDs.

I'm getting one myself, but I am also taking my family to see it at the theatre AND getting the real DVD when it comes out too.

-Chris

I'll say it again,AotC has less universal appeal than The Phantom Menace,and it's gross will drop far more quickly.Apart from critics and hardcore SW film fans,in the real world,there was no real negative responce to TPM,but there is with AotC.

k.m.

I don't know if any of you know that Titanic was not a huge opener, in fact it opened to only $19 million. It really never increased from that margin, but what it had was, LONGEVITY.

So, it may be that movies live and die on opening weekend, but the greatest champion of them all, TITANIC, was as slow as a turtle. But the result was 1.9 billion, compared to only 980 million or so to the next closest box office hit. Very big difference.

I do feel that, due to the disappointments TPM produced, it slowed down immediate demand for AOTC and Episode III. I've known people who can wait to see it. Ultimately, those who can wait will see it, but there is no longer a sense of urgency.

But, with DVD and merchandising, there is no way that Lucas will not make a handsome profit on this trilogy.

What the heck, he should make Episode 7-9 and have Lord of the Rings, director, Peter Jackson to direct them. After all, he and Lucas and good friends.

AOTC's gross is being hurt by the pirating of the sampler DVDs

Same for Spiderman, how did it do so well? Infact, even more so, the bootlegs of it are of much better quality.

I do feel that, due to the disappointments TPM produced, it slowed down immediate demand for AOTC and Episode III. I've known people who can wait to see it. Ultimately, those who can wait will see it, but there is no longer a sense of urgency.

I agree.

I don't know if any of you know that Titanic was not a huge opener, in fact it opened to only $19 million. It really never increased from that margin, but what it had was, LONGEVITY.

What is your source for that? I remember it opening up against Tomorrow Never Dies on December 19, 1997 and earning $28 million for the weekend, $19 million. It doesn't really matter though.

Neil

$600.779m (USA) (20 September 1998)

$600.743m (USA) (13 September 1998)

$600.374m (USA) (30 August 1998)

$599.657m (USA) (23 August 1998)

$598.614m (USA) (16 August 1998)

$597.285m (USA) (9 August 1998)

$595.467m (USA) (2 August 1998)

$593.234m (USA) (26 July 1998)

$590.489m (USA) (19 July 1998)

$588.931m (USA) (12 July 1998)

$588.205m (USA) (5 July 1998)

$587.071m (USA) (28 June 1998)

$585.544m (USA) (21 June 1998)

$583.885m (USA) (14 June 1998)

$581.889m (USA) (7 June 1998)

$579.419m (USA) (31 May 1998)

$577.06m (USA) (25 May 1998)

$572.713m (USA) (17 May 1998)

$569.82m (USA) (10 May 1998)

$565.736m (USA) (3 May 1998)

$560.615m (USA) (26 April 1998)

$554.067m (USA) (19 April 1998)

$542.853m (USA) (12 April 1998)

$530.406m (USA) (5 April 1998)

$515.262m (USA) (29 March 1998)

$494.514m (USA) (22 March 1998)

$471.446m (USA) (15 March 1998)

$449.157m (USA) (8 March 1998)

$426.983m (USA) (1 March 1998)

$402.561m (USA) (22 February 1998)

$376.27m (USA) (15 February 1998)

$337.355m (USA) (8 February 1998)

$308.1m (USA) (1 February 1998)

$274.599m (USA) (25 January 1998)

$242.748m (USA) (19 January 1998)

$197.881m (USA) (11 January 1998)

$157.467m (USA) (4 January 1998)

$88.425m (USA) (28 December 1997)

$28.638m (USA) (21 December 1997)

That info is according to imdb.com. Thought you ought to know.

~Harry

I just cannot fathom how a film that has done THIS much in such a short amount of time could be considered a disappointment. That shows just how jaded and screwed up our mindsets are.

Yeah, it's not gonna do as well as TPM. But you know what? Big deal. Lucas will be fine. This movie has well overgone it's budget, it's making a hell of a lot of profit and it will continue to do so. As others have said, TPM had the advantage of a 16 year build up of anticipation and a blitzkrieg assault on the media which resulted in a huge generation of curiosity in the general public. AOTC didn't have that, hence the lack of booming box office numbers.

It's just unfortunate that it's being called a disappointed just because it ain't doing as much as TPM. But that's Hollywood for you.....

I agree, that for any other movie, $232m in 3 weeks is absolutly phenomenal - but not for a Star Wars movie. Still, AOTC still has, by far, the biggest opening weekend ever for any SW-movie, $80m, compared to $64m for TPM (and roughly $1m for the original back in '77!)

I did some research on the gross of Harry Potter (total gross: $317m), and by its third week, it had mad $219m (slighly less than AOTC), grossing $90m and $57m and $23m in its first three weekends. These figures all resemble the AOTC figures quite a lot, and so I think we can expect the final gross of AOTC to be around $315-330m.

I would like to have 232 million, I would not be disappointed.

