Minority Report - in film order

jamesluckard

I've been working for a while on making my own 2 CD set of the music from Minority Reoprt, in film order. Sadly I haven't heard of an expanded promo version, like for AI, so the score remains incomplete, but here it is, using the commercial Score album.

All the track names in italics are the album names

DISC ONE

1) PREVISIONS: 0:00 ? 1:03 OF CAN YOU SEE

2) PRE-CRIME TO THE RESCUE: WHOLE TRACK

3) SYMPHONY N° 6 IN B MINOR, ?PATHETIQUE,?

OP. 74; 2ND MOVEMENT - FIRST 2:31

PIOTR ILYICH TCHAIKOVSKI

CLAUDIO ABBADO, VIENNA PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA

-----You could put 2:41 to 3:30 of Sean and Lara here -- it's the music that plays over the hologram of Lara, but since it appears elsewhere as well, I left it off.

4) CAN YOU SEE?: 2:18 ? END OF EVERYBODY RUNS!

5) A WOMAN NAMED ANNE LIVELY: 1:14 ? 2:26 OF VISIONS OF

ANNE LIVELY

6) SYMPHONY N° 8 IN B MINOR, ?UNFINISHED,?

D 759; 1ST MOVEMENT - FIRST 4:19

FRANZ SCHUBERT

CARLOS KLEIBER, VIENNA PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA

7) TWO MINUTES: 3:54 ? 4:48 OF EYE-DENTISCAN

8) EVERYBODY RUNS! : 0:00 ? 2:18 OF THIS TRACK

9) ANDERTON?S GREAT ESCAPE: WHOLE TRACK

10) THE GREENHOUSE EFFECT: WHOLE TRACK

11) DR. EDDIE AND MISS VAN EYCH: WHOLE TRACK

12) SEAN: WHOLE TRACK SEAN AND LARA

13) SPYDERS: WHOLE TRACK

DISC TWO

1) EYE-DENTISCAN/TAKING AGATHA; 0:00 ? 3:19 OF EYE-DENTISCAN

2) SOLITUDE (3:09)

BILLIE HOLIDAY

3) VISIONS OF ANNE LIVELY: 2:26 ? END OF THIS TRACK

4) MOON RIVER (4:09)

HENRY MANCINI AND HIS ORCHESTRA

6) THE MAN IN THE WINDOW: 3:20 ? 3:54 OF EYE-DENTISCAN

7) LEO CROW? THE CONFRONTATION: WHOLE TRACK

8) ?SEAN? BY AGATHA: WHOLE TRACK

9) RUN!: 1:03 ? END OF CAN YOU SEE?

10) PSYCHIC TRUTH AND FINALE: WHOLE TRACK

11) A NEW BEGINNING: WHOLE TRACK

12) SEAN?S THEME: WHOLE TRACK

13) MINORITY REPORT: WHOLE TRACK

Just to confuse everybody, the album track called "Can You See?" does not actually include the music from that scene, which is on the track '"Everybody Runs!" In addition, the first 1:14 of "Visions of Anne Lively" do not appear in the film, so I left that off.

As for the non Williams music, this all started because the shopping mall scene with "Moon River" was my favorite scene in cinema last year -- I thought the music was a brilliant choice. I wanted to add this piece onto a CD of the score, but realized it was not the usual version with lyrics. I called Twentieth Century-Fox's music department and they checked their records, it's actually a combination. The first half is from the score to the opening scene of the film. This music is unreleased, but I ripped it off my DVD. Then, right before the voices would come in there, it changes to a piano version played by Mancini himself from an album of his. I've included links to that album, as well as the two classical albums with the actual film versions of those pieces. As for Solitude, which plays in The Gap, I had an mp3 of it which was the right version, but I don't know which album this version is on, as Billie Holiday recorded it quite a few times.

LINKS:

TCHAIKOVSKY

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...7321255-7803130

STRAUSS

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ssical&n=507846

MANCINI

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=music

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet. What did you find out about the other source music? (i.e. The Guinness commercial, the Pre-Crime commercial)

It's movies like this that give classical music (as opposed to normal film scores) a good name. If I had heard Schubert's Unfinished before MR, it would've put me to sleep. But when I listen to it in the context of the scene where Anderton sees himself in the prevision, then it's one of the best classical pieces ever. I suppose 2001 did that for the Gayane adagio by Khachaturian (original is way better than Horner's interpretations) and Blue Danube.

The rest of the source music never really interested me, so I didn't ask about it.

That said, the end credits do say "Pine and Oats" was written by Guy Moon & Bob Kurtz, while "The Ad-Mall" and "The Neuroplex" were written, produced and performed by Paul Haslinger. "The Ad-Mall" would include the Guinness commercial, as well as the Lexus one, etc.

There's no "Courtesy of such and such record company" afterwards, so these must have been written just for the film, and probably never released otherwise

I also left off "Bad Boys" by Inner Circle, since it's just a quick musical gag and not really related to the film like the other songs.

Beyond these, there's also the Haydn minuet playing as Anderton enters the greenhouse. Again, the credits say this was performed by The Angeles String Quartet just for the film. Then there's the Swedish folk song Miss Van Eych sings, "Sma Grodorna." Last, there's "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" played by Gideon on the organ. All unreleased.

I think that covers all the source music in the film.

James

Good work on this James. I too was upset that "Can You See?" is mislabled, but since I know what it actually covers, I don't worry about it.

Hey, Luck...you have "Pre-Crime to the Rescue" listed at Track 2, ahead of Schubert's 8th. Is that because the Pre-Crime theme plays as Anderton's walking into Pre-Crime, right after the Marks prevision comes up? If so, then that cue isn't from "Pre-Crime to the Rescue", but is an unreleased cue. Anyway, Schubert's 8th should probably be made Track 2, since it's the "scrubbing theme" and Anderton scrubs the image some before he runs out of the office and Jad calls him back in (which is where "Pre-Crime" begins). Another thing to try would be to add a layer of 1:01-1:02 of "Can You See" over 3:26 of "Pre-Crime to the Rescue".

Actually, putting the Schubert at 6 was just a judgment choice. You could put a small portion of it at 2 if you wanted. However, the track on the album is a bit different from how it sounds on screen. The gentle, swaying, waltz-like bit that is heard as Anderton "scrubs" the images is only a brief phrase in the music, they just looped it endlessly for that scene.

The majority of the music in the four minute bit they used is the furiously rising music used as Anderton realizes he's the one in the prevision -- indeed the track even starts out with this music. It seemed wrong to put this so early, so I put it where the second "scrubbing" scene goes.

If you wanted, you could copy just the waltz-like bit and put it where it belongs, before Pre-Crime To The Rescue, but you'd only have about 44 seconds of music, and it'd be an abrupt edit, since the music never stops as it moves from one theme to another.

Hope this clarifies,

James