John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

29 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

I'm still in college and I don't yet have the disposable income to pick up every release I find interesting. Solo is a special occasion because it might encourage more releases in the future.

So... So this isn't going to end when us old timers die? That's so good to know!

(When I was in college I spent an unreasonable amount of money on CDs and probably not quite enough on food.)

Cool news! I'll buy a copy even if it's the same thing, because I like to get physical....with music. 

I'm not getting my hopes up that the Williams demos will be there, but I can dream at least. 

The digital release has the whole score as it appears in the film. There's nothing more that could get me to want to spend money on these. 

Plus physical CD's just take up space. 

21 hours ago, MrJosh said:

Cool news! I'll buy a copy even if it's the same thing, because I like to get physical....with music. 

I'm not getting my hopes up that the Williams demos will be there, but I can dream at least. 

I bet they can't be released for the same reason they couldn't use those recordings in the film itself.

Karol

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I bet they can't be released for the same reason they couldn't use those recordings in the film itself.

Karol

I thought they weren't used in the film because they were just intended as demos for Powell hear examples of utilizing the theme itself, and then Powell could incorporate into his own writing as he saw fit. Maybe I have that wrong.

7 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

I thought they weren't used in the film because they were just intended as demos for Powell to then utilize and incorporate into his own writing as he saw fit. Maybe I have that wrong.

Yes, you are right. Technically. Although, Powell did mention something about there being no possibility of using them anyway even if they wanted to. 

Karol

8 minutes ago, scallenger said:

Ah!  I'm an instagram newb and didn't realize the big Plus symbol with a circle around it caused more comments to fill in :pat:

Here's a direct link to his reply to you :) https://www.instagram.com/p/CpImd-av2qO/c/18054028486391865/r/17974058699122301/

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

About 27 minutes in:

But then, I might be reading too much into this.

Karol

No, you're right.  What he says is clear and makes sense.  Every bit of music recorded with AFM musicians would have had to have fees paid, so they probably made a special deal to only have the theme arrangement used in the film, and only in the end credits.

So the actual "scoring" of the film is all London, and the end credits contains a licensed piece of music from another source.

Well, knowing the content will be the same as the digital release, the only thing I can think of to make the demo cues happen would be some kind of bonus Star Wars disc in 2033 when the 9 scores are expanded, like a disc that has Galaxy's Edge (plus the bits of William Ross stuff for the attractions), Solo + demos, Obi-Wan plus demos (and maybe any more William Ross music?). 

43 minutes ago, scallenger said:

Powell just responded to my comment if the CDs would have the same content as the digital release, and he said: Yes!

This had to be expected!

Now I'm wondering if we'll get exclusive liner notes on this release?  :)

An FSM user once posted that some kind of digital booklet was supposedly posted back in 2020 then quickly removed, but I never saw it

He might have just been confused about that credits page Powell uploaded (which was never removed, so who knows)

Interesting! I suspect Intrada will do some work on the packaging too. I remember they did themselves the back cover of "The Call Of The Wild" CD, I guess we'll get something similar for Solo.

Just like with CotW, since I already bought it digitally I have no real motivation to buy it physically for more with the same content. But promising news indeed!

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Just like with CotW, since I already bought it digitally I have no real motivation to buy it physically for more with the same content. But promising news indeed!

You just don't want another Intrada CD cover in your collection if you can help it ;)

9 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

This means that if they release rogue one it will also the same faulty program…

Apart from the Bazaars Of Jedha cue missing was there anything else faulty about it?

18 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Apart from the Bazaars Of Jedha cue missing was there anything else faulty about it?

Well, the WIlliams material in end credits is missing which makes it very choppy and awkward. One of the action cues towards the end ends quite abruptly and a couple of tracks feature extended silence (like 20 seconds). So bit of a mess really.

Karol

52 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Well, the WIlliams material in end credits is missing which makes it very choppy and awkward. One of the action cues towards the end ends quite abruptly and a couple of tracks feature extended silence (like 20 seconds). So bit of a mess really.

Karol

Ah yes the Williams bits can't believe I forgot those. Not sure which cue ends abruptly though. Isn't the first half of Antenna Alignment alternate missing (presumably because the ending was the only new part)? And the 20 seconds of silence wasn't that where the missing cue went?

55 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Ah yes the Williams bits can't believe I forgot those. Not sure which cue ends abruptly though. Isn't the first half of Antenna Alignment alternate missing (presumably because the ending was the only new part)? And the 20 seconds of silence wasn't that where the missing cue went?

