NEW video premieres The Last Jedi music?

Tom

Well, either way the middle two "action" parts are excellent, whether Williams or not.  The last minute and a half does not seem to be SW-based at all. 

(edit): I have listened a couple of times now, I am now almost certain the middle two pieces are genuine Williams--to many little Williamsisms to not be. 

I'm guessing it's from Battlefront. It sounds very good, but I don't think it's Williams, but rather a great imitator like Haab. 

@Not Mr. Big is right that some parts don't even sound like a real orchestra. So then, maybe it's not even from Battlefront, since that used the LSO. 

I mean, listen to the winds here (part of the Resistance march cue):

Either JW used some really, really unusual (for him) colors in this score, or that's not him. 

I also highly doubt that JW himself would write a variation that, at least in parts, sounds like someone was trying to hue very closely to a MOTR temp track without quite copying it. That's the kind of stuff imitator composers do. JW would just clearly quote the theme! 

I am not familiar with the Battlefront music at all (or any Star Tours music).  I agree parts sound off, but I attributed that to the less than ideal sound quality of the video itself. 

I don't know, I am hearing some high horn hits ala TPM and underscore beats in the family of the Attack on Jakku.  Whoever composed it, if not Williams, really knows how to channel those little Williams's touches. 

Okay, I just re-listen and no longer think it is Williams. However, that variation of the Resistance March is top-notch.  It really brings the main melody line to life.  The composer deserves more jobs. 

doubt it could be from the Last Jedi. as others have pointed it out this score is entirely synth, and since TLJ has been recorded with orchestra and John Williams adopts a pen and paper approach this music could be from anything. wouldn't even be surprised if this was from Star Wars Rebels Season 4 since parts sound similar to Kevin Kiner. however, there being a Resistance March variation makes me think its commercial music designed to imitate the sound of Star Wars without forgoing copyright.

I'm also convinced I've heard that last part's theme before. I think that is definitely from Star Wars Rebels, possibly when Hera flies the prototype B-Wing.

It's a very good mockup.  I would say very low (about zero) chance it is JW so I think it is either extra Star Wars video game material like something from Gordy Habb or something commissioned just for this background Star Wars "experience" score. 

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Gordy doesn't write with synth either. He writes with pen and paper like Williams. Also I know Gordy's style, and that's definitely not it.

Regardless of how a person writes, budget will determine if real people play it, or a computer does.

Definitely not Williams. Some of those harmonic changes are a bit too clumsy for Williams.

2 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Regardless of how a person writes, budget will determine if real people play it, or a computer does.

Irrelevant in this case as all of Battlefront 2's music was performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. They don't use MIDI samples in Star Wars games anymore... they haven't in about a decade.

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Irrelevant in this case as all of Battlefront 2's music was performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. They don't use MIDI samples in Star Wars games anymore... they haven't in about a decade.

I remember Gordy mentioning in one of the interviews that he has "dedicated team of mock-up artists" that translate his writing into something game developers (EDIT: and, according to the interview, John Williams himself) can assess and approve for recording. But I highly doubt it's his music in the video, played with synths.

I'm gonna go with not JW music. It sounds a bit too messy to be JW. It DOES sound a lot like what we get when other composers try to write like JW. And of course, in the unlikely event it turns out to be JW music, I will call it the single greatest contribution to Star Wars music since Rey's Theme.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

It's clearly synth, obviously wouldn't be Williams.

So far as I know, he doesn't have synth mockups of his sketches.

Maybe William Ross did those...

9 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Remember, KK: we thought the bit from The Jedi Steps that showed up in one of the TFA trailers wasn't by Williams! Tread carefully!

I still don't believe it's Williams! It was Ross!

Very odd way to debut new music. I didn't think it was Williams, and I did peg The Jedi Steps and Coruscant Chase music (despite the electric guitar^) as Williams  before it was confirmed, so I'm always right. 

20 minutes ago, pete said:

and I did peg The Jedi Steps and Coruscant Chase music (despite the electric guitar^) as Williams  before it was confirmed, so I'm always right. 

What method was that released through?  I've never heard of that track being leaked early before.  

I just recall it was floating around days before the soundtrack release and there was some debate as to whether it was legit or not. I'm sure there was discussion here at the time. I remember a comment on FSM along the lines of "Electric guitar? Yeah right. Of course it isn't new Star Wars music". Which was understandable^