How many Jerry Goldsmith albums do you own?!

Josh500

8 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Awesome collection!! 

Hmm, in alphabetical order? I keep mine in chronological order....

Thank you! I put them in chronological order once, but alphabetical order just worked better for me at finding things quicker.

22 minutes ago, Johnnyecks said:

Thank you! I put them in chronological order once, but alphabetical order just worked better for me at finding things quicker.

Do you also have Malice and Not Without My Daughter? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So today I again bought some used CDs. All Jerry Goldsmith.

Powder

Forever Young

Hollow Man

Maybe they're not among the maestro's most celebrated works, but I love collecting these old original soundtracks. They are used but in near perfect condition, and were 4,85 Euros each!

Maybe I should have bought Legend too!? That was 14 Euros!

Oh, and I also saw Islands in the Stream? Anybody knows this score?

Except for 'Powder' those are quite good releases for scores ranging from good old-fashioned Hollywood hokum ('Forever Young', scripted by then-infant J. J. Abrams) to a precise and remarkably well-composed thriller score ('Hollow Man', due to Verhoeven it is notches above what Goldsmith usually invested in lame action movies in that late career phase).

If you like 'Powder' you should invest in Intrada's long version because the old 36-minute job oddly misrepresents the score, leaving out important connecting dots so what you end up with is half Barry/Horner impersonations and another half of somewhat limp suspense. The mix comes out better when you add 20 minutes of running time.

5 minutes ago, publicist said:

Except for 'Powder' those are quite good releases for scores ranging from good old-fashioned Hollywood hokum ('Forever Young', scripted by then-infant J. J. Abrams) to a precise and remarkably well-composed thriller score ('Hollow Man', due to Verhoeven it is notches above what Goldsmith usually invested in lame action movies in that late career phase).

If you like 'Powder' you should invest in Intrada's long version because the old 36-minute job oddly misrepresents the score, leaving out important connecting dots so what you end up with is half Barry/Horner impersonations and another half of somewhat limp suspense. The mix comes out better when you add 20 minutes of running time.

What about Legend and Islands? 

Worth getting? These were a bit more expensive, at around 14 Euros.

Unfortunately, Islands is the re-recording and not the original score, which is why I didn't buy it.

But maybe it's still worth getting, as it is still composed and conducted by JG. 

'Legend' is his late magnum opus, essential for any collection (he didn't better it afterwards). 'Islands in the Stream' was a personal favourite of JG, probably because of the Hemingway connection, but while a lot of it is painterly and gentle, the theme itself is somewhat neutral. I wouldn't buy the re-recording, it leaves out a very important piece.

Spotify has the FSM original release:

13 hours ago, Josh500 said:

So today I again bought some used CDs. All Jerry Goldsmith.

Powder

Forever Young

Hollow Man

Maybe they're not among the maestro's most celebrated works, but I love collecting these old original soundtracks. They are used but in near perfect condition, and were 4,85 Euros each!

Maybe I should have bought Legend too!? That was 14 Euros!

Oh, and I also saw Islands in the Stream? Anybody knows this score?

Powder:

Like publicist said the OST does not represent the score well, but the C&C is also very redundant. It's very relaxing, emitional and quiet score, but it's generally a bit overrated by fans. The problem is that there is no development within the score and the main theme - that's why the score gets a bit boring  after a while.

Forever Young:

Great opening cue, mostly very romantic score, unusual style for Goldsmith. No need for a C&C for you. The OST is basically a re-recording, but that's fine.

Hollow Man:

Normally considered to be one of the repetitive action scores, but that's madness! One of the late great scores! Eerie, complex and above all disturbingly violent. The OST contains all cues that need to be on an OST.

Islands in the Stream:

Very subtle drama score, like Papillon. The re-recording is fine, if not better than the original recording.