No, there another two tracks earlier in the score and the silence occurs in the middle of those.

Karol

3 hours ago, Jay said:

One little bit in the score I really like is in the cue "Conveyex", when a fun percussion-based rhythm comes in and plays for a few measures before the Imperial theme from the first Star Wars movie plays on top if it.  It's so much better than just leading into a straightforward performance of that theme, the percussion really is an inspired and fun choice that gets me every time.  I find myself anticipating the arrival of the Imperial theme, which is great

@ 3:27 (for some reason the play button isn't going directly there)

https://i.giphy.com/media/ujTVMASREzuRbH6zy5/giphy.webp

I said it before. For me Powell uses too much percussion in such scores, as if he doesn't trust into the power of a full orchestra of melody instruments. Instead of just setting punctual accents he uses the drums like in a rock band. But that's an issue that I have with many young composers.

I see what you're saying overall, and sometimes when listening to Powell I wonder why there's so much drumming, but for whatever reason for me it all feels right in Solo

As I said, I don't like the drums. But the score has just such brillant musical moments and ideas, that I take it here. It is just still the greatest non-Williams Star Wars score.

And not only because it is in fact not completely a non-Williams Star Wars score. :)

I don't mind the drums. Wouldn't want them in every score but I think they're a valid inclusion.

The only thing I truly dislike in this score is Powell's over-caffeinated approach to the Star Wars main theme. It just sounds cheesy at that speed, and not in a good way.

I also found the Williams quotes in Reminiscence Therapy to be awkward at first, but I've gotten used to the transitions. It helps that the performance and recording are so fantastic.

That cue (TIE Chase) is the only cue in the entire score I don't love.  I can't get used to some of those transitions.  I want to try to make an edit that omits the music from the original trilogy

1 hour ago, Datameister said:

The only thing I truly dislike in this score is Powell's over-caffeinated approach to the Star Wars main theme. It just sounds cheesy at that speed, and not in a good way.

I don't mind the speed. But I passionately dislike the usage of the main theme when they approach the Falcon for the first time. If this would have been a sequel to RotJ, then it would make sense to give a reminder of the Falcon's OT history. But OT is here the future. So, from a storytelling perspective this quote made no sense. It was rather like breaking the fourth wall and addressing directly to the audience, "Remember? That ship was in Star Wars!" And that in a quite unoriginal way.

I loved how Williams gave his nod to the OT in the actual sequel when we first see the Falcon with the brief quote of the rebel fanfare. There it made sense because that was the future and there was actually something to remember.

Yea I don't understand why Luke's theme appeared in that cue either

It could have been a director's / producer's request and something Powell didn't want to do personally

1 hour ago, Loert said:

JP has quite a distinctive use of percussion, and it's become very much part of his style. I think it would be a mistake to group him with other composers who really do just add a basic drum loop to make up for their lack of orchestration ability. Rather, Powell's percussion is quite intelligently written and constantly adapts to the orchestra, and almost always feels like it adds some value (to me at least). E.g. It's clear to me that the four-to-the-floor in the excerpt Jay posted "plays off" the crazy staccato trumpets and violins - one would't work without the other.

Anyway, JP obviously has a thing for percussion (Horton Hears A Who, Robots etc.) and I remember in an interview he once did that he mentioned how he used to listen to a lot of vinyls of world/tribal music as a student. (I think the question was actually in relation to his use of percussion).

But I can understand why some people would be put off by it. For one, when I ever write for orchestra I know I would never do this sort of percussion because it would likely come off as cheesy.

By the way, the first time I ever actually listened to How To Train Your Dragon was when I heard the first few seconds of Test Drive, and I remember thinking "Eurgh, electric guitar and those awkward drums...? I'll pass" I didn't come back to the soundtrack until about a year later, and now it's one of my favourite scores (though not because of the percussion, mind you :D )

I adore single tracks from HTTYD, but when I put on the OST I have to switch off after some time, because the drums annoy me. It's nothing that works for me, when I just want to listen to orchestral music.

I might be remembering it (slightly) wrong but I think Powell decided to use Luke's theme as a "destiny" theme. Great things to come...type of a thing.

Karol

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

It could have been a director's / producer's request and something Powell didn't want to do personally

Right. That seemed quite much like the producers' approach to Star Wars at Disney at that time. Nostalgia. Nostalgia. Nostalgia.

2 hours ago, Datameister said:

What part are you referring to?