John Williams: Unpopular Opinions

Bilbo

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

SHUT UP.

@Jay Can you add this line in the thread "Read this before your first post" : Don't try to argue with Thor.

It can save lifes.

May we also add the sticky "Do not discuss discography sorting issues with Bespin"? I think that may save even more lives, to paraphrase ol' Schindler.

15 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I mean, look at a smart film like Blade Runner. That's pure escapism. So Schindler's List is a historical retelling of a human atrocity, so what? It was still made with actors and cameramen and set designers with money in mind and a desire to captivate and entertain. Two very different films, but with one crucial thing in common: to be thought provoking. 

All storytelling is escapism. 

Yeah. I can picture you on speaker's corner, informing all the world through a megaphone. And the world would go by shrugging, quite rightly so.

Just now, Thor said:

May we also add the sticky "Do not discuss discography sorting issues with Bespin"? I think that may save even more lives, to paraphrase ol' Schindler.

9:50 AM. Well, I think it's time to open a Champagne bottle.

To hell with the total reputation, users should be ranked by the time they spent on the forum before they got into their first arguent with Thor. Would tell everyone a lot more about the person than these "likes".

26 minutes ago, publicist said:

Yeah. I can picture you on speaker's corner, informing all the world through a megaphone. And the world would go by shrugging, quite rightly so.

See, this guy has a lot of imagination. He enjoys his fair share of escapism. And why not? But, that's your insight here, pub? That's funny; because the main brunt of nauseatingly wordy pontificating I see on here with regularity is from the likes of Thor and yourself. Everybody else just talks and has a bit of a laugh. 

What is really annoying here is that the question "Is just watching popcorn movies bad?" has superfluously changed to a pathetic discussion about the definition of the term "escapism", which all reminds me of the old "definitive"-thread.

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

See, this guy has a lot of imagination. He enjoys his fair share of escapism. And why not? But, that's your insight here, pub? That's funny; because the main brunt of nauseatingly wordy pontificating I see on here with regularity is from the likes of Thor and yourself. Everybody else just talks and has a bit of a laugh. 

Laughing is overrated. ;)

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Yeah. It's so sidesplitting i hardly stop laughing.

Heh heh heh

*Lowering the tone... *

It has of course not gone unnoticed by me that pub and Thor seem to have had their ire raised once Schindler's List was deployed into the conversation, with a degree of controversy it can be said. Was their gravely serious response a simple overreaction on their part? Almost, apologetically offensive to their progressive sensibilities, perhaps? "It is forbidden for a film about the Holocaust to be thought of as escapism" they cried! 

What?!

In regards to SCHINDLER'S LIST -- while a brilliant film (one of the best of all time, even) -- it's still a fairly straightforward Hollywood film. It was not really the type of film I had in mind when I talked about the benefits of diversity in film watching.

Wow, these last pages are very satisfying to me on a primal level.  Does Thor just ignore the implications of "common denominator" logic when applied to the frequent, absolutely absurd arguments he is involved in?

2 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Wow, these last pages are very satisfying to me on a primal level.  Does Thor just ignore the implications of "common denominator" logic when applied to the frequent, absolutely absurd arguments he is involved in?

In the case of Nick, it was tempting to ignore his insults on first glance. But once in a while, I'd like to get down to the "down and dirty" rhetoric that Nick introduced. Although I very rarely engage in mudslinging, I have to admit it's very refreshing. I can see why you guys like to do it on such a consistent basis. Ultimately, though, I prefer adult, "dry" debate. With as few jokes and snide remarks as humanly possible.

28 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Well these last couple of pages have been very entertaining.

Indeed.

28 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

We've now got two subjects that must never be discussed with Thor :lol:

Movies and music?

1 minute ago, publicist said:

At least i'm not the village idiot.

You've been on my ignore list earlier this year. Be quiet.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2017 at 9:35 PM, Disco Stu said:

Braveheart's alright.  I don't ever want to watch it for goodness' sake.  But it's alright.

You mean you haven't watched Braveheart at all?

On 11/21/2017 at 10:59 AM, Thor said:

I love my escapist stuff, but I would go absolutely nuts if I couldn't balance that with more "serious" fare now and then, whether music or films.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of "serious" music are you referring to? As for myself, I listen a lot to classical music and early jazz. After all, film music ala JW is just a continuation of the classical tradition. Zimmer on the other hand... :lol:

On 9/22/2017 at 5:28 PM, Thor said:

As with UNFORGIVEN, Gibson's movies are very much about anti-violence (by overdoing it, he comments on it). Criticizing the "over-top-violence" in his movies feels, to me, like criticizing STAR WARS for having too many aliens in it.

Ah, so you think Star Wars is an anti-alien film. ;)

• 1 month later...

I've never connected in the slightest bit with Across The Stars. The only instances of it I can think of that I like are in Rise Lord Vader, A Moody Trip, and maybe Revisiting Padmé, neither of the big sweeping statements in AotC do anything for me, even in the concert piece, the bridging part in the middle when it gets low, foreboding and even march-y is my favourite. This might explain why I hate AotC (the movie) so much, and why I think it's the weakest the least good Wiliams Star Wars score. I never can find any real depth, strength or emotion behind all those big sweeping statements, kind of like with the Prequels or just that romance in general.

This may partly (and that's a big part) be simple overexposure, but the Duel of the Fates Concert Suite is also completely weightless. It's like they recorded 3-5 second bursts of orchestra and choir separately for all the melodies, looped them for 5 minutes, and assigned a volume control knob to all 3 loops, and Johnny's just turning the dials back and forth. All the "progression" and "variation" in it is just things get louder, or softer, or sometimes disappear, only to come back the very same again, just louder than ever before. It's also about two times as long as it could be without this getting gratingly repetitive. Thankfully, it has wonderful variations in the film cues (which were not released, or used in the film at all...) like The Great Dual Duel, which I think has infinitely more engaging and intense orchestration.

I'm not too into the new Star Wars scores personally. I worship Williams for many reasons and he's my favorite composer, but I don't find these scores that talent-driven or captivating. Empire Strikes Back might be my favorite OST of his. When this Yoda plays, I get orgasmic. I'm like *THIS IS the Star Wars I know and love." So many brilliant and catchy themes in the original SW, very Mussorgskian. I wish the new SW scores were even better than the originals, but the producers are idiots and didn't grab at the opportunity of having Williams there. Imo it sounds like a typical score. It completely lost me.

As for the topic on the previous page, Escapism: "the tendency to seek distraction and relief from unpleasant realities, especially by seeking entertainment or engaging in fantasy." Schindler's List is one of the highest-rated movies of all time. For most of those people, it definitely qualifies as escapist.

18 minutes ago, Borodin said:

As for the topic on the previous page, Escapism: "the tendency to seek distraction and relief from unpleasant realities, especially by seeking entertainment or engaging in fantasy." Schindler's List is one of the highest-rated movies of all time. For most of those people, it definitely qualifies as escapist.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! What are you doing!!!???

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

The last two SW scores could pass for Potter at times

True.  There's far more "probable latter-day Harry Potter" in SWTFA, SWTLJ, The Book Thief, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (the Skull's theme), and War Horse than in Tintin.

Whether or not this opinion is unpopular on this board, I'm not sure, but:

I think John Williams writes music on an immensely, spiritually profound level, that connects on a deep, almost primordial emotional plane. Even in his works that I care for the least I find glimpses of this life force that I truly believe suffuses just about everything he works on.