John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

Yea, I have a feeling the second season will be even better than the first.  It took them half a season just to find their groove

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Sure, because the "general public" doesn't know what they are talking about, since they don't know anything, right?

Now you know I don't agree with that kind of elitist thinking.  But film critics are not the general public, they should have some in depth knowledge of what they critique.  And while they sometimes seem to about other aspects of film, score references tend to be pretty amateurish.  

20 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Might have to check it out then. Better show than Star Trek Into Darkness Discovery?

I haven't watched Discovery, but the general consensus I've seen online is that most everyone who watched both prefers The Orville.

3 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Augie's Great Municipal Band, clearly a diegetic piece (even the title suggests such), is the Emperor’s Theme.

I don't think we ever had confirmation (or denial, for that matter) that it was indeed Williams' intent.

But nevertheless its been rendered in a style that's much more fitting of the kind of diegetic music of that world. A straightforward statement of the Imperial March won't be nearly as effective.

Hopefully this interview finally puts an end to the discussion that Williams intruded on Powell.  William was part of this from the beginning (even with the previous directors) and Powell says he loved working with Williams (though I am sure some around here will claim he is lying). 

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I don't think we ever had confirmation (or denial, for that matter) that it was indeed Williams' intent.

But nevertheless its been rendered in a style that's much more fitting of the kind of diegetic music of that world. A straightforward statement of the Imperial March won't be nearly as effective.

But we don't know it's straightforward, do we?

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Finally, an interview from a competent person

I was correct with this assumption.  An excellent, excellent interview.  He confirms the 2 different melodic strands of Williams' "Adventures of Han."  The heroic theme and the "Longing of Han" or "Searching" theme.

The interviewer who does all interviews at Film Music Media is really great. Unlike many other interviewers he really knows what he's talking about and asks relevant questions! I would like him to interview JW, Zimmer and JNH in the future!

FYI, Jeff Bond did an exceptional Williams interview in FSM in 2002...Williams at one point even somewhat irritatedly pointing out to him how above the norm Bond's question were!

Why does the inset start by saying 2002 was his most prolific year since 1989, when he composed 4 scores in 1997?

23 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

So...who wants to start a JPfan forum with me? :D

Hopefully it’s easier to navigate than mgfan.com

So I'm not seeing an option on Amazon for release-date delivery. Is that only available for certain items? I ordered TLJ from them and got it the day it came out, and would love to have this score arrive on release day as well. Anyone else here ordering the score online?

9 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

John Williams: Hey, no fair! Why does Powell get the character cover while my soundtrack covers are just the title?

And Giacchino.

Rogue One score also has a cover illustrated with characters.

Hey! Williams has like 6 covers (ep. I - VI) of these!

11 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

What are you guys paying for the soundtrack in other countries, if you are buying it? I found a deal for $13.88 Canadian. 

Amazon.co.uk have each for £5.99:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Hope-John-Williams/dp/B075VNP551/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1526815146&sr=1-1&keywords=star+wars+a+new+hope