Legend:

Quintessential! Must be in every Goldsmith collection! One of his most creative, diverse and complex scores. Synths are perfectly used to create a strange fairy tale-like atmosphere. The OST is not acceptable, since the expansion is still a very good listening experience and does not become repetitive or boring. But the worst flaw of the OST is that it does not contain the final essential cue "Darkness Fails".

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Powder:

Like publicist said the OST does not represent the score well, but the C&C is also very redundant. It's very relaxing, emitional and quiet score, but it's generally a bit overrated by fans. The problem is that there is no development within the score and the main theme - that's why the score gets a bit boring  after a while.

Forever Young:

Great opening cue, mostly very romantic score, unusual style for Goldsmith. No need for a C&C for you. The OST is basically a re-recording, but that's fine.

Hollow Man:

Normally considered to be one of the repetitive action scores, but that's madness! One of the late great scores! Eerie, complex and above all disturbingly violent. The OST contains all cues that need to be on an OST.

Islands in the Stream:

Very subtle drama score, like Papillon. The re-recording is fine, if not better than the original recording.

Legend:

Quintessential! Must be in every Goldsmith collection! One of his most creative, diverse and complex scores. Synths are perfectly used to create a strange fairy tale-like atmosphere. The OST is not acceptable, since the expansion is still a very good listening experience and does not become repetitive or boring. But the worst flaw of the OST is that it does not contain the final essential cue "Darkness Fails".

Great review on each, thanks! I'm about to rip them and then start listening and (hopefully) enjoying them.... My motto is this: I'll get the OSTs first, since they're so affordable, and if I like what I hear, I'll try to get ahold of the expansions....

My haul yesterday! :)

_20170925_164002.JPG

I just listened to Hollow Man from start to finish, and I gotta say I'm very impressed! 

This is getting to be one of my new favourite JG scores.... It's basically, Basic Instinct meets Total Recall, but hey, it makes sense! It's like the missing link between these two movies! :D

Now on to Forever Young!

15 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I just listened to Hollow Man from start to finish, and I gotta say I'm very impressed! 

This is getting to be one of my new favourite JG scores.... It's basically, Basic Instinct meets Total Recall, but hey, it makes sense! It's like the missing link between these two movies! :D

Now on to Forever Young!

Well said!

By the way, it looks like you have the expanded Legend. Has it 14 tracks?

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Well said!

By the way, it looks like you have the expanded Legend. Has it 14 tracks?

Yup! 14 tracks.

I just checked out this site... There's 10, 11, 14, and 17 track versions!  WTH! :D

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/1983/Legend

I assume none of these are complete? 

23 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Hollow Man:

It's nothing more or less than his final masterpiece.

I prefer The Haunting.

Also, I think Star Trek: Nemesis is incredibly underrated and a great score if you eliminate some of the repetitive atonal atmospheric material for darkly lit dialogue scenes with a weird bald guy and demons from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's his last masterpiece.

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's nothing more or less than his final masterpiece.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

**Googles to see if Hollow Man came out after The Mummy**

Carry on.

4 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

But... but... it doesn't have five stars on Filmtracks!

4 hours ago, The Doctor said:

I prefer The Haunting.

Also, I think Star Trek: Nemesis is incredibly underrated and a great score if you eliminate some of the repetitive atonal atmospheric material for darkly lit dialogue scenes with a weird bald guy and demons from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's his last masterpiece.

To sum it up: The Mummy, Hollow Man and Star Trek: Nemesis are all great scores, and filmtracks sucks!

Many decisions of filmtracks cannot be understood, indeed. It's primarily Total Recall and Alien that have just 4 stars - very confusing. But at least The 'Burbs and Lionheart have got 5, each.

So I've been listening to Hollow Man for the past 24 hours, and I gotta say I'm blown away! My new Top 5 JG score!

