Alan Silvestri's READY PLAYER ONE (2018)

crocodile

8 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

You're comparing 90's Spielbergian effort to modern superhero movies? ;)

Besides, dinosaurs even at their worst are more fun than the best superheroes.

https://youtu.be/_dDGbFXsF1Y

You know, I never saw that one. But I’d say that even from the trailer it sits miles ahead of any Zack Snyder/DC effort. 

TLJ is a film that proves that the right balance between CGI and practical effects leads to perfect results. RPO has the right to look artificial, I think, because they are indeed playing games in a virtual reality. Other than that JP and TLW looked so good, as Spielberg knew how to use CGI sparsely. What we see would not be a huge effort for CGI nowadays and it is still more effective than showing anything, anytime.

On 2/23/2018 at 1:20 PM, Scintillating_CA said:

And that was built on 1996-97 technology. 21 years later, we get the atrocious-looking Steppenwolf in JL. What gives?

ILM didn't work on Justice League though.

No sarcasm whatsoever, I like Alan Silvestri a lot.

The film looks terrible, but Silvestri's score could be great irregardless of that.

Track List:

1 The Oasis
2 Hello, I'm James Halliday
3 Why Can't We Go Backwards
4 An Orb Meeting
5 Real World Consequences
6 Sorrento Makes An Offer
7 Welcome To The Rebellion
8 High 5 Assembles
9 Orbof Osuvox
10 Sorrento Punked
11 Wade's Broadcast
12 Arty On The Inside
13 Looking For A Truck
14 She Never Left
15 Last Chance
16 Get Me Out Of This
17 Hold On To Something
18 This Is Wrong
19 What Are You
20 There's Something I Need To Do
21 Ready Player One - Main Title
22 Ready Player One - End Credits

http://www.bilborecords.be/ready-player-one-ost-alan-silvestri-2cd?language=en

On 3/2/2018 at 9:50 AM, TownerFan said:

New promo with a curious musical cameo :)

I wonder if it's gonna be part of Silvestri's score too.

I was actually more interested in the Pure Imagination cover. (one piece of trailer music that's googleable in 5 seconds - it's by Ghostwriter)

The OST sequencing is strange - like Silvestri wanted to include his main title cue, but didn't think it was a good way to open the album. Maybe The Oasis is a concert piece?

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:50 AM, TownerFan said:

New promo with a curious musical cameo :)

I wonder if it's gonna be part of Silvestri's score too.

The Iron Giant?  Why?

Why any of this?

I hate virtual reality.

3 hours ago, natedog said:

Still gutted Williams isn’t doing this. When was the last time Silvestri produced a good action/fantasy score?

If we get another Mummy Returns, we're in for a hell of a ride. SS isn't the sort of director who's going to ask for a RCP score.

I feel the same way about this film as Minority Report, a similarly technological film - I don't think JW was the best composer to do it and I'm very happy that Silvestri is on board.

Apart from the incredible main theme, "Captain America" just sounded like a weaker clone of "Judge Dredd". It's really weird that we never got anything that sounded like BTTF ever again.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

What is his best, in your opinion?

As a complete score? The Mummy Returns comes to mind. It doesn't have that one big theme but the underscore is way above. Predator 1 and 2 as well. I also like The Polar Express and A Christmas Carol very much.

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

BTTF is far from his best, aside from the theme.

Karol

Well, quality aside, we never got that TYPE of score from him ever again... that "small epic" sound. Cap and the Avengers are huge, overbearing walls of sound, as is most of "The Mummy Returns" (although I really like the oriental parts of the score and the main action theme). I was hoping that RPO might have him return to that smaller sound (80s and all), but judging by the images in the trailer, that's not gonna fly.

They have great themes, though.

Silvestri is usually like that: Great themes, and great music accompained by the film. But on its own it can get pretty boring.

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

They have great themes, though.

Silvestri is usually like that: Great themes, and great music accompained by the film. But on its own it can get pretty boring.

They have a decent theme each. Decent.

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

We’re not pretending Avengers or Captain America had good scores are we?

I can hardly remember a thing from them.

Now if we were talking TWS on the other hand.

5 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

The end credits suite to Predator 2 is the only Silvestri music you'll ever need in life. 

The Castaway theme is excellent as well. Has such a melancholic, reflective quality to it. Certainly makes me reminisce about things, good and bad.

18 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

A racist, humiliating film with a great score.

It's called Predator 2, a film with an alien monster and schlock galore. It's not as if we're expecting some paragon of political correctness and moral aptitude. 

Looks like Showcase Cinemas in the UK are doing preview showings on the 20th of March (10 days ahead of the wide release). Looks like I know where I'm going next Tuesday night.

Karol

The first trailer looked okay, but the second one... looks like hot garbage. Where are the practical effects? Spielberg has succumbed to bad VFX overload syndrome.

Silvestri's score could be good, but I'm not holding my breath.