How many Jerry Goldsmith albums do you own?!

Josh500

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I dunno, Poledouris' Robocop and Starship Troopers are also ace and I wouldn't replace them for anything

I wouldn't give a fuck about Robocop if i would have gotten the aborted Verhoeven/Arnie/Goldsmith 'Crusades' project instead. Alas, that coin flipped and on the other side was...'Cutthroat Island'.

Six months ago I had exactly 10 Jerry Goldsmith CDs. Now I have 31. At this rate, I would have the complete collection in, what? 4-5 years? 

But I'm not going that far. I'm a John Williams completist, but not a Jerry Goldsmith completist. At least not yet.

20 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Conan somehow doesn't interest me. 

It's been twenty years since I saw the movies. I barely remember what they're about.

Yes, but we're talking about the music here...

@Josh500 It seems like you get a huge amount of those CDs from a normal store, and nor via internet. Where do you get that? I am asking, because in Germany I don't know where to get soundtracks expect from Amazon, ebay or special soundtrack websites. Since I'm currently in a big city in Canada, I'm perhaps able to get soundtrack CDs from a normal store?

Today I bought 5 CDs (all used, all OST albums). Recently I can't get enough of buying second-hand CDs, it seems. It's a bit addictive. But these were just 22 bucks total.... A bargain! :D

1. Russia House (Jerry Goldsmith) Finally!

2. Starship Troopers (Basil Poledouris)

3. Angie (Jerry Goldsmith)

4. Die Another Day (David Arnold)

5. Mission Impossible (Danny Elfman) the score album, obviously 

All in all, I'm very pleased. I'm especially happy about Russia House since I know the score already and know how fantastic it is.

By the way, does anybody know Loony Tunes the movie or the JG score? Is it good? I considered getting that too....

7 hours ago, Josh500 said:

By the way, does anybody know Loony Tunes the movie or the JG score? Is it good? I considered getting that too....

Buy it! It's a mixture of clichés of every music genre there is. It's so fast paced that you cannot even say, what kind of score it is, since the musical element change all ten seconds! It's just cliché, cliché, allusion, cliché - so much fun. Try listening to it without laughing - nearly impossible! No masterpiece, but incredibly funny.

Haven't seen the movie, but haven't heard anything good of it either.

I thought Looney Tunes: Back In Action was actually an entertaining film, it helps that I was one of the few people who saw it the cinemas when it first came out. Dante didn't have final say in the production though, and it shows. 

The score's loads of fun though, and a fine swan song for Goldsmith. He even briefly references his own Gremlin theme during the Gremlin car scene. 

52 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

The score's loads of fun though, and a fine swan song for Goldsmith. He even briefly references his own Gremlin theme during the Gremlin car scene. 

He quotes a lot more, I think. I have spotted "Magic" for 2 seconds.

Just now, Brundlefly said:

He quotes a lot more, I think. I have spotted "Magic" for 2 seconds.

Probably less quoting and more just short recycling I'd imagine. He wasn't in the best of shape when he composed the score after all.

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Probably less quoting and more just short recycling I'd imagine. He wasn't in the best of shape when he composed the score after all.

It was certainly a short humoristic quote. The score itself does not make you think that he was terribly sick at that time.

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

It was certainly a short humoristic quote. The score itself does not make you think that he was terribly sick at that time.

It doesn't. In fact the score is very lively, which one of its strongest aspects. It's brimming with "fun character".

By the way, what's your opinion of JG's Magic?

Is that one a must-have? I saw both the OST and the expanded release.... The former for 15 Euros, the latter for 25 Euros! 

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

There is no OST release for Magic.

There are two versions in any case. One has more tracks than the other. I saw them.

This is how they look.

hqdefault (1).jpg

Magic-Cover.jpg

I thought of getting the OST (the one with the fewer tracks), yeah.

What's this score like, though? Kinda like Omen or Poltergeist? Or something entirely different? 

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

Nonsense. Each quote in Looney Tunes (and there are indeed a number of them besides the Gremlins theme) was a deliberate in-joke and not a result of lazy recycling at all. I suspect he knew this was his last score and that played into it, but I'd also point out that it was a score for Joe Dante, a big fan of his who often encouraged him to quote iconic earlier scores of his at appropriate times (for example Rambo in Gremlins 2, or Patton in The 'Burbs).

Goldsmith not being in the best of shape did not affect the quality of his writing at all, but it did result in him having to let John Debney finish the picture (the finale in particular). Sadly this left the Varese album with no good conclusion because they chose not to include any of Debney's material so the score has little arc or buildup over its fairly brief length. That's the main reason I hope Varese tackles a Deluxe Edition one day with all of Goldsmith and Debney's contributions to the film in chronological order.

