Alan Silvestri's READY PLAYER ONE (2018)

crocodile

Yeah, apparently that's it in terms of quotes. Suprised there isn't more, but at the same time I didn't want Silvestri having to work too much with previous material. Good to see Spielberg gave him a chance to work his own stuff.

This would have been a waste of his time. The film is not scored wall to wall, by the way, and the mix (especially in the first half) is not that strong. Silvestri did solid work here andthe theme we heard already is featured heavily in the film.

Karol

From watching the film most of it is in the style of the first track released. That theme is in the film quite a bit. There are some lighter more modern synth too but nothing too heavy. I don't think there is that much score anyway, especially in the first half. If you expect a grand symphonic triumph you might be slightly let down. But it's a solid work and I'm looking forward to hearing the album.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

If you expect a grand symphonic triumph you might be slightly let down. But it's a solid work and I'm looking forward to hearing the album.

But... There is good action cues?

(A Silvestri fan love action)

My only real hope was that Silvestri wouldn't slum it and just make me wish for the Williams version. It's easier for me to give JW a pass when he phones it in because I'm happy to have anything from him at this point, but I really enjoy both of these tracks. This sounds like a good composer having fun  :up:

I went to the theatres yesterday and I don't know if I'm going to end up seeing this one. The trailer is only interesting to me when I see real people, particualrily Ben Mendelssohn.

33 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I'll just be listening to this score pretending it's the score to Cat's Eye instead. I need more symphonic scores for heroic cats, thanks.

Cat's Eye's all synth score is great as it is!

Forgive me for not wading through this entire thread in search of info, but when is this soundtrack being released, exactly? The film has already premiered in selected locations, and I'm seeing it myself tomorrow morning.

[Edit: Amazon says April 6. Strange that the soundtrack is being released so long after the film itself has premiered]

4 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Speilberg totally spat in Zimmer's face and then stomped on the corpses of the hopes and dreams of Zimmerfans here. Kudos!

Didn't hear him say one thing about Zimmer or anything Zimmer is incapable of doing and hasn't done plenty of times throughout his career.  You need help mate. 

14 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Speilberg totally spat in Zimmer's face and then stomped on the corpses of the hopes and dreams of Zimmerfans here. Kudos!

That poor girl has no idea what Spielberg is talking about :lol:

6:45 "Star Wars is going forward, forever"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

39 minutes ago, TGP said:

Didn't hear him say one thing about Zimmer or anything Zimmer is incapable of doing and hasn't done plenty of times throughout his career.  You need help mate. 

Exactly. In fact, Spielberg has often expressed his admiration for Zimmer.

10 hours ago, Thor said:

Forgive me for not wading through this entire thread in search of info, but when is this soundtrack being released, exactly? The film has already premiered in selected locations, and I'm seeing it myself tomorrow morning.

Wait, it was quicker for you to log into JWFan and type out a question asking for a a release date, instead of just going to Amazon.com first?

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Wait, it was quicker for you to log into JWFan and type out a question asking for a a release date, instead of just going to Amazon.com first?

Sometimes, Amazon doesn't get these things right; or have their own release dates. Which appeared to be the case here, if crocodile is to be believed. So I prefer 'interactive' sources.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Sometimes, Amazon doesn't get these things right; or have their own release dates. Which appeared to be the case here, if crocodile is to be believed. So I prefer 'interactive' sources.

Internet people for some reason get the shits when you try to interact with them and instead bark at you to go Google for something. It's really sad.

On 25/03/2018 at 5:58 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

I did like that part! Spielberg really does have the right ideas, doesn't he?

And apparently so does Silvestri.

Also, with all the character licensing, this sounds like the new Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Appropriate, I suppose, that Alan Silvestri got to score both!

Let's see what Silvestri does with the gazillion characters in The Avengers now!

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Amazon is not wrong, though; It says the CD is coming out Friday April 6th, which is right:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079VD4KSC/

It's only the digital release (iTunes, Google Play, Amazon mp3, Spotify, etc etc) that is this Friday, March 30th

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2018/03/15/ready-player-one-soundtrack-details/