John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018) - Deluxe Edition 2020 / Intrada 2-CD edition October 31, 2023

crocodile

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I do find it interesting that LLL never pursued a JP3 expansion, even 4 years after the JP/TLW set... given their close ties to Williams and his management.

MV mentioned they would like to do it.

Karol

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I do find it interesting that LLL never pursued a JP3 expansion, even 4 years after the JP/TLW set... given their close ties to Williams and his management.

I dunno, for me it's hard to believe that, even almost 20 years after JP3 Williams is still pissed with Davis, so much so that if LLL did an expansion, it would anger him. 

Williams never seemed to me like a particularly bitter or vindictive person. He may be protective of his own work, yes, but to this point... He would be a very mean and paltry person.

Also, two years after JP3 Davis scored two of the biggest blockbusters of that year, Reloaded and Revolutions. After that, yes, he moved to the classical world and scored only stuff nobody saw, but I don't think Williams had anything to do with it. Maybe it's the changing of the industry, which these days prefer composers like Ludwig Gorannsoon than Davis, but anyway, I don't picture Williams going to every major producer in LA, telling them that if they hire Davis, he would leak to the press their sex scandals (although this is a funny thought).

On the other hand... Has anybody seen what Nicholas Hooper is up too these days?

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Maybe it's the changing of the industry, which these days prefer composers like Ludwig Gorannsoon than Davis, but anyway, I don't picture Williams going to every major producer in LA, telling them that if they hire Davis, he would leak to the press their sex scandals (although this is a funny thought).

Nobody suggested such bs, it's more like preemptive obedience, i. e. LLL will not risk raised eyebrows when they release a score everyone fears Williams has issues with. You guys often make mountains out of molehills, really.

Yeah, but it is funny the image of Williams threatening to leak to the press and the police embarassing photos of people who dares considering hiring Don Davis, Nicholas Hooper, etc.

The Matrix 4 will come out in 2021, and if the Wachowskis chose to go with Giacchino instead of Davis, I'll be very pissed.

5 hours ago, Arpy said:

I don't know why Lucasfilm/Disney haven't hired you @ocelot clearly, you know exactly what to do and what to write. ;)

LOL watch me Fail! I wouldn’t try to even go there because I don’t measure up to an ounce of what that man can do harmonically :) I’m happy with what I accomplish myself though! 

OK saying that Williams didn’t like something is one thing, no one is saying he’s stopping releases or making people not work lol. WTF 😂

16 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I thought Davis' absence from Hollywood had something to do with him spending ages on Rio De Sangre and being out of the film world for too long.

That's my understanding as well.

Karol

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I thought Davis' absence from Hollywood had something to do with him spending ages on Rio De Sangre and being out of the film world for too long.

Probably is

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I re-watched the movie last night (which was better than I remembered) and there is SO MUCH good unreleased music in there. In fact I don't think there is a single bad cue in there. Pity you can barely hear some of it.

Karol

Yep, even the incredible action pieces are mixed low and under sound effects. 

if anyone is interested: Don Davis will be conducting the Royal Philharmonic live alongside a screening of the first 'Matrix' at London's Royal Albert Hall in October, as part of the RAH Films with Live Orchestra series. I'm so excited to see this. 

there are still tonnes of tickets for sale: https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2020/the-matrix-live/

I do wonder what Williams thinks about the dubbing and editing of many of his scores. Knowing his perfectionism it must be maddening to hear what they have to do to conform to continuous film edits. 

Does he even attend the dub sessions? I’ve seen video of him and Spielberg during Lincoln’s dub, but can’t imagine him sitting through loud dubs like Star Wars. I’d assume his music editor (whether Ramiro or Wannberg in the past) would be his eyes and ears during those sessions. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, we have partial but almost complete cue numbers and names for almost all of the Disney produced SW movies, including the still on theaters TROS, but not for Solo, with the exception of a handful of cues Powell revealed on his Facebook page. Why is that?

44 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

So, we have partial but almost complete cue numbers and names for almost all of the Disney produced SW movies, including the still on theaters TROS, but not for Solo, with the exception of a handful of cues Powell revealed on his Facebook page. Why is that?

See here (my attempt at sorting the music from the OST with the cue titles from the online music repertoires and John Powell's Facebook)

Here's just the known cue list on it's own:

