John Williams: Unpopular Opinions

Bilbo

35 minutes ago, Quintus said:

All of this mention of War Horse, it always reminds me how unsatisfying that album was. Not a single standout recording of the beautiful main theme, one of John's sweetest in recent years. If ever a theme was crying out for a concert arrangement, it's that. Such wastefulness.

It was a bit ill-fitting in the otherwise strictly british/irish idiom but yeah: needed the Horner treatment. Williams loves it in hymnal horn mode, which robs it of it sighing qualities. 

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Well I've decided to dick around with douchebags all day!

Man admirable life choice. 

Although it sounds dodgy if you think about it too much. 

7 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

I wish he would score more depressing films.

I know what you mean. I wish he would do more tragic, onerous, deeply saddening scores. War of the World, Sleepers, Presumed Innocent, Revenge of the Sith ans Rosewood have some/many passages/pieces of that kind. Do you notice what most of them have in common? They're among John's most unknown scores.

Many other and especially his recent scores are sad in a child-friendly, harmless Hollywood-like way. The BFG on top of them.

A.I. however pretends to be emotional, but it always sounds cold-hearted. One of the most disturbing listening experiences ever.

Ok here's one: Ottman's Superman Returns is more entertaining than the original, and his handling of the love theme is better.

I read a lot of comments years ago claiming that Ottman had less ability than JW due the simpler chords he used in the love theme. To me that was fanboy rubbish. I find Ottman's approach cleaner and more beautiful. I found How Could You Leave Us? breathtaking the first time I saw the film.

Couple of others:

- Most of the 'action' music in PoA is chaotic, and an example of Williams' worst 'crash/bang' action style. Outside of a few highlights (ironically, almost all of them unreleased), I think it's his weakest Potter score. Hooper's scores are more consistent.

- Battle of the Heroes is one of the most appallingly structured concert pieces I've ever heard. It's got a few good moments in the middle when the orchestra gets going, but what the hell is going on with the clumsy solo brass opening, and those xylophone hits?

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

All of this mention of War Horse, it always reminds me how unsatisfying that album was. Not a single standout recording of the beautiful main theme, one of John's sweetest in recent years. If ever a theme was crying out for a concert arrangement, it's that. Such wastefulness.

I kinda agree. I remember how taken I was with the main theme when the trailer premiered. It deserves futher devolepment and spotlight on JW's part

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

A.I. however pretends to be emotional, but it always sounds cold-hearted. One of the most disturbing listening experiences ever.

Absolutely. Incredibly cold and calculated, both the film itself and the score; I'm still not sure how Williams achieved it. There's such a longing and sadness to the writing, presented with an artificial warmth that leaves the viewer unnerved and shaken rather than warm and fuzzy. It's brilliant!

Oops, wrong thread.

Surely not intentional, going by the JW interview with Jeff Bond.

4 hours ago, Romão said:

I kinda agree. I remember how taken I was with the main theme when the trailer premiered. It deserves futher development and spotlight on JW's part

He will not do it, as he already did the concert version. The theme itself has a fragmented quality (try to sing in chorus/bridge form and it will not get you far) so that might have something to to with it.

As I once said in the JP/TLW thread: "T-rex Rescue and Finale is too chaotic for me to bear." 

I've started to warm to it since I said that, but it sounds a little grating apart from the island fanfare segment when the doors are locked.

19 hours ago, MrScratch said:

I love Slave Children's Crusade.  The only thing I don't like about it is the name of the concert arrangement it was given.  "Parade of the Slave Children"?  Slave children on parade, John?  Really?

Exactly! But "crusade" is almost as bad as "parade"! Really, he just should have called it "Slave Childrens".

I also don't like the frequent use of the word "March". Why call it "Superman March"? Or "Raiders March"? Neither the raiders nor Superman have ever marched!

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Battle of the Heroes should have been called Child Murdering Psychopath vs Honourable Jedi Knight.

Darth Vader has had psychotic episodes, and it could be argued that he has dissociative personality disorder, but he is not a psychopath.

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

Darth Vader has had psychotic episodes, and it could be argued that he has dissociate personality disorder, but he is not a psychopath.

That was the original track title: Child Murdering, Dissociate Personality Disorder Sufferer vs Honourable Jedi Knight.

Williams edited it for brevity, obviously.

My unpopular opinion, well I really enjoy many of his dramatic scores as of late, and that doesn't seem to be too popular an opinion around these parts. Also I'm not too big on parts of Saving Private Ryan on their own as a listen, though I think it works well enough in the film.

On 7/24/2017 at 11:34 AM, Loert said:

Btw, has anybody heard the story about Williams thinking that Star Wars was just going to be a Saturday matinee showing for kids and that it would disappear in a couple of weeks?!

No, but that wouldn't surprise me, considering that Fox thought the film would flop, that would not shock me at all.

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No one expected SW to be this huge film. Williams probably did it because he thought it was quite charming and as a favor to Spielberg, who recommended him.

Basically. I'm sure Williams saw it as a good opportunity to do something different at the time too, considering he was doing mostly thrillers / disaster films at that point. 

23 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Ok here's one: Ottman's Superman Returns is more entertaining than the original, and his handling of the love theme is better.

I read a lot of comments years ago claiming that Ottman had less ability than JW due the simpler chords he used in the love theme. To me that was fanboy rubbish. I find Ottman's approach cleaner and more beautiful. I found How Could You Leave Us? breathtaking the first time I saw the film.

Couple of others:

- Most of the 'action' music in PoA is chaotic, and an example of Williams' worst 'crash/bang' action style. Outside of a few highlights (ironically, almost all of them unreleased), I think it's his weakest Potter score. Hooper's scores are more consistent.

- Battle of the Heroes is one of the most appallingly structured concert pieces I've ever heard. It's got a few good moments in the middle when the orchestra gets going, but what the hell is going on with the clumsy solo brass opening, and those xylophone hits?

Please, Mr. Necative of this terrrible forum, is there any positive things to post, I mean is there anything by john williams you actually like, why are you here????

all these mediocte composers you find so much better, what is the great idea only bash him???

I don't even know where to start with this!

2 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Also I'm not too big on parts of Saving Private Ryan on their own as a listen, though I think it works well enough in the film.

I think this point of view is not very uncommon. No score can be better used as pure background music than SPR. There is no single outburst or anything like that. However just sitting down and conciously listening to the whole CD is probably a chore.

13 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I think this point of view is not very uncommon. No score can be better used as pure background music than SPR. There is no single outburst or anything like that. However just sitting down and conciously listening to the whole CD is probably a chore.

Ironically, listening to the whole CD is quite a relaxing and peaceful experience.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

No one expected SW to be this huge film. Williams probably did it because he thought it was quite charming and as a favor to Spielberg, who recommended him.

Bet Spielberg regrets that now!

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:51 AM, Richard Penna said:

9 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The statement of the Indiana Jones theme at 1:05 is the worst 5 seconds of Williams' entire career.  

Isn't that Mutt's Theme, though?

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

True, it's not bad, it's very well-composed, but a lot of it is dramatic battle music. The theme is great of course, but the rest of the score well-made as it is, just isn't the easiest to listen to on its own. 

9 hours ago, Tom said:

Ironically, listening to the whole CD is quite a relaxing and peaceful experience.

6 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

True, it's not bad, it's very well-composed, but a lot of it is dramatic battle music. The theme is great of course, but the rest of the score well-made as it is, just isn't the easiest to listen to on its own. 

I have to agree on both.

7 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The statement of the Indiana Jones theme at 1:05 is the worst 5 seconds of Williams' entire career.  

I would say the first 5 seconds of Soundings are the worst of his career.