E.T 4k Blu-ray & Remastered 1982 OST Soundtrack: 35th Anniversary Set in September

Amer

E.T is getting a 4k blu ray dvd release with the 1982 Remastered  OST Soundtrack album in September as part of an exclusive limited edition.

"Celebrate 35 years of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, one of the most beloved films of all time. On Sept. 12th, own the 35th Anniversary Limited Edition Gift Set on 4K UHD + Blu-ray featuring collectible packaging, CD soundtrack and collector’s booklet!  #ET35"- Facebook page.

More details from Bluray.com

This special gift set features premium packaging, includes a re-mastered CD soundtrack of the original Grammy Award-winning album, is packed with over three hours of bonus features and includes a collector's booklet with behind-the-scenes stories and rare images from the archives. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial 35th Anniversary Limited Edition retains all the excitement, drama and warm-hearted humor that made it an instant worldwide classic. 

received_10154546783806571.jpeg

Thats great news! The OST is back. Dunno who has mastered this. Very strange...today I had just scoured over Ebay to locate an audiophile pressing of the Ost from Japan and now this news!

So could this be a prelude to a more comprehensive cd reissue with the OST album paired as disc 2. Can we finally be getting a definitive deluxe edition set ala JAWS in the near future from Intrada?

More details from blu ray.com sbout the cd

This special gift set features premium packaging, includes a re-mastered CD soundtrack of the original Grammy Award-winning album, is packed with over three hours of bonus features and includes a collector's booklet with behind-the-scenes stories and rare images from the archives. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial 35th Anniversary Limited Edition retains all the excitement, drama and warm-hearted humor that made it an instant worldwide classic. 

So this film release includes the remastered OST as a bonus. Doesn't say anything about it being available separately, unless I'm mistaken? Which also means it leaves open the possibility of a complete CD release with score AND OST as a separate entity...

A shame, and very strange, that the full making-of documentary remains exclusive to the LD, unlike the restored documentary for Jaws. And I have low expectations that the "deleted scenes" on the specs list will include the Harrison Ford scene or the alternate ending

33 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Remastered folks!

?

The original sounds perfect. How do you improve on perfection? These days, remastered means brighter and louder.

How many different versions of E.T soundtracks do you really need in your lifetime? :P

This would be my fourth.... And yeah, I as an audiophile will probably get this remastered edition.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

How many different versions of E.T soundtracks do you really need in your lifetime? :P

This would be my fourth.... And yeah, I as an audiophile will probably get this remastered edition.

I had in my possession an audiophile pressing which came in a longbox set. Unfortunately I sold it to another collector when I needed the funds. The sound quality of that disc had a great punch to it and was outstanding. The basic OST release cd was just adequate sounding. But only yesterday while browsing on eBay I was contemplating the same edition/pressing of the audiophile edition around $20. But now I shall defer my plans for it since I'm more curious about this new edition. Its possible Shawn Murphy has remastered this album with Patricia Sullivan or its good old Mike Matessino.

At least this doesn't invalidate the possibility of a proper expansion in the next few years; Jurassic Park's OST was remastered and expanded for the 20th Anniversary before Williams' camp offered the property to Matessino (and they're both Universal properties).

Doesn't make economic sense to bundle in a newly created, complete LLL E.T. as a bonus with the new Blu-ray.

I agree. But if the new remastered CD doesn't appear separately (as a more commercially available release) other than this this limited edition Blu ray set. It could only mean that a formal definitive 2 CD set edition would be slated as a future release. We just have to see and wait.

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The OST does have some hiss and stage noise.

Stage noise is fine. But less hiss would be nice. Apparently, there were different pressings with varying amounts of hiss.

14 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Score and OST Album.... condemned to live separately for eternity....

Pathetic.

Maybe not for long. Remember  JAWS?

11 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

And I have low expectations that the "deleted scenes" on the specs list will include the Harrison Ford scene or the alternate ending

Harrison Ford scene? Alternate ending?

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

At least this doesn't invalidate the possibility of a proper expansion in the next few years; Jurassic Park's OST was remastered and expanded for the 20th Anniversary before Williams' camp offered the property to Matessino (and they're both Universal properties).

Doesn't make economic sense to bundle in a newly created, complete LLL E.T. as a bonus with the new Blu-ray.