I especially like the Main Theme, it's a masterpiece. The way it conveys so much is really astounding..... Such a passionate, and yet somehow cheated and schizophrenic piece! The thump-thump noise at the beginning seems to mimick the sound of a respirator, as if the patient was barely alive and hanging on to life... And the passionate string melody seems to express unbridled desire marred by wrong temptation and dark fantasies. Also melancholy. And throughout it all, the piece evinces a very strong film nourish feeling.... As if to JG is saying, "This is the story, and no matter how unbelievable it seems, it happened." 

The loud bang and crash at the end seems to have taken inspiration from "Theme from JFK" by colleague John Williams. A beautiful, elegant, melodic piece.... And then the horrible shocking catastrophe. 

Wow!

Wow I'm really impressed by all the praise The Hollow Man is getting in this thread!  It was never on my radar as a noteworthy JG score; it never seemed to get talked about as much as, say, any of his other Verhoeven scores.  Well, I must listen to it immediately now!  I hope its on spotify...

I particularly like the heavy orchestral outbursts that accompany all violent acts. This music epitomizes violence!

More over, when you try playing a few of the themes and motifs on piano, you start noticing that this is not really easy due to many complicated chord progressions.

The movie was saved by the music from coming across as trashy. The finale would just have been laughable, but the highly dramatic music shifts it into another dimension.

10 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I stopped reading filmtracks 10 years ago, when I noticed Presumed Innocent got 5 stars while Phantom Menace only 4 (if I remember correctly).

What I can less understand is, why does Presumed Innocent have 5 stars and Sleepers has 2 starts? The review of the former states how great the depressing effect of the score is, whereas the review of the latter says it does not deserve more stars, as it is too depressing and therefore not a good listening experience.

Also, The Lost World has just 3(!) stars and The Prisoner of Azkaban just 4(!).

Nice!

I just got done listening to Neil's expanded Total Recall on Spotify, and now I just started his Basic Instinct.  After that, I'm going to check out The Hollow Man OST, which is luckily on Spotify too!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow I'm really impressed by all the praise The Hollow Man is getting in this thread!  It was never on my radar as a noteworthy JG score; it never seemed to get talked about as much as, say, any of his other Verhoeven scores.  Well, I must listen to it immediately now!  

Well, Total Recall and Basic Instinct are still better, these are true masterpieces.

But Hollow Man comes close, it has its own undeniable charm.

24 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I particularly like the heavy orchestral outbursts that accompany all violent acts. This music epitomizes violence!

More over, when you try playing a few of the themes and motifs on piano, you start noticing that this is not really easy due to many complicated chord progressions.

The movie was saved by the music from coming across as trashy. The finale would just have been laughable, but the highly dramatic music shifts it into another dimension.

I love Verhoeven. His movies have a unique aspect to them. In the hands of a less talented director, many of them would seem silly or cartoonish or even unintentionally ridiculous, but Verhoeven always manages to keep us on the edge of our seats. The in-your-face out of control violence is one thing. The other is the open sexuality. 

This is movie making on the highest level.

I really wish Goldsmith and Verhoeven had collaborated on more movies.

24 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

What I can less understand is, why does Presumed Innocent have 5 stars and Sleepers has 2 starts? The review of the former states how great the depressing effect of the score is, whereas the review of the latter says it does not deserve more stars, as it is too depressing and therefore not a good listening experience.

Also, The Lost World has just 3(!) stars and The Prisoner of Azkaban just 4(!).

Yeah, like I said, I don't visit that site anymore. There are many other good soundtrack review sites.

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I love Verhoeven. His movies have a unique aspect to them. In the hands of a less talented director, many of them would seem silly or cartoonish or even unintentionally ridiculous, but Verhoeven always manages to keep us on the edge of our seats. The in-your-face out of control violence is one thing. The other is the open sexuality. 

I like Verhoeven sometimes, but Hollow Man is unintentionally ridiculous.  Me and my friends in high school watched a couple of times just take the piss out of it.

