John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

19 hours ago, Miz said:

Anyone else spotted the riff from Chicken in the Pot in Spaceport?

Where?

• 2 weeks later...

1. The Adventures Of Han (3:47) 
    John Williams

2. Meet Han (2:18) 
    John Powell

3. Corellia Chase (3:32) 
    John Powell, Batu Sener

4. Spaceport (4:05) 
    John Powell

5. Flying With Chewie (3:28) 
    John Powell

6. Train Heist (4:46) 
    John Powell

7. Marauders Arrive (5:13) 
    John Powell

8. Chicken In The Pot (2:07) 
    John Powell

9. Is This Seat Taken? (2:34) 
    John Powell

10. L3 & Millennium Falcon (3:15) 
      John Powell

11. Lando's Closet (2:11) 
      John Powell, Anthony B. Willis

12. Mine Mission (4:09) 
      John Powell

13. Break Out (6:13) 
      John Powell

14. The Good Guy (5:23) 

15. Reminiscence Therapy (6:11) 
      John Powell

16. Into The Maw (4:47) 
      John Powell, Batu Sener

17. Savareen Stand-Off (4:24) 
      John Powell

18. Good Thing You Were Listening (2:06) 
      John Powell

19. Testing Allegiance (4:19) 
      John Powell

20. Dice & Roll (1:54) 
      John Powell, John Williams

Full writing credit!

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/index.php?rub=disco&id=1630

As the admin said,"I didn't credit here JW for every arrangements of his theme & old SW themes that can be heard throughout the score."

-----

Anyway, im quite surprised that JP uitilized little to none his ghostwriters IN THE ALBUM cues ( i suppose the unreleased 40+ minutes of unreleased tracks, a music ,as Powell said "didnt even bother to write", is mostly his ghostwriters's). This shows how really excited (and idealist) Powell was to do this job.

But Williams also credited as the main co-writer in the last cue is quite confusing though.

And also quite surprised Lando's Closet is not purely SOLO Powell

14 minutes ago, PrayodiBA said:

But Williams also credited as the main co-writer in the last cue is quite confusing though.

There is some speculation here that the variation of Han's heroic theme in "Dice and Roll" was Williams' and just didn't appear in the final version of the suite. So that could be why, 

Hmm, didn't realize Powell still used additional writers (not ghost per se since they're credited) so much. Several of the scores' top cues apparently weren't just him. 

IIRC, Powell said in a couple interviews that Williams also scored a couple "cues"—as in, he didn't only write "The Adventures of Han". My guess (as has been since I first heard the track) is that 1:10 till the end of "Dice & Roll" is pure Williams.

3 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

So who quoted Puccini then, Powell or Willis?  Or both?  Lando's Closet is the best track on the album!

Well, seeing as Powell probably created the theme itself, I would say Powell "quoted" Puccini, and Willis quoted Powell. ;)

And of course a brief passage towards the end of Reminiscence Therapy also seems like some Williams to me.

14 minutes ago, fommes said:

First half of Mine Mission sounds most like Williams, or at least a very good pastiche. The Powell sound kicks in later into the track.

It is entirely based on Powell's theme though.

Karol

Awesome!! (and I can't even read music haha). By far my favorite cue from this score. Swashbuckling and wildly complex. Particularly the stuff from bar 68 is just stunning. Those soaring, romantic string lines with Han's theme on horn in counterpoint and wild trumpet triplets over top.. 😍

This is the moment I'm referring to on the OST btw:

Judging by the Facebook comments, I'm not the only one who was stunned by this moment! 

One thing for future viewers of this thread: Looks like the score video doesn't embed properly, but if you just click "Watch on Facebook" you'll be able to watch it. 

I love how Powell keeps up the tradition of not being ashamed to use completely bonkers over-the-top excess for the heck of it, in the vein of the likes of Temple of Doom.

On July 12, 2018 at 4:05 PM, kaseykockroach said:
  Reveal hidden contents

On July 12, 2018 at 4:50 PM, crocodile said:
  Reveal hidden contents

On 7/21/2018 at 1:44 PM, PrayodiBA said:

1. The Adventures Of Han (3:47) 
    John Williams

2. Meet Han (2:18) 
    John Powell

3. Corellia Chase (3:32) 
    John Powell, Batu Sener

4. Spaceport (4:05) 
    John Powell

5. Flying With Chewie (3:28) 
    John Powell

6. Train Heist (4:46) 
    John Powell

7. Marauders Arrive (5:13) 
    John Powell

8. Chicken In The Pot (2:07) 
    John Powell

9. Is This Seat Taken? (2:34) 
    John Powell

10. L3 & Millennium Falcon (3:15) 
      John Powell

11. Lando's Closet (2:11) 

12. Mine Mission (4:09) 
      John Powell

13. Break Out (6:13) 
      John Powell

14. The Good Guy (5:23) 

15. Reminiscence Therapy (6:11) 
      John Powell

16. Into The Maw (4:47) 
      John Powell, Batu Sener

17. Savareen Stand-Off (4:24) 
      John Powell

18. Good Thing You Were Listening (2:06) 
      John Powell

19. Testing Allegiance (4:19) 
      John Powell

20. Dice & Roll (1:54) 
      John Powell, John Williams

Full writing credit!