Spoiler

Opening - John Powell
Bunk - Proxima - John Powell
1m4-5 Corellia Chase - Batu Sener
Spaceport - Anthony Willis
Mimban Battle Pt 2 - John Powell
Mimban Battle Pt 3 - John Powell
Blackmail - John Powell
Blackmail Cont'd - John Powell
The Beast - Batu Sener
2m13 Chewie Untamed Pt 1 - Anthony Willis
2m13 Chewie Untamed Pt 3 - John Powell
Surveying Conveyex - John Powell
Campfire - John Powell
2m16A Conveyex - John Powell
2m16B Enfys Nest Arrives - Batu Sener
Failed Heist - John Powell
Walk to Dryden's Pt 1 - John Powell
Walk to Dryden's Pt 3 - John Powell
3m18s Chicken in the Pot - John Powell
Dryden Yacht Duet - John Powell
Han & Qi'ra Reunite - John Powell
Yacht Party Source - John Powell
Meet Dryden - John Powell
Testing Dryden's Patience - Batu Sener
Lando - John Powell
Sabacc Game - John Powell
L3 & Falcon Pt 1 - John Powell
L3 & Falcon Pt 2 - John Powell
4m26 ALT Ending - Batu Sener
4m27 Family Stories B - John Powell
4m28 Lando's Closet - Anthony Willis
Trust No One - John Powell
Mines Pt.1: Heist - Paul Mounsey
4m30B Mines Pt.2: Finding Coaxium - John Powell
Mines Pt.2 Cont'd - John Powell
Mines Pt.3: Break-Out - John Powell
L3's Sacrifice - Anthony Willis
5m32 Kessel Run Pt 1 - TIE Chase - John Williams/John Powell
5m33a Kessel Run Pt 2 - Maw - Batu Sener
Kessel Run Pt 3 - Liftoff - John Powell
Kessel Run Pt 4 - Landing - John Powell
Savareen Tent A  - John Powell
Enfys Standoff - John Powell
Savareen Tent B - John Powell
Beckett Leaves - Anthony Willis
Back to Dryden's - John Powell
You Don't Know Everything - John Powell
Real Thing Double Cross - Paul Mounsey
Dryden Fight - Anthony Willis
Dryden Fight Pt 2 - John Powell
Qi'ra and Han - Anthony Willis
Skype Showdown - John Powell
Beckett Showdown - John Powell
Beckett Departs - John Powell
Savareen Tent B - Anthony Willis
Jungle Cantina Source - John Powell
Sabacc Rematch - John Powell
To Tatooine Pt 1 - John Powell
MOE - John Powell
Crawl - John Powell
The Han Solo Theme - John Williams

When I saw it, I found that weird too.

But if you look closely, you'll see that the OST version of Corellia Chase has 3:33, while Batu's version has 2:43. So, maybe when they were editing the movie, they decided they wanted to make the scene a little shorter, so they cut about 50s, and Batu had to adapt Powell's composition to fit the new runtime of the scene, as Powell himself was too busy recording other scenes for the movie. 

Anyone has the Blu Ray? It would be interesting to compare which version is on the film, if it is the original or Batu's shorter version.

Boy, we could use an FYC of this film right about now... thanks a lot, Disney. :bash:

That said, there might have been issues with credits on this score, considering Powell extensively used Williams' themes throughout the score. The Academy has convoluted rules when it comes to co-composers.

19 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

When I saw it, I found that weird too.

But if you look closely, you'll see that the OST version of Corellia Chase has 3:33, while Batu's version has 2:43. So, maybe when they were editing the movie, they decided they wanted to make the scene a little shorter, so they cut about 50s, and Batu had to adapt Powell's composition to fit the new runtime of the scene, as Powell himself was too busy recording other scenes for the movie. 

Anyone has the Blu Ray? It would be interesting to compare which version is on the film, if it is the original or Batu's shorter version.

The file on Batu Senor's site is simply cutdown, removing 01:34-02:24 of the OST.

• 1 month later...

Fascinating!  I hope a future expanded album has all those "demos" at the end as bonus tracks.

I'd imagine what happened is after that Powell (and his co-composers) began writing cue to (a possibly changing cut of the) picture, and sometimes were were able to keep the same material Williams had previously written and recorded integrated in, and sometimes not.  So even the cues that didn't really change much (like, probably, Dice and Roll) still got re-recorded with the rest of the the cues in London, even if they were able to retain portions that were the same as when Williams recorded them

It's quite curious what he means by "cues". I actually sort of doubt they were full scenes or sequences, more of a 30-60-second clips with variations on his own themes. Some of the brief segments you can hear on album sound like Williams doing his thing. There are probably 4-5 I can easily think of.

Karol

On 2/28/2020 at 6:36 PM, Falstaft (hiatus til TROS) said:

Notably, Williams, Powell, and Howard did a spotting session of the whole film.

Howard, James Newton???

I'd love to see him given the chance at Star Wars too...

37 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

What is "Parting Ways"...?

The piece linked in the post above as an example of what sounds like Williams.

1 minute ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Howard, James Newton???

I'd love to see him given the chance at Star Wars too...

Ron.

1 hour ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Ron.

Thanks.

It did indeed seem a bit on the unlikely side.

But not as much as:

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Actually, it was Bryce Dallas Howard. lol

;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He must have done something on it because I remember a video in which he was working on some percussion elements for this cue. Unless I confuse this with some another cue.

Karol

The track sounds too much like Powell to be just a Batu composition. Unless Sener has mastered the hability to imitate Powell, I guess this is primarily a Powell composition on which Batu made some arrangements.