Alan Silvestri's READY PLAYER ONE (2018)

crocodile

I've listened to this several times by now, and I saw the film this afternoon. (My thoughts on the film will be posted in the other thread shortly.) I was a little disappointed that "Main Title" was an album arrangement and not the actual main title theme, although I'd kind of expected that anyway given how over-the-top retro it was. Sure to be among my favorite handful of cues this year. I liked how that theme was used throughout the score (and, as someone else remarked earlier in this thread, I was pleasantly surprised by how versatile the theme could be in terms of mood). The fanfare in "Why Can't We Go Backwards?" for when (not too major of a spoiler)

Spoiler

Wade finds the first key

made a big impression on me in the film. I especially liked how they showed a little virtual "band" on screen that crashed their cymbals right when the score did so. Very satisfying. Also glad to hear I wasn't the only one who thought they heard some 1941. Still, I'm on the fence about whether it was likely intended or not. 

Ultimately, this is a classic Spielberg children's film score, very sweet and heartwarming in many parts (e.g. "What are You?" and the subsequent finale), with the main thematic material always coming back like a comforting friend. The action music, particularly on the second half of the album, really kicks ass, too. It's grown on me since my first listen -- this is the kind of awesome action writing that's hard to find these days. 

All in all, while this score may not be the epic triumph that I hoped for after hearing the stunning "Main Title" last week, this is still some really great stuff. Silvestri has done JW proud. Now time for another listen! (that's another thing about this score, it hasn't gotten boring for me despite its length!)  

It is a sweet score without much identity and although Spielberg complain of composers copying to each other is noticeable the influence of Horner in the first tracks ((at least the military stuff). In the middle there are also two tracks reminiscent of punk-like score for Dark Knight. Spielberg has worked extensively with Horner on the Amblin Studios films, which justifies his admiration for him.

it's better than a lot of scores I've heard recently, but it's the one movie that called for big bold 80's style themes and Williams didn't do it. I'll be permanently dissapointed

13 hours ago, Breadstick Basilisk said:

How is it not deliberate? It's a direct quote, note-wise; only one real rhythmic difference. Even happens a couple times in the track.

Because I see no narrative reason to reference the theme. It's only a similarity in the first few notes, anyway.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

The "Main Title" track is nice, but comes way too late.

I disagree. It's the perfect placement. The first, full statement of the theme as it's been building towards it throughout the musical journey of the album. That's one of the album structure elements that actually works.

On 3/30/2018 at 3:51 PM, Breadstick Basilisk said:

How is it not deliberate? It's a direct quote, note-wise; only one real rhythmic difference. Even happens a couple times in the track.

I heard it too and it seem damned deliberate to me as well 

Seeing the film would have to support this, but track 10, "Sorrento Punked" has the Terminator percussion in it, it first appears about :40 into it.  I think it pops up in a subsequent track as well.

Well they do reference T-2 in the film.visually anyways

On 3/31/2018 at 1:01 AM, King Mark said:

it's better than a lot of scores I've heard recently, but it's the one movie that called for big bold 80's style themes and Williams didn't do it. I'll be permanently dissapointed

At least we got The Post! You should be grateful!

56 minutes ago, Ricard said:

It was going to happen sooner or later. ;)

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm having a flashback to the Napster era, where BTTF was frequently credited to John Williams!

Oh, the memories!

Not overstruck on the high five theme. Sounds too much like your generic marvel hero theme. Orchestrations on the whole are very williamsesque. A decent score overall

I think it is.  I haven't seen the movie, but that's what I've understood from discussion on here and FSM.

I believe the track called "Main Title" is a concert arrangement of the theme, and the film's main titles are very short and "scored" with a pop song from what I've understood.

New interview with Alan Silvestri from The Hollywood Reporter:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ready-player-one-what-is-james-hallidays-motivation-1098908

'Ready Player One' Composer Alan Silvestri on Its Touching Final Moments

"He was really handing over his child to someone else," the Steven Spielberg collaborator says of the film's most intimate scene.

[This story contains spoilers for Ready Player One]

For composer Alan Silvestri, Ready Player One was a blast from the past, with him not only revisiting his work in Back to the Future, but also helping re-create an iconic piece of movie history.

In one of the film's more crowd-pleasing moments, Parzival (Tye Sheridan) and his team of Easter egg hunters head to the Overlook Hotel, the setting of Stanley Kubrik's 1980 adaptation of The Shining. There they must solve a puzzle on their quest to save the virtual universe known as the OASIS. 

