How many Jerry Goldsmith albums do you own?!

Josh500

So today I bought 3 more Jerry Goldsmith OS albums, and now I own 16: 

Alien

Poltergeist 

Basic Instinct 

Dennis the Menace

Congo

Star Trek

Total Recall

Omen

Gremlins 2

The Mummy

The Sum of All Fears

First Knight

The Medicine Man

The Ghost and the Darkness 

Rambo 2 First Blood 

Air Force One

Which JG must-haves are still missing from my collection? I have my eye on Planet of the Apes, Chinatown, Capricorn One, and Gremlins.

Any other recommendations? Also how many do you own?

I've got about 21 CDs, but at one point I had about 60. I've sold or traded off many over the years.

In digital file format, I have 57 albums including the 21 above. So in this context, back to almost 60 again.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've got about 21 CDs, but at one point I had about 60. I've sold or traded off many over the years.

In digital file format, I have 57 albums including the 21 above. So in this context, back to almost 60 again.

That's not a whole lot, considering JG literally scored around 200 movies!

We're still at the beginning, I think....

14 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Well over 100. Maybe 110-120. Those include OSTs and expansions.

Seriously? That's awesome.

So which do you recommend? Which are the 10 next JG must-haves still missing from my collection? 

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

So many bottle caps..... :mrgreen:

He'd say I'm mad!

25 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Seriously? That's awesome.

So which do you recommend? Which are the 10 next JG must-haves still missing from my collection? 

I'm going to have to go through them, but ones that immediately spring to mind are Leviathan, Warlock, Criminal Law, Mr Baseball, Not Without My Daughter, Star Trek V, Twilight Zone: The Movie, Under Fire, Psycho II, Poltergeist II, Coma, The Final Conflict, Gremlins, Explorers, The 'Burbs, Lionheart, The Russia House, The River Wild, The Shadow (absolute must have).

In this case, I counted "items", e.g. I counted the 20th Century Fox box set as 1. And "about" because there's always a bunch of CDs scattered about my flat, and a few of those are bound to be Goldsmiths.

DSC_5821_v1.JPG

44 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

In this case, I counted "items", e.g. I counted the 20th Century Fox box set as 1. And "about" because there's always a bunch of CDs scattered about my flat, and a few of those are bound to be Goldsmiths.

DSC_5821_v1.JPG

Hats off to you.

Amazing collection! :thumbup:

So which are your Top 10?

47 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

DSC_5821_v1.JPG

Very nice, indeed, but...just a damn minute!

COMA next to LOGAN'S RUN? THE OMEN after CAPRICORN ONE? OUTLAND next to ALIEN? What's going on?

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

That's not a whole lot, considering JG literally scored around 200 movies!

We're still at the beginning, I think....

Nope, not a whole lot compared to some of the hardcore collectors.

Although I'm a big fan (he's no doubt in my Top 10), I was never a JG completist, nor do I want to. In fact, I'd rather just boil it down to the ones that truly mean something to me -- both in physical and digital format. Fortunately, I've heard far more of his titles than I own over the last couple of decades, so I do at the very least have an overview of most of his stuff.

Lots of mp3 selections but only 30 or so physical albums (mostly Intrada & Club releases). Goldsmith certainly has more highlights than many others in his complete discography but there's a lot of shit, too.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

DSC_5821_v1.JPG

That's the Ikea Billy right? I have the same one, and it looks like you did what I did with mine in adjusting the shelf spacing to conform to CD sizing.

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

So which are your Top 10?

Does it look like I could choose 10?

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Very nice, indeed, but...just a damn minute!

COMA next to LOGAN'S RUN? THE OMEN after CAPRICORN ONE? OUTLAND next to ALIEN? What's going on?

Some stuff gets mixed up when I add new CDs to the shelves and shift stuff around. Coma and Logan's Run probably ended up next to each other because they were paired on the old Chapter III CD (to the left of them).

40 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

That's the Ikea Billy right? I have the same one, and it looks like you did what I did with mine in adjusting the shelf spacing to conform to CD sizing.

Ikea Besta, actually. Which has the perfect shelf spacing for CDs out of the box (except for the bottom - or top - row). I do have Billys for my films though.

We've had a few 'top list threads' with Goldsmith in the past. Here's one, for example:

Created by yourself, even! As usual, I have to separate between score-in-movies and soundtrack albums when I give out recommendations. I did that in that thread too, and I don't think my evaluation has changed much since then:

SCORE-IN-MOVIES:

1. Alien

2. Planet of the Apes

3. Star Trek: TMP

4. Basic Instinct

5. First Blood

SOUNDTRACK ALBUMS (the original releases in all cases, of course):

1. The Mummy

2. The Last Run

3. Mulan

4. The Final Conflict

5. Under Fire

...or something like that. Except for the no. 1 spots in each list, these change continually.

