John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

1 hour ago, publicist said:

And? Nobody ever claimed JW said 'fuck the tosser' or anything. The 'positive and constructive' way of saying it is 'well, this sure was different than i would have done. Please hire Desplat or Powell if you want better*ahemm* different music'. Result? About the same.

Exactly. yes.gif

1 hour ago, publicist said:

See above. No one except some touchy people here ever suggested Williams expressed himself in an unpolite or uncollegial way. But if the score didn't sit too well with him, what people expect him to do? 

Who knows whether the score did or did not sit well with him? dunno.gif

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

I don't know, politeness? If you can't say anything nice...etc. etc.

Yeah, yeah. I know, let's get real this is Hollywood, and even Williams is player and won't hesitate to speak his mind. I believe that. But I think even if this gossip is true, there is the possibility for nuance, and that whoever is reporting it wasn't privy to whatever was said in context.

"I enjoyed listening to Michael's score for Star Wars. He made some choices I would not have and maybe used my themes in ways I didn't intend, but it's difficult to build on someone else's work, especially on a tight schedule. I'm sure given another chance he'll do better"

vs.

"I didn't appreciate what Giacchino did with my music in that film. It's as if he doesn't understand it at all. Do what you wish, Kathy, but I think he may be unsuited for Star Wars."

In one case he's a nice person using some discretion, in another he's a prick throwing a colleague under the bus (if not blackballing him). Who knows what Williams actually said, if anything. Two people could have heard the exact same conversation and came away with different impressions. And if the information is coming second hand, all bets are off.

Exactly. me.gif

27 minutes ago, crocodile said:

He might have simply said "shall we try something/someone different for the next film?" for all we know. We don't even know if he said anything at all or whether the person who claims to have heard it simply interprets it as such and such. We really know nothing beyond the fact he recommended a couple of composers for the job.

Going back to Powell... almost finished listening to Ferdinand and can see why he's a good candidate to do the job. The score isn't one of his greatest works and doesn't necessarily establish any memorable thematic material as such (it's fine) but it's very solid piece of music nonetheless.

Karol

Exactly. woot.gif

Yep, I just quoted three posts just to reply with "exactly". I admit that is a bit silly, but they're all very fair points that I thoroughly agree with.

And at least I managed to shake things up using different smileys! razz.gif

In the end, it all comes down to Chinese whispers, I think.

When playing that game, the message at the end could be similar to the original one.

Or it could be wildly out of whack. As Willie Scott might say: "Anything Goes"!

• 2 months later...

I thought Giacchino was the pun guy, not Powell...heck, Powell can get fairly creative with cue titles considering he has to split up his scores into 34 freakin' tracks to save on choir fees. Or whatever that business was about. Something like that. 

More cue titles released (not)-

The Lando Landing Latform

The Vulture and the Falcon

Smuggler's Song (sung by Andrea Bocelli)

Macrh of the Droids

Solo Stands Alone

Imperial Idiocy

Hey Look, Vader!

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Muad'Dib said:

The end sounds too synthy.

Synthy versions of Powell music has been used in ads before. HTTYD2 for example.

Wow thats so Powell alright, especially the cantina music (the forbidden friendship-like melody). Well the theme at the end also sounds Powell ( Powell's theme always sound melancholy rhythm-wise, or how do you put it, as powell said,"over-written" (in a really good way of course)).

(but hey almost all Bergensen's TSFH music sounds Powell-y, so i could be wrong)