This version of the Overlook used both physical sets and CGI to re-create the haunting location of the original Kubrick film. Director Steven Spielberg was adamant about the sequence's authenticity and Silvestri's work was key to that.

"Steven wanted the original score, to be faithful to that film," said Silvestri, who took inspiration from the music by The Shining's Wendy Carlos and Rachel Elkind. "It was very fun to re-create that and see how he mirrored the shots in the film.”

Despite the film's futuristic setting, Silvestri didn’t want to go for a futuristic sound that might date the film or make it feel emotionally hollow.

“With this score, I never tried to project the idea of what music in 2045 would sound like. It was all about playing on the emotion of the characters and playing up the action, which has a very timeless feeling," he said.

Crafting the climax scene’s score was especially challenging for Silvestri. The scene sees Parzival meet the avatar for OASIS co-creator James Halliday (Mark Rylance), the man who set up the contest for control of the OASIS after he was diagnosed with an illness and knew he would be dying. The moment takes place in a re-creation of Halliday's childhood bedroom, and is perhaps the film's most intimate scene as he passes ownership of the OASIS to Parzival.

"After talking with Steven, it appeared to me that after Halliday got his bad diagnosis, he was really handing over his child to someone else. The OASIS was his creation and it was a culmination of his life’s work," said Silvestri. "He designed a great way to find a new parent for this child that he could no longer care for.… And he found someone pure of heart, who loved the good things about the OASIS just as he did.”

The composer admitted that working with Spielberg could be intimidating given his work with John Williams (whom Silvestri calls "possibly the greatest artist to ever score a film") on Indiana Jones and, more recently, The Post. At one point, the director was working on both Ready Player One and The Post simultaneously with both Williams and Silvestri.

“Steven showed me a very early cut of the film, then he went off to shoot The Post while I wrote 30 minutes of music. He was very supportive of what I came up with based on the assembly cut.… We actually spent a day in the studio with a live orchestra playing my early ideas," he said.

For Spielberg, it was vital that they payed musical homage to the pop culture references in the film, particular Robert Zemeckis' Back to the Future trilogy, which Spielberg produced and Silvestri scored.

“There were several instances where Steven said, ‘I don’t want something similar to the Back to the Future score, I want the exact score and I want this particular section of it. I want it the way it was in the film.’ Steven had a lot of fun with the score," said Silvestri, who also noted that the director wanted to present a positive view of where VR technology could take humanity.

“This film has a very hopeful and optimistic way to look at virtual reality. It treats it as a grounds for love and companionship, unlike seeing it as a removing-from-nature and distracting tool," said the composer.

While Ready Player One is still going strong in theaters, Silvestri is just weeks away from releasing his next big film.

“It’s funny because I feel like everything is still shaking… the dust hasn’t quite settled just yet," he said last week by phone. "I wrapped Infinity War yesterday, and it was a really different experience than anything I’d done before, especially in regard to the approach and balancing quick shifts in tone."

Created a slightly tighter (largely synth-free) 55-minute playlist for my own listening pleasure:

To be honest, I'm quite tempted to remove 5-minute Hold On To Something as well. We'll see.

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Created a slightly tighter (largely synth-free) 55-minute playlist for my own listening pleasure

Thanks for the tip. I intend to make one too, once time allows. But I have a LOT of albums I need to do this with; so it will have to join the queue.

24 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Enjoyed the movie and 100% happy with Silvestri's score in Williams's stead. I think any upgrade (or downgrade) in quality would not have been that big with Williams's version, but would have been fun to see him do!

The main thing that interested me with Williams' involvement was the possibility for electronic experimentation but they (wisely) went a mostly traditional route so I'm fine they went with Silvestri.  I'm glad Williams chose to do The Post instead

The score has been growing-on me on more listens. I love the themes, and the music cameos. I would have liked to have seen Williams score this, but I'm quite fine that we got Silvestri instead. 

4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The main thing that interested me with Williams' involvement was the possibility for electronic experimentation but they (wisely) went a mostly traditional route so I'm fine they went with Silvestri.  I'm glad Williams chose to do The Post instead

I had actually hoped Silvestri would delve into some of his brilliant Synclavier sound of the 80s for this, but alas the electronic elements were just contemporary noodlings that went nowhere (much like several tracks of COSMOS).