Alan Silvestri's READY PLAYER ONE (2018)

crocodile

It seems to be a long OST - it's split over two CDs:

Track Listings

Disc: 1

1. The Oasis
  2. "Hello, I'm James Halliday"
  3. "Why Can't We Go Backwards?"
  4. An Orb Meeting
  5. Real World Consequences
  6. Sorrento Makes An Offer
  7. Welcome To The Rebellion
  8. High 5 Assembles
  9. Orb Of Osuvox
  10. Sorrento Punked
  11. Wade's Broadcast

Disc: 2

1. Arty On The "Inside"
  2. Looking For A Truck
  3. She Never Left
  4. Last Chance
  5. "Get Me Out Of This"
  6. "Hold On To Something"
  7. "This Is Wrong"
  8. "What Are You?"
  9. "There's Something I Need To Do"
  10. Main Title
  11. End Credits

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ready-Player-One-Alan-Silvestri/dp/B07B61G8F1/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1521189546&sr=1-2&keywords=ready+player+one

Nah

I'd rather have too much than too little

Then again, if the movie is as tripe as it looks. I probably wont care much for the score anyway

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It seems to be a long OST - it's split over two CDs:

Yeah, read that yesterday. Very annoying that even big labels like Decca are doing this stuff now. I had hoped one CD with songs and one sweet and succinct score CD arranged for listening. But I'm guessing the songs will have a separate release? 

Time to get my playlist muscles working again, I suppose.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Yeah, read that yesterday. Very annoying that even big labels like Decca are doing this stuff now. I had hoped one CD with songs and one sweet and succinct score CD arranged for listening. But I'm guessing the songs will have a separate release? 

Wait, weren't you the one advocating that OSTs are what you shoud listen to and respect religiously, no matter what?

Noooooooooo! don't open this can of worms again!

Thor's issue with this is that it's probably been created with a 'more is better' mindset from Silvestri.

I agree that this will almost certainly be way too long, and there's probably 40 minutes of good music. But... which 40 minutes?

The main theme is kind of catchy, and definitely has a truly old-school vibe that I wasn't expecting.

It is an interesting discussion, the whole short album vs long album thing. But then, the rules don't really apply to film scores because of their very nature. Some of them work on short albums, some of them do not. Some of the OST's were carefully assembled by composers/producers, some of them completely go against their artistic instincts. Who is to say they need to be 40-60 minutes? The listening experience programme has nothing to do with artistic expression for the most part, merely re-use fees and format limitations. Having said that, few film scores are really great listens in their full forms from start to finish. There are no rules, especially in this era when you can arrange and re-arrange your music at will.

Karol

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The listening experience programme has nothing to do with artistic expression for the most part, merely re-use fees and format limitations.

Nah, you can't win with that argument either. I brought that up during the last format debate with Thor, and his response was that such limitations just force the composer to conceptualize their work further. The only time reuse fees seem to be significant these days are when Varese tries doing anything.

Maybe Star Wars IX should be released as a 5 minute itunes download. The ultimate listening experience!

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Also, when you say that few film scores make for great listening in their complete form, doesn't the problem then lie with the actual score?

No, simply because they are not meant for that anyway.

Karol

Who cares about a score for a presumably crappy movie? Bad movies NEVER have great scores!
Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta get back to listening to The Swarm and Agent Cody Banks. 

I agree with the 'too much music is better than too little' myself, but lawsey, I was ready to punch a hole in the wall by the time Intrada's presentation of Baby's Day Out finally ended. 

10 hours ago, Thor said:

Makes me think whether Silvestri himself decided he wanted 2 CDs, or whether it was more of a marketing thing and he was persuaded (in a way that JW would never be) to release most/all of the score from the start. He's never been one for overly editing/rearranging his scores.

If it was the latter, then maybe his creative efforts have been bypassed, but if it's the former then maybe he's just particularly proud of his score and feels it work as is?

On 3/16/2018 at 2:30 AM, publicist said:

Not a very high benchmark, though. Reminds me of 'The Rescuers Down Under' and several early to mid 90's - not 80's - scores by the likes of Silvestri, Debney & Co. It's nice.

First thing it reminded me of was Silvestri's 90s family/comedy stuff. That amiable, whimsical style reminiscent of Father of the Bride, Parent Trap, Stuart Little.

54 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

First thing it reminded me of was Silvestri's 90s family/comedy stuff. That amiable, whimsical style reminiscent of Father of the Bride, Parent Trap, Stuart Little.

Really? Once upon a time, nothing but an Oscar-bait score by JW, would do.

PARENT TRAP? How are the mighty fallen.

6 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Heck give it a year but I can't stay if the movie is that long.

Cinematic Universes and endless sequels mean one story lasts years now. 

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

But what if Silvestri wanted an 80 minute program as the best experience? 

Then he most likely has made a mistake. I doubt this score has the thematic richness and scope of something like STAR WARS, able to sustain 80+ minutes of music. But we'll see. A bit too early to say at this point.

I'd love it if one CD was a conceptual synth album, and the second a conceptual orchestral album. Hoping that he uses some of his brilliant synth skills again, at least.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Or maybe a great orchestral/synth fusion?

More likely with tracks in each style, yes. Like the COSMOS soundtracks.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Then he most likely has made a mistake. I doubt this score has the thematic richness and scope of something like STAR WARS, able to sustain 80+ minutes of music. But we'll see. A bit too early to say at this point.

I'd love it if one CD was a conceptual synth album, and the second a conceptual orchestral album. Hoping that he uses some of his brilliant synth skills again, at least.

Plenty of scores don't have anywhere near the thematic richness of Star Wars yet make perfectly good full length CDs.

As to your second point, the idea of re-writing/recording a conceptual album really starts to question the nature of a score release. Not only should it be vaguely in film order... should it even be the same music? Certainly there are a few occasions when a composer has had to do a musical U-turn to accommodate the film where I'd rather hear the theme develop, but would you really not see the film, hear a great piece of music, and want to listen to it later as you heard it?

Plenty of scores don't have anywhere near the thematic richness of Star Wars yet make perfectly good full length CDs.

Very, very few, IMO.

As to your second point, the idea of re-writing/recording a conceptual album really starts to question the nature of a score release. Not only should it be vaguely in film order... should it even be the same music? Certainly there are a few occasions when a composer has had to do a musical U-turn to accommodate the film where I'd rather hear the theme develop, but would you really not see the film, hear a great piece of music, and want to listen to it later as you heard it?

You don't have to rewrite or rerecord anything. You just have to choose tracks and order them in a way that makes for a great concept album.