JAWS Expanded 2xLP VINYL set coming in Oct!

Amer

Guys this is just starting..lol. I'll bet we will have more Williams 2XLP sets then new Williams cds this year!

What's so terrible about LPs? I have a few classical ones that I just don't throw away purely for nostalgic puroses. I'll probably play LPs before taking CDs off the shelves again. Putting the needle on the right spot, cleaning the vinyl, the little clicks and pops everywhere... CDs are superfluous these days, I think.

I want expansions and no LPs!

3 hours ago, azahid said:

Guys this is just starting..lol. I'll bet we will have more Williams 2XLP sets then new Williams cds this year!

This year so far had more LP releases than every full year before: Alien, Star Trekk: TMP, Raiders, now Jaws...

There is absolutely no fun hearing the beginning of a track on the previous grooves, before the track actually begins. It's horrible. You love LPs because you don't know them... Because you didn't play with them enough to see their limitations. You didn't scratch them, you didn't used them till the music faded under the sound of the hiss.

This was a so imperfect medium, we are not here anymore!

I played LPs from 1970 to 1995, when my last record player got broken, so I'm aware of their limitations and I was very happy to replace them with CDs three decades ago. But I still think that LPs are vastly superior to CDs as physical collector items. Needless to say I listen to digital files nowadays, not CDs... we are not there anymore! ;)

LPs still have better sound than CDs, despite that crackle. They sound lusher. It's like the difference between an analog and a digital synthesizer. It's still worth spending the quad amount of money for an analog one.

Another useless vinyl release

On 7/3/2017 at 9:18 PM, Brundlefly said:

LPs still have better sound than CDs, despite that crackle. They sound lusher. It's like the difference between an analog and a digital synthesizer. It's still worth spending the quad amount of money for an analog one.

no they don't

On 7/4/2017 at 12:39 AM, Chewy said:

LP might sound better to you but the sound you are hearing isn't the exact original recording sound. Nothing can really beat digital recordings.

It's not the digital recording that lacks quality, it's the CD that does not give out lower frequencies which a LP is able to give out.

Ridiculous... inner and outer grooves of a vinyl don't even reproduce the exact same frequencies!

Put your money on an Hifi soundsystem instead than on a LP collection.

You love distortion?  Buy a tube amp! ;-)

I remember hunting for the Poltergeist LP back in the days because it was the only way to listen to the score. I never found it

I hate LPs. They warp in a hot car and I have not found a turntable that stays put on my dashboard. Every time I hit a bump, I need to pull over to reset the needle. Rear ended a guy last week just trying to flip over my Temple of Doom record. The judge was a prick and seized my license. I'm probably going to lose my job, my apartment, and my health insurance. This vinyl craze has to stop. 

12 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

It's not the digital recording that lacks quality, it's the CD that does not give out lower frequencies which a LP is able to give out.

CD contains everything from ~0Hz to 22kHz. I think these lower frequencies are just noise you can hear with your LP (might also be caused by your turntable who knows)

I did a bit research on that issue and it is indeed true that the reason for the"warmer" sound of LPs is distortion in the lower frequencies and the lack of the higher frequencies. You won Chewy!

Besides LPs just reach 40 dB whereas CDs reach casually 90 dB. Technically it is true that digital media have (unlike analog media) a limited range of frequencies which is 20 Hz to 20 kHz, but this is the only audible frequencies. CDs can give out all frequencies on the same volume level, LPs cannot.

To sum it up those rumors that LPs still have a better sound than CDs are just rumors, originated in the early years of the CD. Thus I am really relieved that I already have the medium with the superior sound quality.

LPs have distorion that some people are nostalgic about,  some people love that sound and it's okay... but the sound of the artist in studio and the sound that can be found on his recordings on a vinyl have -- nothing -- in common. It's two things.

And I was not joking, invest in a tube amp, you will rediscover the warm sound of the vynil era. You find that your CD lacks of base, buy an equalizer.

I played with vinyls a lot, trust me I putted my fingers on it for many years...I still love it, but for me it's an object that belongs to past.

:-)

On 7/3/2017 at 5:54 PM, Disco Stu said:

It's an LP release of an existing expansion and it's not like it takes away from any ongoing projects.

Disc Stu speaks wisdom once again

Adding f*** LP re-releases take me a lot of time when I try to keep my websites up to date!!! I hate them!!!

For many years now I maintain several discographies on the web and for several artists.... The LP re-releases... I really didn't saw it coming... And it's awefull.

I think most of the Live Concert events are some how getting the LP attention. With JAWS being a recent new addition as well as RAIDERS. Perhaps JURASSIC PARK may also get a similar expanded LP presentation but would that entail 3xLP set or would it all encompass 2xLP? Also HOME ALONE a prime contender for Xmas!

And of course  the upcoming STAR WARS Concerts which have some New LP presentations perhaps using the RCA Expanded configurations or just plain new reissues of the Sony set? 

I think Disney is issuing new LPs of the orignal OST programs.  I think the 1997 SE programs are kinda dead until they hire MM to make proper sets someday

Yes but I think they will still use MM in some capacity for the liner notes or just a plain new essay as he did for the new JAWS LP set.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2017-07-05 at 4:39 PM, Bespin said:

Adding f*** LP re-releases take me a lot of time when I try to keep my websites up to date!!! I hate them!!!

For many years now I maintain several discographies on the web and for several artists.... The LP re-releases... I really didn't saw it coming... And it's awefull.

Haha, sorry @Bespin but this is hilarious. But thank you, also, you put a smile on my face!

On 7/3/2017 at 5:08 PM, Bespin said:

There is absolutely no fun hearing the beginning of a track on the previous grooves, before the track actually begins. It's horrible. You love LPs because you don't know them... Because you didn't play with them enough to see their limitations. You didn't scratch them, you didn't used them till the music faded under the sound of the hiss.

This was a so imperfect medium, we are not here anymore!

It is the best sounding medium