John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

I tried to rip some of my favourite unreleased cues, its very hard, made worse by the fact that Solo's score is the worst of the SWbunch in term of its mixing.

The result is still quite bad tbh, but it makes you eager for the FYC album

Well here you go:

Damn, I thought the end credits suite was supposed to be a mostly original composition, but it's just editorially created ala Mischief Managed. Barely 20 seconds worth of score that isn't already on the OST (albeit a really nice rendition of JW's Han A Theme, which I presume is an alternate for Flying With Chewie or another cue in the film... haven't watched it yet). There's an alternate of Lando's Closet as well.

But yeah, seems the traditional End Credits fanfare is the last recorded cue of the score, chronologically -- hence the OST ending with Dice & Roll, because it makes no sense to include the End Credits fanfare by itself.

So I guess Giacchino deserves some credit for going the extra mile with concert suites on Rogue One, which comprised that film's end credits. I just greedily wish Powell had done these with his themes because they're superb. He absolutely nailed writing in the SW vein (while maintaining his own unique voice) and the orchestra did a marvelous job performing the score... as did Murphy recording it!

That didn't occur to me! Maybe there were legal issues including an LA recorded piece in the film mix, which was otherwise a London recorded score? Modern union regulations and all that legal crap. Rules are probably different for soundtrack releases. Maybe LA musicians get paid different rates depending on whether a piece they're recording is destined for use in a feature film or simply included on a CD release?

That said, it clearly wasn't an issue for the reverse situation with TFA's LA recorded score, using that segment of Burning Homestead performed by the LSO. 😵

https://www.starwars.com/news/solo-a-star-wars-story-composer-john-powell

Just found a neat article about John Powell's approach to scoring Solo.

EDIT: 

See Falafel's post.

5 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

https://www.starwars.com/news/solo-a-star-wars-story-composer-john-powell

Just found a neat article about John Powell's approach to scoring Solo.

On 9/10/2018 at 4:37 PM, Falafel said:

@Manakin Skywalker I'll be checking your channel then! Thanks!

P.S. Your Rogue One rips are awesome. Best ones I can find! Of course a complete recordings release from Disney would be ideal...

Not sure if this has been posted, but Powell sometimes posts videos of his Logic Pro sequencing of tracks on Apple Music. Here's Flying with Chewie: 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/post/sa.af3f4990-9684-11e8-a49d-ba4096410852

1 hour ago, Blumenkohl said:

Not sure if this has been posted, but Powell sometimes posts videos of his Logic Pro sequencing of tracks on Apple Music. Here's Flying with Chewie: 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/post/sa.af3f4990-9684-11e8-a49d-ba4096410852

What are you doing in General Discussion? 

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

What else am I missing?

Isn't there a second bit of source on Dryden's yacht after Han and Qi'ra reunite? Also the male vocal version of Chicken in the Pot? Nothing else that I can remember that you don't seem to have already ripped. I've not looked into to it, but are the OST tracks edited/missing sections?

Also, here's all of the cue titles I've come across:

Meet Han (Hustler's Theme) [James Gaither]

1m4­-5 Corellia Chase

2m13 Chewie Untamed

2M16A Conveyex

2m16B Enfys Nest Arrives [Batu Sener]

4m30B Mines Pt.2: Finding Coaxium

Unsorted

The Millineum Falcon [James Gaither]

L3-37 Back [James Gaither]

Lando's Theme [James Gaither]

Qi'ra's Theme [James Gaither]

Possibly just OST titles

Flying with Chewie [James Gaither]

Train Heist [James Gaither]

Reminiscence Therapy

The Good Guy [James Gaither]

25 minutes ago, CGCJ said:

I've not looked into to it, but are the OST tracks edited/missing sections? 

I know Train Heist is missing an insert (the film version of the coaxium reveal).

I'm surprised by how little unreleased music there seems to be.

41 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm surprised by how little unreleased music there seems to be.

I'm sure I saw somewhere John Powell mentioned there's about 40 minutes not included on the OST. You've only posted about 31 minutes. Perhaps the remainder is alternates and deleted scenes or is there still some cues you've missed? I know there's the short Empire recruitment holo source, which is an arrangement of the Imperial March, but is there anything else?

Looking at your "Double-Cross" track it seems you've missed out a part that is available, the bit at 03:57-04:38 is definitely the last 45 seconds of "The Good Guy" on the OST.

31 minutes ago, CGCJ said:

Looking at your "Double-Cross" track it seems you've missed out a part that is available, the bit at 03:57-04:38 is definitely the last 45 seconds of "The Good Guy" on the OST.

Haha I literally just noticed that minutes before I read your comment. I removed the video just before coming here. Not sure how I missed that.

I'm sure that there is more music that I just haven't noticed yet. I'm not quite as familiar with Solo as I am with other Star Wars scores, so it's taking me a little longer to discern what and what isn't released. 

On 9/12/2018 at 10:16 PM, Holko said:

Love theme right after Meet Han

Rearranged Imperial March source in recruitment ad

Han's Theme transitioning into Imperial March as we cut to Mimban 3 years later - Got it, Mimban Battle Part 1

Early Crew theme variant with an interesting tempo as Beckett sends Han to Chewie - Got it, Han the Deserter

Chewie in the mud is bubbling goofy fun - Got it, The Mud Pit parts

Segment snipped from Marauders Arrive for the probes pinning Val down

Sorry I Punched You in the Face - featuring Crew on harp, some Han and a big Crimson Dawn statement - Got it, Dryden's Yacht

Film version of Chicken in the Pot messes up the double female harmony and is terrible

Love theme variations for reuniting with Qi'ra

A cha-cha-cha source with steel drums and whistling

I Know a Guy is nice

Actual Is This Seat Taken? with electric guitar rythm

Going to Hyperspace - glorious Han A with sleighbells

The Maelstrom is calm and sweet

Arrival at Kessel - sneaky, heisty percussion and synth, Luke's Theme on celeste(?) - Got it, Kessel Arrival

The beginning of the Kessel action right before Mine Mission - Got it, Break In

Segment snipped from Mine Mission

Han vs. Dryden vs. Qi'ra, mostly percussion with some orchestral support - Got it, The Final Duel

Source for the final card game

End Credits variant of Han A, possible alternate of Flying With Chewie?

Here's my updated wishlist, hope it helps.

Definitely one of my favorite bits of the score. There was another little variation of Han's theme that I loved that I don't think is on the OST, believe it was right after the train heist when Beckett, Han, Chewie are talking before they head to Paul Bettany. Just remember a really nice atmospheric solo trumpet thing with the three of them on that mountain. Wonder if anyone knows what I'm yakking about. 

Would be nice if Disney puts out some of this stuff on their FYC site, I worry they'll just kinda drop it from their online awards promos like they did with BFG (iirc).

Just now, mrbellamy said:

Definitely one of my favorite bits of the score. There was another little variation of Han's theme that I loved that I don't think is on the OST, believe it was right after the train heist when Beckett, Han, Chewie are talking before they head to Paul Bettany. Just remember a really nice atmospheric solo trumpet thing with the three of them on that mountain. Wonder if anyone knows what I'm yakking about. 

It's in Manakin's track "Dryden's Yacht".