But even in its compromised form, the Varese album is well worth getting (at a reasonable price) for the two epic western-flavored action tracks. Here's the first (the second is maybe even better):

I think the best thing to liken Goldsmith's Looney Tunes score to is John Powell's zany comedy scores -- if you like those you'll like this.

Yavar

8 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

What's this score like, though? Kinda like Omen or Poltergeist? Or something entirely different? 

Neither. Here you can listen to the whole thing:

12 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Nothing like either of those two scores, really. Very unsettling at times though -- that's what it has in common. But also sometimes lovely. Warning: you have to not mind harmonica, though. He uses it extensively to characterize the ventriloquist dummy. This is a great score but you may want to see the film first in order to really appreciate what Goldsmith was doing.

And I'd get the more recent (and in print) LLL issue. It's only one short track longer but a definite improvement on the Varese in terms of packaging IMO (Jim Titus did the design).

Yavar

P.S. to answer the thread question, I've got probably 95% of Goldsmith's output on CD. Well over 150 without duplicating things. (Counting multiple TV scores for the same show as one, i.e. Dr. Kildare). He's my favorite composer so there are only a few rare things I'm missing.

7 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Nonsense. Each quote in Looney Tunes (and there are indeed a number of them besides the Gremlins theme) was a deliberate in-joke and not a result of lazy recycling at all. I suspect he knew this was his last score and that played into it, but I'd also point out that it was a score for Joe Dante, a big fan of his who often encouraged him to quote iconic earlier scores of his at appropriate times (for example Rambo in Gremlins 2, or Patton in The 'Burbs).

Goldsmith not being in the best of shape did not affect the quality of his writing at all, but it did result in him having to let John Debney finish the picture (the finale in particular). Sadly this left the Varese album with no good conclusion because they chose not to include any of Debney's material so the score has little arc or buildup over its fairly brief length. That's the main reason I hope Varese tackles a Deluxe Edition one day with all of Goldsmith and Debney's contributions to the film in chronological order.

Yavar

Oh I know most of them are in-jokes. The Magic call-back just didn't get to me until much later. It seemed a bit odd, but I guess in context it works. 

I know Debney did additional music for the film, and I'd like to hear it to, but I'm fine with the album we got, even if the lack of a "climax and the end" feel is apparent.  

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Josh, what Yavar said.

Personally, I'd say it's a bit of a proto PSYCHO II, but with harmonica. It's a good score from an underrated film. IMO, one of Dickie's best.

7 hours ago, Josh500 said:

One of his finest horror scores which demonstrates his ability of the creative use of instruments. Best compared to The Omen. Both begin with a cozy melody and then it slightly becomes less comfortable. Both have very short distinct cues. The Omen has a choir, Magic has a harmonica.

The difference between the two versions:

The first picture shows us the first official release ever by Varese. It was intended to contain the complete score. However, 20 seconds are still missing.

The second photo is the re-release by LLL. The only difference is that it is remastered, a new artwork (obviously), new liner notes and most importantly the 20 seconds that make it really complete (Track 2 "We Are Gonna Be a Star"). Unlike the Varese release this version is not OOP.

If you wanna get one of them, take the LLL version. The program is almost the same, it is still in print, the liner notes and the master is better and if you should once become a JG completist, you wouldn't need an upgrade. Buying the Varese edition just because you are no JG completist does not really make sense. It's just 20 seconds less music. The rest is exactly the same.

So today I went a little crazy and bought 12 CDs, all second hand. Set me back around 80 Euros. I was really hoping to find Robocop, but I didn't, alas. Out of these 12 CDs, 6 are from Jerry Goldsmith! As a novice JG collector, I gotta constantly add to my collection! :)

1. Magic

2. Looney Tunes 

3. Star Trek: First Contact 

4. Star Trek: Nemesis 

5. City Hall

6. Rio Conchos 

The last two I only picked up because they were just 4 Euros each!

The others are:

The Jungle Book (Basil Poledouris)

Les Miserables (Basil Poledouris)

Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves (Michael Kamen)

The Three Musketeers (Michael Kamen)

Braveheart (James Horner)

The Pink Panther (Henry Mancini)

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

If you wanna get one of them, take the LLL version. The program is almost the same, it is still in print, the liner notes and the master is better and if you should once become a JG completist, you wouldn't need an upgrade. Buying the Varese edition just because you are no JG completist does not really make sense. It's just 20 seconds less music. The rest is exactly the same.

I'll keep that in mind, thank you!

But I'm really a collector of OST albums. And I just got the OST of Magic. If I like what I hear, I'll get the expanded release too!

10 hours ago, Josh500 said:

But I'm really a collector of OST albums. And I just got the OST of Magic. If I like what I hear, I'll get the expanded release too!

There is no OST of Magic. It's a complete release that wasn't still not completely complete, for some reason.