It's to bad that the better of the 2 films has the worse box office record. But what the heck that's hollywood for you. :(

Justin -Expectiong someone to disagree with his previous statement very soon. :roll: :jump:

I agree with Justin, but I think the difference is Spiderman in new and fresh and Attack of the Clones isn't.

but as much as I like both, they still fail the story over effects problem.

Despite all this, AOTC still has, to my knowledge, the 3rd highest 3-week gross ever, behind TPM and Spiderman. Hey, it even beat the two biggest of 2001, Harry Potter ($219m) and LOTR ($205m).

I read Spiderman was aired in 300 or so new cinemas in USA last week, to make SWII competition. They said that then, as more people has seen it (and without having to wait), it will not last very much more.

Anyways AOC will be the first movie i see twice in the cinema.

I'll poit out again that once you saw Spiderman once,you catch pretty much everyting that's on screen.My second viewing was boring.AotC,on the other hand is a repeat viewing movie because of the details.Heck,I want to see it a 4th time just to see those Corellian ships on the Naboo landing platforms when I was looking for them in Mos Eisley,or contemplate those amazing scenery views of Coruscant,the hell with the love story,just go get your soda refills when they pop up.

K.M.

Well, people probably relate to spiderman. He's an everyday guy, kinda nerdy geeky, and yet he can do incredible things....

As for AOTC, going digital is making piracy easier, since it's a perfect transfer, it's easy to make a good quality bootleg.

If digital is the future...pirates might have an easier job....

Hey KM!

Have you been looking for cameos too?

I've seen it twice and i'm still looking. I've read that Jett, his son is a youngling. and his daughter Katie is in the bar somewhere.

Yes, and i think I did see Lucas at the Senate hearing, right before Mace says "it is done", and after Palpatine gives his clone approval. He's on the bottom right...i think.

Also, I heard that 3 N'Syncers was in the film as either Naboo people or Jedi. I have yet to find them.

I would like to see AOTC again, as a THX showing or Digital...or maybe both.

Her's another stupid useless trivia:

do you remeber the waterfall at Naboo's palace in EpI. It's not really water. It was falling salt....NaCl!!!

As for AOTC, going digital is making piracy easier, since it's a perfect transfer, it's easy to make a good quality bootleg.  

Maybe a little easier. They still have to get access to the digital version the cinema has. Most pirating today is simply done with a video camera in the cinema, which results in quite poor quality.

I've read that Jett, his son is a youngling. and his daughter Katie is in the bar somewhere.

Yes, and i think I did see Lucas at the Senate hearing, right before Mace says "it is done", and after Palpatine gives his clone approval. He's on the bottom right...i think.

Also, I heard that 3 N'Syncers was in the film as either Naboo people or Jedi. I have yet to find them.

OK I hope I am not spoiling your fun but here goes:

-Jett is a youngling but NOT in the Yoda and the Younglings scene. He is in the library scene with Obi-Wan and Jocasta Nu, the Jedi librarian.

-Katie is also in the film during the Coruscant night club scenes. She is the purplish coloured Twilek. Also look for Ahmed Best and Anthony Daniels out of makeup in those shots.

-I also spotted Lucas in that exact spot of the Senate scenes.

-The N'Sync boys are no where in the film. This has been confirmed officially by Lucas himself.

Maybe a little easier. They still have to get access to the digital version the cinema has. Most pirating today is simply done with a video camera in the cinema, which results in quite poor quality.

most bootleg AOTC DVD's are what Morn discribed not the nice digital transfer. There is an article in EW about it.

Well, as many people (like me and my friends)hated or disliked TPM, it`s not very strange that AOTC didn`t bring in $ 300 million in the first three weeks. It is mostly so - if people disliked the first film (and are not SW fans), they´ll usually not go back to see the second film. But $ 232 million isn`t bad either - it has at least covered it`s budget by far.

Compare that to Final Fantasy last year - the cost of making the movie was about $ 145 million, and it only brought back $ 79 million!

That`s a real flop!

In fact, that is what I was afraid should happen to AOTC!

8O

I predict, that AOTC will make $14m next weekend, and roughly $25m for the entire week, bringing its four week gross to $257m, compared to $296m for TPM.

if people disliked the first film (and are not SW fans), they´ll usually not go back to see the second  

8O

TPM movie grossed 450 million domestically,and was in the top spots of the B.O charts for a long run.The thing it's the contrary to what you say,most SW fans(but not me) disliked The Phantom menace,but not the general public and kids introduced to SW.and the kids LOVED Jar Jar too.

K.M.

I'll say it again,AotC has less universal appeal than The Phantom Menace,and it's gross will drop far more quickly.Apart from critics and hardcore SW film fans,in the real world,there was no real negative responce to TPM,but there is with AotC.

k.m.

OK dude but I am sorry. If you think there was no real negative response to TPM you must be in denial. The film was panned by VIRTUALLY everyone and is easily the most hated SW film of all.

As for AOTC the film doesn't have a negative response. Its just that no one really cares about the film. SW has become "old news" in many ways.

OH and yes that number IS a dissapointment by SW standards. not that I really care though. Lucas doesn't deserve more money.