Alan Silvestri's READY PLAYER ONE (2018)

crocodile

29 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Clear confirmation Williams is meddling on the project, Stepmom style.  I can already picture him looming over Alan's shoulder as he writes, constantly interrupting with suggestions.

JW: "You know, if I was writing this score, I really wouldn't use B major there... a C flat would make much more sense. But... that's just my opinion."

*continues lurking over his shoulder*

Mendon.jpg

I know it won't happen for innumerable reasons, but it would be nice if Williams ghost-wrote a few cues for this score (given it's a celebration of retro films, despite Spielberg's refusal to reference his own material).

21 hours ago, Tom said:

This picture proves that if you work hard, eat right, exercise regularly, and by all means avoid manual labor at all costs, you will be live a long, productive life.  

I will not deny that by looking at this photo and visiting Silvestri's Instagram (which I did not know existed) I thought the same thing. He looks healthy. All them. 

Still bummed that Williams isn't doing this but I guess it was really was a schedule issue.  I was thinking the score would be recorded in 2018 given the late March release.

4 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

Still bummed that Williams isn't doing this but I guess it was really was a schedule issue.  I was thinking the score would be recorded in 2018 given the late March release.

Similar thing happened with Bridge of Spies. Williams could probably have written that score after finishing TFA, but for whatever reason the score had to be wrapped during that period around April-May (despite the December release date). 

It might be a contractual thing about the length of a movie's post-production, where you can't have the entire post production team waiting around for months on end simply for the score to be recorded (when everything else is finished). Clearly the schedule takes precedence even over Williams doing the score, which seems surprising but is probably the reality of the business (time is money!)

19 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Similar thing happened with Bridge of Spies. Williams could probably have written that score after finishing TFA, but for whatever reason the score had to be wrapped during that period around April-May (despite the December release date). 

Incorrect. Williams was scheduled to score BOS in between sessions for TFA. But his health problems prevented it. 

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Incorrect. Williams was scheduled to score BOS in between sessions for TFA. But his health problems prevented it. 

Yes, I'm aware of that. My point is that despite being bedridden for the planned scoring dates, they could've rescheduled later in the year but instead chose to finish the film immediately with another composer. I don't think TFA's sessions were supposed to go as late as they did; that was a result of JJ's constant revisions.

RPO isn't out for 4 months but Spielberg's chosen to score the film now rather than wait for Williams to write the score and record next February. Presumably the film required some heavy spotting and Williams wasn't able to/decided not to spend his time post-TLJ (June onwards) working on RPO, instead focusing on concerts and taking a writing break before doing The Post.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

It might be a contractual thing about the length of a movie's post-production, where you can't have the entire post production team waiting around for months on end simply for the score to be recorded (when everything else is finished). Clearly the schedule takes precedence even over Williams doing the score, which seems surprising but is probably the reality of the business (time is money!)

Bridge of Spies was released in October

• 2 months later...

Of course it is!

Wonder if one disc has the film score and the other features songs from the movie or something? Seems surprising that a score like this would get 2 discs, but you could say that for a lot of other scores nowadays (sadly not from Williams).

I don't even know if I want to give this putz another shot.

He hasn't composed anything that hasn't put me to sleep since, what, 2001? A perfect choice for old Spielberg.

I didn't think Spielberg was really referencing his own movies, but there's a shot of the Jurassic Park T-Rex (using the same shitty CGI model from Jurassic World) chasing the Delorean in a city street. 

Why, oh why, can't CGI look as good as is it did 20 years ago? And why can't ILM just scan the original Stan Winston maquettes to get accurate models of the dinosaurs?

I think modern CGI has something to do with not having to prove anything. 20 years ago when JP was a revolution, the CGI had to be 'perfect' because that was what drew audiences - it was new. Now CGI is everywhere, I think it doesn't really matter to the success of the film if it's a bit rough around the edges here and there..

(not my theory BTW, I read it somewhere, just don't remember where)

The CGI in JP wasn't very good - look at the first shot of Brachiosaurus in the field, etc.  Where JP succeeded is that they used as much animatronic as they reasonably could, so it helped sell the whole illusion.

Rexy already looks way better in the Fallen Kingdom trailers, but I thought the CGI in World was still a natural improvement over the original's CGI shots. 

The problem is that animatronics are mainly used for close-ups or partial body shots, while almost every shot of a dinosaur in JW is a full-body one. I get the impression they've wised up to that since and are finding more ways to include the animatronics more extensively.

4 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

The CG in TLW is flawless.

And that was built on 1996-97 technology. 21 years later, we get the atrocious-looking Steppenwolf in JL. What gives?