Jump to content

E.T 4k Blu-ray & Remastered 1982 OST Soundtrack: 35th Anniversary Set in September


Amer
 Share

Recommended Posts

You all will be quick to point out that I now view everything on a 19" Sony Trinitron from 1998. But the E.T. Blu-ray is a fantastic transfer. Unless you want to pointlessly flaunt your wealth and power with 4K upscaling technology, there's no reason to get this. It's so peculiar. 35th Anniversary? We celebrate that one now? It just reminds us all how ancient we've become.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

 

That's an exaggeration. Blu-ray looks fine if it's masterered well and it's accurate to the source. Problems only show up when it's viewed upscaled on a UHD screen, which it wasn't designed for.

 

No, a Blu-ray will never be able to replicate fine colour changes because of the 8-bit limitation. It is very obvious in many films. Also fade-ins and outs can be very troublesome. Same for dark scenes. It has nothing to do with resolution or upscaling. Many films look good, sure, but the format is showing its problems now on 10-bit OLED panels etc. Not that 4K is 100% perfect, and obviously some UHD movies are mastered better than others, just like on Blu-ray.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anybody seen the new poster Drew Struzan made for this?

 

 

 

ET poster print by Drew Struzan art edition

 

 

There was a screening in New York on Friday where you could buy copies for a mere $225.

 

http://www.slashfilm.com/e-t-signed-print/

 

 

Anyways, its kinda weird they commissioned Struzan to make a new poster, then didn't use it on the new BD set...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

That poster was a rejected artwork from 1982

 

And unsurprisingly so....
 

37 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Well you are in your 50's right?

 

He's in his 40s. I'm in my 50s and I don't watch VHS or DVDs... or play CDs, for that matter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2017 at 3:20 PM, azahid said:

Thats great news! The OST is back. Dunno who has mastered this. Very strange...today I had just scoured over Ebay to locate an audiophile pressing of the Ost from Japan and now this news!

I wanted to ask you I bought the Special Edition LaserDisc ( Because I wanted the CD and Deleted Scenes) and it is the Gold CD other than sound quality is there anything else special about this CD?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The LaserDisc still has better features than the DVD or Blu-ray sets. The only new feature they contributed really worth a damn is the recording of the 20th Anniversary premiere with live orchestra conducted by Williams. I'd stick with the LaserDisc for special features, DVD for the 20th Anniversary version and Blu-ray book for great transfer of the original film with cute packaging.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

The LaserDisc still has better features than the DVD or Blu-ray sets. The only new feature they contributed really worth a damn is the recording of the 20th Anniversary premiere with live orchestra conducted by Williams. I'd stick with the LaserDisc for special features, DVD for the 20th Anniversary version and Blu-ray book for great transfer of the original film with cute packaging.

 

 

The DVD set which also came with an Illustrated Screenplay coffee table book and a screen cell pic, 20th anniversary soundtrack cd,  featured the CGI altered altered special edition with extended scenes and Williams live concert performance as a bonus sound mix. This version and the live performance have not been issued on blu ray to date. The digibook blu ray set however is very detailed and is compact. I still feel they should have released the extended cut as a bonus in the forthcoming set with the new Williams track. But I guess Spielberg is not interested in it for now. 

 

 

 

6 hours ago, dillweed97 said:

I wanted to ask you I bought the Special Edition LaserDisc ( Because I wanted the CD and Deleted Scenes) and it is the Gold CD other than sound quality is there anything else special about this CD?

 

No idea as I never had the laserdisc. As for the cd I remember reading that it was the MCA 1996 expansion set? Can you post some pics of that gold cd? Im curious. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, azahid said:

 

 

The DVD set which also came with an Illustrated Screenplay coffee table book and a screen cell pic, 20th anniversary soundtrack cd,  featured the CGI altered altered special edition with extended scenes and Williams live concert performance as a bonus sound mix. This version and the live performance have not been issued on blu ray to date. The digibook blu ray set however is very detailed and is compact. I still feel they should have released the extended cut as a bonus in the forthcoming set with the new Williams track. But I guess Spielberg is not interested in it for now. 

 

 

 

 

No idea as I never had the laserdisc. As for the cd I remember reading that it was the MCA 1996 expansion set? Can you post some pics of that gold cd? Im curious. 

Sutre it should be coming in the mail soon and when it does I will!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Spielberg decided to be anti-George Lucas prior to E.T.'s Blu-ray release and put on a show in front of a crowd saying he was only going to release the original version. I wanted both.

Me too. I like the additional scenes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He wasn't asking if the 1996 program was different than the 2002 program, he was asking if there was any difference besides the supposed sonic upgrade of the gold version compared to the normal version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was definitely a sonic upgrade on the ID4 24 kt gold CD compared to the initial press.

 

I'll have to check my Dances With Wolves 24 kt gold CD and the original CD to see if there's anything different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Idiots!

Actually, an idiot is someone who is narrow-minded to new material. It's like hating "In the Trailer" and "The Saboteur" because it seems to be new music. I didn't say I like the censorship or the CGI improvement of E.T., however, would you condemn a CGI fixing of the plane crash in Air Force One?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

the CGI improvement of E.T

 

It was not an improvement because it instantly looked like CGI instead of the puppet and therefore was jarring, distracting, and took me out of the movie.

 

Quote

would you condemn a CGI fixing of the plane crash in Air Force One?

 

If I could bother to give a crap about that movie at all, yes I would condemn that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To all you naysayers out there; just buy the bloody thing, and have done with it!

 

 

 

On 16/07/2017 at 4:43 PM, Stefancos said:

16K, 5D-Panoramic360 with DolbySuperAtmos!

 

On 16/07/2017 at 4:44 PM, BloodBoal said:

And Smell-O-Vision!

 

...and Feelarround, and Sensurround, and Rumble-Rama, and Mega Sound.

 

 

On 14/07/2017 at 2:46 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

 

Stage noise is fine. 

 

I like stage noise, as it makes the music somehow more human.

The stage noise in POLTERGEIST, is great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Richard said:

 

 

 

 

I like stage noise, as it makes the music somehow more human.

The stage noise in POLTERGEIST, is great.

 

Stage noise in POLTERGEIST is kinda creepy, now that you have mentioned it ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 20th Anniversary version of E.T. is a part of our E.T. history. It's a "guilty pleasure" with a few unfortunate alterations (guns, terrorist line), some neat stuff (new flying bike and spaceship shots) and some truly wild out of left field stuff (hopping E.T. in opening scene, bathroom scene). But it's still the movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's weird that Spielberg allowed 3 versions of Close Encounters on Bluray, but he's disowned the 20th E.T.

 

Also how selective he is with including deleted scenes on certain films, but not on others. There's a surplus of deleted scenes in his films that never see the light of day, especially from the Indy films. Yet he's been happy to release pretty much every deleted scene from Jaws and Close Encounters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.