Wouldn't it make sense to take the remastered OST as a bonus from another label which is restoring the OST and the film score anyway?

Jaws... 1941....How to Steal  Million... The Fury... Home Alone... Jaws 2...Rosewood... all released with complete scores paired with OST albums.

At some point in the future, surely all the rest will follow.   Be patient.

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

Jaws... 1941....How to Steal  Million... The Fury... Home Alone... Jaws 2...Rosewood... all released with complete scores paired with OST albums.

At some point in the future, surely all the rest will follow.   Be patient.

Missouri!

I Will never buy this deluxe anniversary set just for the OST album. 4K, I don't even know what it is!

Prepare some FLACs for me please!

8 hours ago, ymenard said:

No alternate cut of the movie?  Apart from the walkie-talkies and the terrorist line, it's not that bad! (don't shoot me)

I like the additional scenes and the effects improvement.

8 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

That's interesting stuff.

I wouldn't mind a remaster of the OST at all. : )

But I am less excited that I have to purchase a blu-ray to get it. Especially since I already own ET on blu...

...and of course the original OST. Talk about double dipping! : (

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

I wouldn't mind a remaster of the OST at all. : )

But I am less excited that I have to purchase a blu-ray to get it. Especially since I already own ET on blu...

...and of course the original OST. Talk about double dipping! : (

Perhaps in coming months we might find out about a stand alone ET OST set or more. So dont worry about the blu ray.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So having E.T. released in a format it wasn't previously released in is pointless?

If the CD is only available bundled with the blu-ray, a format I already own the movie in, yeah I think it's a little pointless.  Especially since, if the pictures are accurate, the CD only comes in a flimsy little cardboard sleeve?

21 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

If the CD is only available bundled with the blu-ray, a format I already own the movie in, yeah I think it's a little pointless.  Especially since, if the pictures are accurate, the CD only comes in a flimsy little cardboard sleeve?

It's 4K, so while it might be a format you're not interested in, it's not one you already have. The soundtrack is just a bonus.

An expanded & remastered soundtrack release for those of us directly interested in the CD will probably come out sooner or later.

43 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's 4K, so while it might be a format you're not interested in, it's not one you already have. The soundtrack is just a bonus.

Heh, I'm so uninterested in 4K, I didn't even notice it in the description/headline. It gets so hyped up these days my brain just tunes it out.

Me personally, I love this movie. I welcome any upgrade. But I'd be more happy if I had a 4K TV.

I'm excited by the soundtrack too, inspite of better judgement... = P

I don't have a 4K TV, I'm still happy with my 1080p plasma. But I have bought three UHD discs including ID4, BvS and Pacific Rim because they were discounted and it's nice to have a few ready in case I do buy a UHD TV someday.

What was wrong with 1080p anyway?

By the way there's a Facebook group dedicated to 4K discs that's gone in the draconian direction where the group admin had threatened to delete any posts that are critical of 4K discs, no matter what the flaws or if it's someone pointing out that it's from a 2K DI. Talk about insecure. Sounds more like a cult.

Lovely. Blu-ray is beginning to show its limitations. 4K with 10-bit colour, HDR, much higher bitrate etc. looks very superior to Blu-ray. So much banding and compression artifacts going on on Blu-ray.

Hadn't expected this so soon. I hope Empire of the Sun, Indy and other Spielberg films will get the 4K treatment soon.

9 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

I don't have a 4K TV, I'm still happy with my 1080p plasma. But I have bought three UHD discs including ID4, BvS and Pacific Rim because they were discounted and it's nice to have a few ready in case I do buy a UHD TV someday.

What was wrong with 1080p anyway?

By the way there's a Facebook group dedicated to 4K discs that's gone in the draconian direction where the group admin had threatened to delete any posts that are critical of 4K discs, no matter what the flaws or if it's someone pointing out that it's from a 2K DI. Talk about insecure. Sounds more like a cult.

UHD and 4K are synonymous right?

3 hours ago, Simon R. said:

So much banding and compression artifacts going on on Blu-ray.

That's an exaggeration. Blu-ray looks fine if it's masterered well and it's accurate to the source. Problems only show up when it's viewed upscaled on a UHD screen, which it wasn't designed for.