Or at least it's ridiculous in a way he didn't intend.  As in it's awful.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow I'm really impressed by all the praise The Hollow Man is getting in this thread!  It was never on my radar as a noteworthy JG score; it never seemed to get talked about as much as, say, any of his other Verhoeven scores.  Well, I must listen to it immediately now!  I hope its on spotify...

It's the best part (*) of an otherwise ho-hum movie.

ISABEL COMES BACK is great, and the score is available as a 5.1 iso, on the DVD. 

(*) it also has the ever-watchable William Devane :) although the sight of a naked Kevin Bacon, I can certainly live without.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I like Verhoeven sometimes, but Hollow Man is unintentionally ridiculous.  Me and my friends in high school watched a couple of times just take the piss out of it.

Or at least it's ridiculous in a way he didn't intend.  As in it's awful.

Well, I disagree.

It's a good movie, nonetheless. It manages to do what it sets out to do. Obviously, this isn't some deep profound philosophical movie on life, it's just a horror/science fiction film that wants to thrill and entertain you. And it doesn't have any pretensions to be anything else. Maybe you don't like it, but I like it a lot (partly of course due to the score)!

Just now, Josh500 said:

Well, I disagree.

It's a good movie, nonetheless. It manages to do what it sets out to do. Obviously, this isn't some deep profound philosophical movie on life, it's just a horror/science fiction film. And it doesn't have say pretensions to be anything else. Maybe you don't like it, but I like it a lot (partly of course due to the score)!

You didn't pick up on Verhoeven's conceit that with consequences removed people abandon the socially held norms of civilisation and become rapists and murderers? 

Its one of his more overtly Catholic films.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

You didn't pick up on Verhoeven's conceit that with consequences removed people abandon the socially held norms of civilisation and become rapists and murderers? 

Its one of his more overtly Catholic films.

Conceit?

Well, that's the message, yes. I didn't say it's a totally mindless horror flick, but then, neither is it a profound piece of art.

8 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Obviously, this isn't some deep profound philosophical movie on life, it's just a horror/science fiction film that wants to thrill and entertain you

You did kinda suggest it was mindless.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Well, I disagree.

It's a good movie, nonetheless. It manages to do what it sets out to do. Obviously, this isn't some deep profound philosophical movie on life, it's just a horror/science fiction film that wants to thrill and entertain you. And it doesn't have any pretensions to be anything else. Maybe you don't like it, but I like it a lot (partly of course due to the score)!

I think the score merits 70% of the film's success. The film would be lost without Goldsmith, since it is mainly dramatic due to the music. I like the film, but I cannot avoid being focused on the only really impressing aspect while wachting it - the music.

Yeah, like I said, I don't visit that site anymore. There are many other good soundtrack review sites.

For example?

I really wish Goldsmith and Verhoeven had collaborated on more movies.

I dunno, Poledouris' Robocop and Starship Troopers are also ace and I wouldn't replace them for anything

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

I dunno, Poledouris' Robocop and Starship Troopers are also ace and I wouldn't replace them for anything

I guess these scores are on my wish list now!

But would you say these are better than Total Recall??? 

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I guess these scores are on my wish list now!

But would you say these are better than Total Recall??? 

I would say Robocop, Total Recall, Basic Instinct, and Starship Troopers are basically all equal masterpieces.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I would say Robocop, Total Recall, Basic Instinct, and Starship Troopers are basically all equal masterpieces.

There's no end to collecting these CDs.... 

Now I gotta have these too! :D Poledouris already impressed me with The Hunt for Red October, which is another powerful score. I guess Jerry Goldsmith's equivalent to this would be The Sum of All Fears or possibly Air Force One. 

51 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

For example?

http://www.soundtrackgeek.com/v2/

You know, Robocop is probably the lesser of those 4 scores.  It's got a great iconic theme and good action music, but the entire score isn't brilliant from start to finish like the other three.  

Starship Troopers is just incredible, though. You'll definitely like it.  Get the 2CD Deluxe Edition, not the OST

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/starship-troopers-the-deluxe-edition