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/index.php?rub=disco&id=1630

that pretty much makes it official to me

Only Williams can write an ending like that

for the theme in the first half in Mine Mission, Powell wrote the cue but Williams probably gave him the idea for the motif because he wrote other similar ones(Jurassic Park Jeep motif...)

On 7/26/2018 at 11:00 PM, King Mark said:

for the theme in the first half in Mine Mission, Powell wrote the cue but Williams probably gave him the idea for the motif because he wrote other similar ones(Jurassic Park Jeep motif...)

You mean L3's theme? Powell wrote that...

I'm surprised the passage towards the end of Reminiscence therapy isn't credited to Williams. I always imagined this is one of those two-three Williams sketches that ended up in the film.

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I'm surprised the passage towards the end of Reminiscence therapy isn't credited to Williams. I always imagined this is one of those two-three Williams sketches that ended up in the film.

It definitely sounds close to Williams, like even in the way the double bass is handled:

Still, I don't think it's "creepy" enough harmonically to be Williams...and I'm not sure Williams would use a women's choir like that in the background. This is just speculation of course. :)

40 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It is based on L3 theme again so it can't be Williams. I meant the action passages earlier 3:45-4:48.

Karol

Yes!  I was thinking this section sounded extremely like Williams.  I suppose it quotes the concert piece extensively, but it's different enough that I just figured it might be an alternate version Williams sketched out that was incorporated into the film.  Or something along those lines.

9 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

Yes!  I was thinking this section sounded extremely like Williams.  I suppose it quotes the concert piece extensively, but it's different enough that I just figured it might be an alternate version Williams sketched out that was incorporated into the film.  Or something along those lines.

Well Powell did say some fragments of what Williams wrote after seeing the film were actually used. So it makes sense.

Karol

14 hours ago, crocodile said:

It is based on L3 theme again so it can't be Williams.

Oh duh. Of course. :D

Well, the Williams-themed bits in the section you mentioned do sound like they might have originated from Williams' hand rather than Powell's, a variation in the way Taikomichi says. Though, it's not as clear cut as the ending of Dice and Roll for instance, which, although it's a variation of TAOH, is different enough to be certainly Williams, whereas in this case it sounds close enough to the original that it may be largely a copy/paste job by Powell. The bit at 4:04 sounds almost certainly Powell though.

14 hours ago, crocodile said:

It is based on L3 theme again so it can't be Williams. I meant the action passages earlier 3:45-4:48.

Karol

It's so balls to the wall zany and extroverted, I hope Williams is still writing stuff like that.

On 7/11/2018 at 2:50 AM, Falafel said:

Where?

1:27 in the woodwind, then 1:35 in the strings...both motifs from Chicken in the Pot.

I haven't read on this page of the thread the spoilered theories as to why this is here - I haven't seen the movie yet!

15 hours ago, Miz said:

1:27 in the woodwind, then 1:35 in the strings...both motifs from Chicken in the Pot.

I haven't read on this page of the thread the spoilered theories as to why this is here - I haven't seen the movie yet!

Isn't that the love theme?

Would be great if JW could record something in London while he’s there. The sound quality on this album is so good, way better than LA.

2 hours ago, Bofur01 said:

Found a comment on one of John Powell's FB posts, saying a Chewie's theme concert arrangement would be nice, to which JP replied "Got other plans for a suite. Stay tuned!"

So that sounds hopeful!

Interesting. I would love for JP to record a concert suite that includes his own concert version of The Adventures of Han. He seems to understand the strengths of that theme inside and out.

• 2 weeks later...

It sucks there's a weird fadeout at the end of Dice and Roll and ends the OST very badly. I'm sure it wasn't recorded that way

i just bought the physical c.d. since it does contain one proper Williams track

My girlfriend (before she had to move out of state) was a bisexual and polyamorous, and I'm online friends with several bi/homo folks. 

Also, I still freaking love Chewie's theme at 0:40 of Break Out