7 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Give me the top 20 then! Try, anyway. :D

Nah. But everyone knows that I consider Rambo II and Total Recall the two great action scores (with Baby not so far behind), and that I think The Final Conflict is one of Goldsmith's best.

13 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Ikea Besta, actually. Which has the perfect shelf spacing for CDs out of the box (except for the bottom - or top - row). I do have Billys for my films though.

How many CDs can you fit in one shelf? I do double stacks to save on extra shelves.

I have 63 Goldsmith scores on CD, a lot more digitally.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

We've had a few 'top list threads' with Goldsmith in the past. Here's one, for example:

SOUNDTRACK ALBUMS (the original releases in all cases, of course):

1. The Mummy

I do own The Mummy, but I haven't listened to it very often.

I gotta give this another listen. You giving it the number one spot surprises me.... Is It really that good?

There's 11 of those rows you see above in one of these, plus an extension on top with another 3. I have two of these 14 row constructs next to each other, and one more on the other side of the door - that one's not exclusively filled with CDs, but I'll probably have to throw out the rest to make room for the CDs that have been piling up elsewhere over the past few months.

Epic (perhaps closest to Williams huge scores of that time):

The Final Conflict (big and operatic)

Night Crossing (big romantic flight score, a mixture of Strauss and Wagner)

Action/Adventure:

First Blood

The Wind and the Lion (precursor to 90's scores like Ghost and the Darkness and 13th Warrior)

The Edge (honourable mention, very similar to the other 90's scores)

Fantasy:

Legend (his magnum opus for Ridley Scott's problematic fairy tale movie)

Supergirl (not really good but fun in a cheesy way)

The Secret of NIMH (first Don Bluth animated movie, Horner listened to that more than once)

King Solomon's Mines (Goldsmith doing Indiana Jones and some of the action cues are huge)

Drama:

Papillon (epic prison drama, very good mixture of melos and brutality)

Under Fire (another masterpiece)

Comedy:

The Great Train Robbery (one of his most Williams-like, Prokoviev on steroids)

Western:

Take A Hard Ride

Wild Rovers

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

I do own The Mummy, but I haven't listened to it very often.

I gotta give this another listen. You giving it the number one spot surprises me.... Is It really that good?

I think so, yes. Just as with Williams, the 90s was my favourite decade for Goldsmith (as far as soundtrack albums are concerned). I'm not denying there's a fair bit of 'formative years' influence going on in that evaluation.

I own 66 albums. It's always the most complete version (except Poltergeist II).

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

DSC_5821_v1.JPG

I didn't want to copy the photo for the fourth time, but HOLY SHIT. As I see you always keep every release. Are there any releases you missed?

8 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Any other recommendations?

The main scores that are left are:

Papillon

The Wind and the Lion

The Boys From Brazil

First Blood

Under Fire

Legend

Explorers

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

The Russia House

The Shadow

and at least 40 other scores...

My personal hidden gems are:

Inchon

Night Crossing

Extreme Prejudice

92 physical cd's

And what exactly is the model of that shelf, Marian? I really need to get a new one for my stuff. Would be nice if it could fit books too

He said it above. He has the Besta for CDs and the Billy for movies. Both from Ikea. I've had two Billy shelves for years. They're great. Works well for books and any sort of media, as long as you adjust the shelves for it. 

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The main scores that are left are:

Papillon

The Wind and the Lion

The Boys From Brazil

First Blood

Under Fire

Legend

Explorers

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

The Russia House

The Shadow

and at least 40 other scores...

That last line made me laugh... :D

Yeah, there are just so many JG releases, you don't know where to start. It's a daunting task, collecting JG! I'd say I own 90% of all JW releases (everything post Jaws), around 150 albums, but when it comes to JG, I'm still quite the beginner.

I think Under Fire will be among my next purchases!

I'm not a JG completist, and I don't intend to become one, but I'd be nice to own approximately 30-40 of his best works! 

That still leaves me with 14-24 albums to hunt down! Ah, happy times.

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

Over 100 for sure, never counted

Seriously? 

For some reason I'd never have thought you to own so many JG albums! I remember until a few years ago, you told us you didn't even have Born on the Fourth of July and other essential JW albums! :P

36 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What does iTunes tell you?

I don't use iTunes

11 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Seriously? 

For some reason I'd never have thought you to own so many JG albums! I remember until a few years ago, you told us you didn't even have Born on the Fourth of July and other essential JW albums! :P

I buy every single JW, JG, JH, MG, and DE album the specialty labels put out.

I think I have around 2,000 physical CDs